Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have three dogs. All three are treated with the same medicine for fleas and i treat my carpets ect. My two dogs have an occasional flea or two on them. My poodle everyday gets like 50 fleas and I have to bathe her and comb them out. I do not understand why though because the medicine works on the other dogs but for some reason not on her. So I switched to a different flea pill. Same issue, she had tons on her. She is eating her skin raw and its so sad. I am trying so hard to keep them off. I shaved her completely but to no avail. Does anyone have any tricks I can use to help my poor baby???

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
What flea medicines or treatments are you using? It might be useful to check with your vet. Sometimes certain brands become less effective in your particular locale and the vet should know which ones work.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
You mentioned that your other two dogs have the occasional flea too in addition to your poodle having 50. It sounds like your flea treatment isn’t effective and needs to be changed.

I know in my area some common flea treatments are no longer effective and that may be true where you live.

I agree, check with your vet, they usually know what’s effective.

·
Premium Member
22,882 Posts
Oh yes if your other dogs have occasional fleas then your flea med isn't working properly anymore. Some dogs will be more affected/more attractive to fleas than others. The same thing happens with people. I am a magnet for ticks (ugghhh). I can walk with other people and they never have a tick on them and I will find 5-10 on me in the same time frame and place. Your poodle is to fleas as I am to ticks.

Talk to your vet about this since it really does sound like the fleas in your area are resistant to your current controller.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Have you tried dusting your carpets, baseboards, and yard with diatomaceous earth? It kills insects by getting into the spaces between segments of their exoskeleton, but is absolutely safe for birds and mammals. Buy the edible variety, not the kind used in swimming pool filters. I used it for years when I lived on the Gulf coast (we are too high and dry for fleas here). I also used to feed it to my horses to kill fly larvae in their manure. It had the added benefit of ridding the horses of certain intestinal parasites.

I have never been a fan of treating dogs with flea medications. It's better, I think, to prevent fleas by treating the environment.

·
Premium Member
22,882 Posts
Johanna I like your view on controlling the environment, especially using something that is natural and safe like DE.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I had a very serious flea outbreak 5 years ago. We only had one dog and two cats at the time. Everyone were on frontline. Topical flea prevention does not work very well even after treating our home and yard. The only thing that worked for us was oral flea prevention such as comfortis or trifexis. It is expensive but we never had flea problems after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I haven't had a flea problem in like 7 years (knock on wood). You need to eliminate the source of where they are getting them (outdoor areas needs to be treated). Then you have to be sure inside is clean of them too, lots of vacuuming every day, we had de all over our house, not pleasant to look at of to vacuum up but it did the trick. All my dogs/cats were given a "capstr" to kill any fleas on them, then bathed and any flea was picked off, we placed them in a water filled cup with dawn so they wouldn't jump somewhere else. Then the dogs were put on nexgard. Never a flea problem since. I have long haired cats and though they didn't go outdoors if they got a flea on them I knew there was a problem. Now I have the cats on nothing and no more problems. I keep my lawn short and treat once a year .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts