Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The late Summer fleas are ridiculous this year! We have switched brands twice and wipe down with natural wipes, treat the cats and the environment- but every time we go for a walk, sticking to the side walks as much as possible- we come in with the little buggars. will keep at it but so tired. We have been using topical (Frontline plus gold and now Advantix). Ready to try Seresto or whatever the vet suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Maybe try Bravecto (for fleas and ticks)? I have used that for years and had good luck. When living in my apartment, I never had any flea issues as long as my dog was on Bravecto.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Second to Bravecto - it may seem a little more pricewise but you have to consider that it lasts 3 months. No problems, EVER - even tho Asta runs in the fields and woods.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
They apparently sell it as topical as well, but my dogs always get the chews. The chews last 3 months, and I think they are safer than trying to apply something to the skin.

Just a suggestion to make sure to compare the prices on Chewy with the prices at your vet's office for whatever you get! I was seriously overcharged at my vet's office.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Whatever you choose remember to check that it is safe to use around cats. Dog treatments often contain permethrin - safe for dogs but very dangerous for cats.

Reactions: Jpunelli

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fjm- good point, I will look into that.
Dogs4life- I will go for the deal. When I get supplies at Petsmart, I always check their online price because they price match it. It’s shocking really, on most items I save around 30%, sometimes 60 to 75%. The stores must set their own prices like a franchise or they just get away with what they can? Maybe someone on here works there:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use Simparica chew for Norman. Works magic for him!!!! We live on a mountain were ticks are everywhere (and a good bit of fleas). Once I gave this to him and I only find DEAD ticks on him and not one flea ever!! I take him on walks in the woods and on the street where he gets into grass/bushes and I never see any fleas ever!!

I never used a topical because of the very bad side effects these can have, and the collars can be worse! Sometimes the topical and collars can cause neurological issues for the animal and can even cause their legs to suffer. *Some* animals have experienced permanent damage from topical and collars. (But some animals do not experience bad side effects!!)
Used a collar on Norman for almost 2 weeks and I noticed he couldn't stop shaking his head (as if it was wet). He had never done this and he is use to wearing collars. After I took this off of him, he stopped shaking the next day. Talked to the vet and he believes it could have been the collar which was supposed to be "All Natural". Found out later how dangerous these can be for *some* animals.

I never thought flea and tick meds were so powerful and potentially neurologically harmful!
I myself tried to stick with more natural replants but I just can't risk Norman getting bit by a Lime Tick.

Hope you find something that works for you :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm another Simparica fan, although I've only used it for less than 1 year. Before that, I had tried topicals, which are disgusting to work with and either don't work (Frontline) or caused horrible neurological reactions (Advantix). Comfortis worked for half of our pack, but caused terrible side effects in the other half (neurological and gastrointestinal). Simparica has had no side effects in any of our six. And, it works! I hate using anything with toxins of any kind, but dealing with fleas and ticks is even more dangerous imho.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Shoot! I just bought some Capstar but read it just works for less than 24hrs. Hmmm... maybe I should’ve checked Simparica out instead

·
Registered
932 Posts
My boarding facility uses capstar on every incoming dog, no matter what else they're treated with. They don't take any chances on bringing fleas in the door.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there a good options out there, and we need to pay attention to our pups and be responsive whatever we choose. We wanted to do Bravecta (sp?) but I decided that I would go with our Vet’s recommendation- we are happily flea free with NexGard monthly chewable, and the cats are using Frontline Gold. We have been diligent with the environment and FINALLY broke the cycle thank God in heaven. The infestation was an insane war- enough to make me forget about the coat change battle! I have arthritis like pain in my combing hand most mornings, hoping that will subside:)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
When I lived in Florida and Texas I used diatomaceous earth to manage fleas. It kills insects but does not affect mammals at all, in fact it is commonly fed to horses and cattle. The only down side is that it kills beneficial insects as well as undesirable ones. Therefore, I never used it in the garden, just in the dog runs and in the house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts