Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
Just come across this article and sharing it because my vet recommended the flee collar. I did not used it yet for Ruger, and after this article will not conciser. Hope it may help to make a decision on using this collar to someone else. Scary stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
I keep a package of Advantage Multi in my cupboard. IF I see any indications of fleas, I will give him one dose.
Though I haven't used the flea killer in years.
A protected dog would not only draw fleas, but kill them on contact.
Almost like a Flea Vacuum...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I haven't read about the effects on dogs, but my family and I am allergic to something in them (topical treatments too) and have never put them on all 4 of my dogs (past and now).
We also don't agree with giving a pill like heart guard since essentially it's a toxin that then goes to the skin which kills the fleas and ticks. We just settle with brushing and keeping our eyes out for the bugs. We have not had a bug infestation since years ago.

Recently though, I came across Tickless and have been trying it out on my spoo and tzu. Seems to be going well, or that there are just no bugs (can't be because of the rain and insanely hot weather we've been having).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't read about the effects on dogs, but my family and I am allergic to something in them (topical treatments too) and have never put them on all 4 of my dogs (past and now).
We also don't agree with giving a pill like heart guard since essentially it's a toxin that then goes to the skin which kills the fleas and ticks. We just settle with brushing and keeping our eyes out for the bugs. We have not had a bug infestation since years ago.

Recently though, I came across Tickless and have been trying it out on my spoo and tzu. Seems to be going well, or that there are just no bugs (can't be because of the rain and insanely hot weather we've been having).
Thank you for sharing. I did not know about this product and it looks like a really good solution. We do have a lot of tiks and my last dog was bringing them home frequently even with the different products we have used. I will try it this summer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It would be interesting to know a) how many dogs have safely worn a Seresto collar, and b) how many of the reported deaths are because of counterfeit collars.

I don't have to worry about ticks, so I haven't tried them, but a vet friend of mine is in an area with horrible ticks (Lyme disease is bad, there, as well), and all her dogs wear, and have worn, Seresto collars for years without any issue.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
This thread has additional info

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I posted this on another thread about fleas, but it bears repeating: A safe product that kills fleas is diatomaceous earth. You can use it inside and outside. It is so safe that racehorse trainers feed it to their horses to kill internal parasites! I fed it to one of my horses when he first arrived from east Texas (fleas are not a problem here in high, dry New Mexico).

Diatomaceous earth is a powder made from the shells of extinct sea animals called diatoms. It is like chalk. It kills insects by getting into the breaks in their chitin (hard outside covering) and abrading the "skin" until they bleed out. I used it when I lived in northwest Florida - a place where insects of all types abound. Be thoughtful about using it in gardens because it does kill beneficial insects as well as harmful ones. The only precaution is to avoid inhaling the dust - it's not good for your lungs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts