Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my poodle lives with two other dogs. The flea treatments are not working on her. I have tried so many treatments to which all work on the other two, but my poodle is covered daily. I have resorted to giving her daily baths and combing out her fleas to help her with itchiness but by the next morning she has 50 more. I treat my carpets, I treat everything but they are only drawn to her. She has made her skin raw and dark and hard from biting so hard. I want to put a cone on her but I am worried that the itching may get to bad. Is flea season almost over in California? What can i do on top of chemicals ? I made an essential oil spray as well with lavender, tea tree, rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus and water and i spray her with that as well.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Did you follow the recommendations in your other thread about how to get rid of the fleas? As I recall putting a flea collar in your vacuum cleaner and daily vacuuming and a bunch of other ideas were floated for you, including finding out from your vet what flea remedies would be effective in your area. I think you are long past essential oils. Do something serious about getting the fleas out of your home and protecting your dog when she is out. If she is scratching as much as it sounds like she is then it sounds like she is really suffering and it is time to get super serious about fixing this. No waiting until the fleas season is over. Your dog needs you to step up to deal with this asap.

Reactions: kontiki and Mfmst

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
Call your vet and call a professional exterminator for your home and yard. I live in Houston and fleas used to be a disgusting problem before the advent of topicals and oral medications that actually work. Once your poodle is on something legit for an infestation, then you are the next target. Time to call on the pro’s.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
Definitely talk to your vet. You need something that not only kills the fleas but that stops them reproducing, and in the UK at least all the really effective ones are prescription only.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I didn't see if you ever said what treatment they're all on. If it's an OTC, it's not the right choice for the situation.

As others have said, contact your vet for what works best in your area and get them all on prescription flea and tick med asap as well as treating the environment. You must strike on all fronts to get the fleas gone.

I know the prescription meds are more expensive. Ask your vet if they'll give a prescription so you can buy online. Look for online sources like Petsmart, Petco, Walmart, 1 800 petmeds to check prices. You can find significant price differences. I personally use a company called Valley Vet, here in Kansas. For comparison, their current price for Bravecto 9.9-22 lbs 250 mg 2 ct $79.98 shipping FREE, Comfortis Dog 10-20 lbs Cat 6-12 lbs 6 ct $70.99 shipping FREE , Simparica 11.1-22 lbs 20 mg 6 ct $70.99 shipping FREE.

Your girl needs this to stop asap.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Fleas are the worst. But since this is recurring you have a big problem I'd guess both in your yard, and house. Have the vet give you some "Capstar" In 30 minutes the fleas will start dying and dropping off your dog. Then get her groomed. I'd send the dogs out to board while I have an exterminator come into the house and do the yard. In addition I would sprinkle around the base of my rooms with Food grade diatomaceous earth. I would also continue to spread this in my yard. Is Diatomaceous Earth a Super-Product? Be sure to change your vacuum bag if you have one . You are long pat the simple here you have to take effective measures and remember it not once and done, you will need to follow this regimen for at least a month. Oh and have you tried nexgard? I've used it on my dogs for 7 years and its effective.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I second the recommendation for using diatomaceous earth. Just be sure it is food grade, not the version used in swimming pool filters.

I had poodles in show coat in Florida, so fighting fleas was a big issue. I do not like using any products internally or on the skin - I do not like poisons of any kind in the environment, so using DE has always been my solution.

DE is a chalk-like substance that is composed of the almost microscopic shells of sea creatures called diatoms. It gets in between the segments of an insect's exoskeleton and lacerates the "skin" in those areas causing the insect to dehydrate. It is, therefore, perfectly safe for mammels. In fact, many horse owners feed it to their horses to kill intestinal parasites and to kill fly larvae in the manure. I fed it to my horses - 1/2 cup per day per horse. You can eat it yourself if you think you have worms!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The feed store where I worked sold the Diotomaceous Earth in 100# bags.

It work, really works. Wear a mask when sprinkling it around the house and yard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The feed store where I worked sold the Diotomaceous Earth in 100# bags.

It work, really works. Wear a mask when sprinkling it around the house and yard.
So is this safe for the dogs and my kids?? I got a new flea med it was $60 and it is working so well. The fleas are hardly there now which is great!!!!! I am going to try the earth stuff but i am nervous about my kids touching it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
'Hardly here now' does not count when it comes to fleas. It has to be absolutely zero! I hope you have professionally treated your home, twice, and your yard, as well as all of your dogs.

2 fleas = 1,000 quickly.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The food grade diatomaceous earth is safe to eat (if you want to rid yourself of intestinal parasites!). I used to feed it to my horses - 1/2 cup per horse every night. My purpose was to be sure fly maggots would not develop in the manure. Many horse breeders and exhibitors use it as do a number of dog kennels. The only danger is that you should not spread it in such a way that you could inhale it as it is tossed out.

Diatomaceous earth is composed of the shells of sea animals. It's rather like chalk. Your kids can handle it so long as they do not toss it in the air so that they breath it in. When I used it for my horses, I sometimes dusted the floor of the barn. I was careful not to use it in such a way the I breathed it in - but that was never really an issue.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That’s cool to hear about the diatomaceous earth for fleas. I haven’t dealth with them but I would sure follow everyone’s advice here! I am sorry you are dealing with it.
i have used diatomaceous earth however for silver fish. Was safe if used correctly:) Good luck.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
The fleas are unbelievably bad this year in CA! I was so scared to give Maizie anything after she's had bad reactions to Comfortis and Seresto, but today we tried Frontline and so far so good. Frosty also got Frontline, Zooey and Fiona got Comfortis, and Scout and Rue got Simparica. Even though I despise the idea of spraying the house and yard, that will have to be done this week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts