Poodle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Maybe I am just lucky, but I don't apply any kind of flea/tick preventative- and still have never seen a flea on the poodles. Ticks we just pull off, and they are mostly on Harley who loves to hang out in the bushes.
I do supplement with raw garlic and bathe them on a regular basis with Dawn detergent or doggy shampoo. My 12.5 yr old suffers with SA so frequent oil bath followed by multiple washes with a strong detergent are a must every few weeks.
I don't think that in my neck of the woods, here in northern NJ, fleas are big problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lucy and I just went through the "flea epidemic" last week. We had Frontline put on her when she got her 1st puppy shot last year, and I thought if we were careful enough (ie make sure she only plays with dogs we know that are on prevention, check her thoroughly each time after a dog park visit etc.), we wouldn't need this poison put on her. Boy I was wrong, we visited DH's nephew a couple of weeks ago, they have a poodle mix, which seemed clean btw. I checked afterwards but didn't find anything. Lucy then started behaving miserably, not herself, and we found flea dirt on her. I couldn't get my hands on Advantix fast enough. Luckily they seem to vanished, thank God. We'll probably need to use Advantix for the rest of the summer, and I'm going to try a lavender and rosemary oil mixture for the winter months and see if it works too.

So poodles definitely get fleas.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Ticks we just pull off
This is irresponsible. Ticks carry NASTY diseases like Lyme, Anaplasmosis, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Ticks have a 2 year life cycle. They are infectious in the nymph phase. You will never find a tick nymph on a dog - they are impossibly tiny.

Check with your vet for the specific disease threats in your region to make a plan (vaccine, topical treatment, environment treatments) to protect your dog from ticks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well Tortoise, you are making a value judgment here that I do not accept.
My flea and tick protocols for my four standards have worked for near on 40 years, and are endorsed by a wonderful breeder, ParrisHill of NJ.
I will stick to to my principle, which is to accept the small risk of Lyme disease being contracted by my dogs, easily cured with one round of antibiotics( happened once), rather than overwhelm their bodies, and possibly my families', with a regime of toxic chemicals.
So, we will have to politely agree to disagree- so I would never call you 'irresponsible' for introducing multiple chemicals into your house.
To each his own?:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am also "irresponsible", as I don't treat my four adults for heartworm, either. I have bat houses, and martin houses, and haven't seen a mosquito here in at least ten years. I have had them heartworm tested occasionally, all negative so far. As far as ticks go... I use confortis for those guys in the summer only, but only on my dogs, not on my kids or myself : ).

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Toroise has an important point though delivered in a way that makes it harder to swallow. I personally am extremely uncomfortable with the approach of just pulling ticks off. My family's first poodle developed Rocky Mountain Spotted
Fever shortly after we pulled off an attached tick. It was catastrophic to his health and seemed to impact is immune system from then until his death a few years later. The risk of tick borne diseases IMO far outweighs the risk of using Frontline as needed for ticks.

It seems the idea that Lyme can be treated with antibiotics is integral to your comfort in the approach of just removing attached ticks. However, Lyme remains in the dog's system forever, long after treatment, inevitably stressing the immune system of the dog, arguably more than having just prevented the disease to begin with.

As I understand it, there is a window of time between the time a tick becomes attached and the time before most tick borne diseases can be transmitted. I'm not sure exactly how long but I usually feel safe within 48 hours. The problem with relying on this approach is that many ticks will not be seen until they are engorged and have thus been on well over 2 days and have already transmitted any disease. I use Frontline only if I will be in a tick infested area within one month of the application. In other words, if I go to a woodsy area, I'll likely put it on right before or after visiting.

I DESPISE using chemicals like Frontline. But using it only a couple of times a year is FAR less risky, in my opinion, than a lifelong of Lyme in the body.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I remain unconvinced, even though you, Millie, delivered the same message, but in a most neutral way.
Thank you for sharing your experience with ticks and the damage they can cause, and perhaps, someone else will take heed.
It probably helps that my dogs are examined on a daily basis, and though I live in a tick hotspot, I rarely see any ticks on them. Msisy hasn't had a tick on her in weeks. I just won’t use any topical flea or tick preventatives,ever. I fear the long term effects of being exposed to topical preventatives, so that rules them out.
It is better, I think, to get a titer if you are worried about your dogs having been bitten/exposed to ticks.

Zack was diagnosed with Lyme when he was about 6 years old and lived to a good age of 12 years- with no discernible loss of vitality; he succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, a malady more frequently occurring in neutered male dogs?

ParrisHill protocol for fleas/ticks.

Recommendations About Ticks and Fleas

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
All I can say is, this thread gives me a shiver every time I see it. I even so much as think Beau has a flea, and we'll probably have to move or I'll never stop itching. And G_d help me if he ever gets a tick, cause this 6'2" man is going to get hysterical.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
All I can say is, this thread gives me a shiver every time I see it. I even so much as think Beau has a flea, and we'll probably have to move or I'll never stop itching. And G_d help me if he ever gets a tick, cause this 6'2" man is going to get hysterical.
LOL, this made me laugh. I'm sure that if your dog ever did get fleas or ticks I know you'd "Man Up" and handle it. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
That was the 2nd breeder that has told me that poodles don't get fleas, both have breed and showed for over 20 years. The first time I heard it, I thought , sure your dogs never get out of your treated backyard, but after hearing it again, I thought maybe they could be right. Thanks!
This is sooo not true. Poodles will get fleas!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sentry natural defense on mine---not a flea. No chemicals are going on mine, as long as I can help it. The ingredients in this are (taken from the pkg) peppermint oil, cinammon oil, lemon grass oil, clove oil, thyme oil & vanilla. It also turns them into moving air fresheners. It is a very strong smell & it can discolor light colored dogs. But, mine are all darker, so that's fine.

Yep, in my area, poodles get fleas---and even really nice homes get fleas.
Oh good to know someone who uses it and says it works! I was looking at that brand as I don’t want to use the chemical ones..I also have two kids and our home is already as chemical free as can be since we have a lot scent and chemical allergies. ours is a white poodle though 🤔

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

This is a thread that went dormant in 2012, was resurrected for 1 post in 2017, and now you have landed here. If you use the Search function you'll find more recent threads on flea and tick control.

Your reluctance to introduce chemicals unnecessarily into your environment is understandable but if you really want to get rid of or keep fleas from a dog, another environmentally safe way is to give the oral flea control. These must be purchased thru your vet or thru a pet pharmacy with an RX from your vet.

If you'd consider starting your own thread in Poodle Health you'll get responses from currently active members.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts