Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our other dog Socks (Aussie shep/Catahoula x) got out and ran thru the alley yesterday. This is after a very severe rain storm... Lots of dirt and debris was kicked up..

Anyway, she ended up getting herself soaked and dirty... Was rolling in the dirt, etc... Later in the day, I noticed little black bugs running thru her hair and she kept itching.. Especially her ears. My boyfriend says fleas.. I seem to think they are just bugs from the dirt. Anyway, we washed her with mint shampoo and a lavendar conditioner, then rinsed her off with 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar. As a home remedy, will this do the trick to rid her off the fleas/bugs? Any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks!!! :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard about the dish soap but not the murphys oil... I have heard about using diluted pine sol for flies!... Seems kinda harsh!

I'm also concerned because I don't want Snoops to get fleas/bugs. Considering he was just neutered a few days ago and wouldn't be able to have a bath if he did catch it...

We have looked thru Socks' hair and don't see anything, but who knows if there are eggs, etc... Guess it's best to keep the two dogs separated??? :(

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Since Snoops is lighter, I think you'd be able to see any fleas. It does sounds like Socks got fleas. Do you use any kind of preventative on the dogs or your home. I don't like the topical flea control (won't get into to here), but I do spray my yard a couple times a year. It works, wonderfully, at my house, but I have to be careful about what my dogs are exposed to elsewhere. (I did have the vet put some stuff on Harley when I boarded him last month.) I've heard Dawn works, but it only kills the fleas on them at that time. I don't think it works as a preventative. There are various natural preventatives, you can buy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since Snoops is lighter, I think you'd be able to see any fleas. It does sounds like Socks got fleas. Do you use any kind of preventative on the dogs or your home. I don't like the topical flea control (won't get into to here), but I do spray my yard a couple times a year. It works, wonderfully, at my house, but I have to be careful about what my dogs are exposed to elsewhere. (I did have the vet put some stuff on Harley when I boarded him last month.) I've heard Dawn works, but it only kills the fleas on them at that time. I don't think it works as a preventative. There are various natural preventatives, you can buy.
Socks used to take Frontline... Not quite sure why we stopped that. So no, neither dog takes any sort of preventative measures. I guess Interceptor is just for heartworm, etc... Both dogs take that.

I washed all the linens, swept and vacuumed... But not quite sure what else to do for the home to avoid fleas, eggs, etc....

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Actualy ANY shampoo you use will kill fleas if you let it sit on the dog for a few minutes before you rinsed. No need to use dishsoap, though I see it as a well known flea remedy, lack of education maybe? There is actualy there is never a need to use dishsoap unless maybe you're pulling dye out of hair. My stepmother(she's a hairstylist) told me to do that when I tried to do my hair a more strawberry blonde and ended up with orphan annie orange lol. It did help :) There are some groomers, I used to work for one, who use various dish soaps in place of shampoo or as a sort of pre-wash before they use their real shampoo. I feel this is cheap personaly, I know my clients would be super unhappy with me if I did such a thing, and can possibly cause some skin issues. When I used it on Jazz to try and pull the red out of her hair it dried her skin and coat something awful. I would hesitate to reccomend the method to somebody who's dog was already itchy.

As for the home remedy I HAVE heard of making flea repellent sprays and shampoos with essintial oils. One of the repellents I saw was made of peppermint and lavender oil.

Apple cider viniger is supposed to change the ph of the skin and prevent reinfestation... according to what I read somewhere online.

You can also salt your carpets before vaccuming this is supposed to help.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderpup.. I can always count on you for some great advice... Thanks! :). And everyone else as well... A great big thank you!

The salt on carpets sounds like a great idea. I didnt have the essential oils handy last night at 11:30pm, to make the repellent.. Not really something that i keep readily in the cupboard. Haha. But I do use a mint shampoo on myself as well as a lavendar conditioner! It's all natural and organic, no parabens, no alcohol, etc so figured it would be helpful for Socks' flea problem. I use the conditioner on Snoops from time to time and it makes his coat so soft and shiny forever..!

Poor Socks is still in "quarantine"... And Snoops is still recovering from his neuter.. It's like a dog hospital here!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Never say never WP ;) I use Dawn Dishsoap as a pre wash then I need to use less of my normal dog shampoo and the dogs get much cleaner. I always, always dilute it first. It can dry out a coat if you use it full strength or do not follow up with a normal shampoo. BTW Cheap is not a bad thing ;)

Anyway it sounds like you did a good job so far of cleaning your house but I would do a total clean again in about a week just to get any that may have been missed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts