Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a Breeder the other day and she made a comment that Poodle rarely, if ever get fleas. That was news to me... I have been using Frontline on Carley, but if I don't need to, I'd rather not. Has anyone on here ever had a flea problem with their poodle? I know if I stop, I will have to check her daily for ticks, but that's a great trade off for not putting poision on my dog.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have a friend whose toy poodle got fleas while on vacation in south Carolina. So yes poodles can get fleas just like any other dog. My kids have an occasional one but we treat them and our yard to keep occurrence down.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the 2nd breeder that has told me that poodles don't get fleas, both have breed and showed for over 20 years. The first time I heard it, I thought , sure your dogs never get out of your treated backyard, but after hearing it again, I thought maybe they could be right. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Oh they do get fleas, and when they do...YIKES! My son brought our Grand puppy here when they came for dinner, and they did not know it, but she had fleas. Before we knew it, we were over run with them. After hundreds of dollars on flea shampoo and three topical monthly treatments for everyone, we finally got things under control. BIG time nuisance!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Poodles get fleas like any other dog...my own get one or two occasionally and I can't tell you how many need to have flea shampoo applied at work. Have you ever tried taking Carley off preventative? I don't have to use it. Like I said, mine only get one or two occasionally and that's usually after a rain or after a heavily infested dog comes in to be groomed and they are there. I don't think that small amount justifies heavy, expensive chemicals. ;)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have let Carley go past time for her flea meds and I did notice her scratching, so she got the meds and it stopped. I know for sure that my shih tuz will get a few fleas without Frontline. I think it would be impossible to see a flea on Carley's thick , dark coat. I guess I will keep using Frontline. I will add that she is 50 lbs and I use a 40lb dose and it works fine. Thanks everyone. I figured that was the case, but was hoping ...

·
Registered
483 Posts
When I got Riley he was INFESTED with fleas! It was terrible! I was so scared that my apartment would never be free of them if I even waited an hour...so I got online and searched for how to get rid of them!! I gave him a bath and then took him directly out on the porch and soaked him in a storage tub that I filled with dish soap and warm water! No more fleas and I was able to sleep easy! :)
About a week after that...vet visit and flea prevention! :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
we use the thing from the vet -Vectra 3D, not the store, and it does not smell and is not a greasy mess... it repels and kills ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, etc... since we are in heavy lyme and something else territory, it just seems safer...
sarah

·
Registered
531 Posts
We have goats next door and wild cats that the owner takes care of so fleas are a problem. I accidently forgot to put frontline back on Sandy and yep she got them. So now we are treating the yard and she's got frontline on. I felt bad seeing the little buggers on her.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Two years ago we had a serious problem with fleas here in Houston. My husband was spraying the yard once a week (with a product that was supposed to kill fleas and ticks for 3 weeks per application) as well as treating the house and the two dogs. Poor little Sasha was scratching herself raw, I was even bathing her once a week. No matter what we did we couldn't get rid of them. We finally took them back to the vet and he dipped both of them in this horrible smelling stuff that I hope we never have to do again. We also used Capstar and then put them on Comfortis because NONE of the topical treatments the doctor had given us were working. Since then we have not had a problem. Knock on wood, I never want to go through that again!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sentry natural defense on mine---not a flea. No chemicals are going on mine, as long as I can help it. The ingredients in this are (taken from the pkg) peppermint oil, cinammon oil, lemon grass oil, clove oil, thyme oil & vanilla. It also turns them into moving air fresheners. It is a very strong smell & it can discolor light colored dogs. But, mine are all darker, so that's fine.

Yep, in my area, poodles get fleas---and even really nice homes get fleas.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Don't know what those breeders were thinking... that's like advertising poodles as "hypoallergenic"! If they've been breeding/showing/owning for over 20 years, they should know better.
Poodles get fleas just like every other dog. The only reason I can think someone would say they don't is because they get bathed often, but even that's a silly reason to say they don't ever get fleas.

Even Desmond has gotten fleas this summer! I brought them back form my job by accident and despite quitting 2 weeks ago, I just found 4 on him today during a bath. SO frustrating!! He's on preventatives and gets regular baths, the little buggers just linger. They've caused a horrible skin rash on my poor cat who's highly allergic, and it's just the most obnoxious thing.

I figured if both critters were on prev. and got regular baths, we would be fine! Even 2 weeks after being far away from fleas they're still around. It's very aggravating.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is no advantage to using expensive "Flea Soap" over using the mildest baby shampoo you can find. Any soap will kill fleas, not by poison, by drowning. A flea can survive for hours under water on your dog. Add a little soap and the flea will drown in seconds.

To prove this to my wife I created an experiment. I caught a live roach, not difficult in Florida, and dropped it into the toilet. The roach swam around attempting to find a way out. After more than an hour my wife watched as I added 1 drop of baby shampoo to the water. The roach instantly sank to the bottom and in seconds stopped moving.

"The Ultimate Flea Trap" is a product I use. It is a night light suspended over a sticky pad. The low heat from the light mimics the heat given off by cats and dogs. The fleas go to the heat, fall on the sticky pad and remain there for your viewing satisfaction.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dog Catcher, I have found live fleas on my shih tuz after a shampoo. She is white with pink skin and if she is wet they can easily be seen and caught. I always check her after a bath.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Whether your dogs are bothered by fleas all the time, or hardly ever, may be depending on the climate you live in. On mine I do find the occasional flea, but not a whole lot. Before going to the dog park, I recently started spraying both dogs with a homemade spray containing apple cider vinegar, lavender oil, tea tree oil, and neem oil. It stinks, and I can't really tell if it helps (yet), but I don't like to use chemicals. I also vacuum the house more than once a week, and every once in a while, before I vaccuum, I sprinkle the carpet with baking soda to which I add a few drops of lavender oil. It smells nice (if you like the smell of lavender), and supposedly fleas dislike the scent.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't get fleas, but I live in one of the most flea-infested areas in the country (Southeastern US) and a climate that harbors fleas.

My poodles aren't on prevention. However, the non-poodles in my house are on monthly prevention (trifexis). Occasionally, I will see a flea on one of the girls and then they get a treatment, but to me that's much better than putting chemicals on them all the time. I do take measures to keep fleas away. They get garlic a few times a week, eat high quality food, and get weekly baths where I can check thoroughly for and get rid of any fleas that I find.

Nova hasn't had flea meds for the entire year I've had her. She just doesn't seem to attract them. Sookie picked up a couple fleas after she moved back to GA from NY, and I gave her a comfortis and haven't seen any more fleas on her since then. The other standard girl that I have here had a couple fleas on her during a groom a couple months ago and got a comfortis, and again no more problems since.

So I prefer to manage it on a case-by-case basis rather than giving flea meds monthly. I haven't had enough of a problem with fleas to merit that kind of regimen. But I know in some areas, or for some dogs, it's a much bigger issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oscar had fleas last year. Even on his flea/tick. Now, in addition to the flea&tick (vectra), we spray him with Quadruped flea spray, which is all natural. It seems to help, because, knock wood, I haven't seen a flea yet this summer ! I likely just jinxed him !

Kell

·
Super Moderator
1,072 Posts
My guys picked up fleas from a friend's dog. So did a bunch of other dogs; we had a flea epidemic. My indoor only cat picked up fleas from the poodles. The cat then got worms from fleas ingested while grooming.

All my house pets went off to the vet to get dewormed. They also got put on a monthly topical flea treatment for the duration of the summer. My equine vet, who was casually acquainted with most of the dogs and treats some of them in the small animal side of his practice, recommended that we put flea collars on my dogs for the first couple of weeks after the fleas showed up. I don't normally like to use heavy duty pesticides like this, but I did NOT want a continuous cycle of reinfestation. (I don't think the vet wanted to be dealing with it either.) Fortunately everyone affected by the outbreak took measures to get the fleas under control in their own households, and we were able to break the cycle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts