Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread on comfortis, I think I spelled it wrong, got me thinking about flea protection. I will need to get something on Poppy for the first time in the next month or so. In the past I have used Frontline on our mix breed, she lives with Mom now due to Logan's allergies, and it works fine on her. So, what do you use for flea protection and do you like the way it works?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am leaning towards advantix because I am in the south, lots of skeeters here!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do NOT use Advantix on dogs ,if you have an indoor cat..My Greyhound group said to use Advantage but several months later all the dogs had ticks. Greyhound Group said switch to Frontline Plus.....It works!!!! Yeh!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Olie, I'm in SC too. We are currently trying to get rid of fleas right now, and I think they are infested in the yard. Are fleas a big problem here in the summer? Does warmer weather affect them? I just moved here, I'm a Nebraska native.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Olie, I'm in SC too. We are currently trying to get rid of fleas right now, and I think they are infested in the yard. Are fleas a big problem here in the summer? Does warmer weather affect them? I just moved here, I'm a Nebraska native.
Welcome to SC!

Yes we do have fleas and LOT'S of mosquitos here. In SC we have to be extra careful when using products because we have all 3 as an issue (ticks more in your area) and from what I have been reading as well as recommedations off here this is the best fit. ^^Aparently if you have cats it may be a problem.

It sounds to me like your yard is infested though - I would call someone to come treat the yard ASAP before the heat starts which is right around the corner.

Watch out for the fire ants too, we get those BIG TIME too.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
As i stated in the other thread, i like frontline and sentinel.
I have seen your thoughts on this.....what about advantix? Geez, I just heard a horror story on Frontline, I get so confused anymore:doh:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ew. I hate fire ants. We are going to be treating the yard in the next week or so. Do you know anything about treating the yard yourself (as it's the cheaper option)? We do have one outdoor cat, and he has fleas but will be treating him and the dog as soon as we get the yard treated. I did give Fly a flea bath, but I saw one or two on her belly this afternoon. UGH!

and thank you for the Welcome. I love it here so far, it's so beautiful!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Olie i honestly have no experience with that product. We dont carry it, and i dont think any of our clients use it. I hope whatever you use works for you though!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Do NOT use Advantix on dogs ,if you have an indoor cat..My Greyhound group said to use Advantage but several months later all the dogs had ticks. Greyhound Group said switch to Frontline Plus.....It works!!!! Yeh!!!
LoL, the only danger really in using Advantix in the presence of an indoor cat (and I KNOW b/c it's all we use- period and we have indoor cats) is if you put the Advantix ON the cat OR the cat is really obsessed with your dog(s) and snuggles with them and rubs the Advantix off on themselves and/or injests it. It states clearly on the label that you are not to directly apply the product to cats, but here where I live some, rednecks do it anyway. They amazingly STILL have their cat... The vet and I were talking about this recently as a matter of fact.

Advantix, comfortis, and I am assuming the new Vectra 3D (just applied this new one to the two little dogs to try it out - half a dose each) all work well here in northwest Florida. Frontline does not, nor does anything you can purchase at walmart or in a petstore. It's got to be the good stuff or you'll have fleas for sure. If I had a nickel for every hartz user who was mad that they still had fleas lol... Advantage MAY work here, honestly don't know. I don't ever suggest it to clients anymore because there are more waterproof options these days that don't wash off as easily. Revolutions works for my cats, but they never leave the house. Products like sentinal or program don't work here, I have a box of it actually it was a freeebie from a drug rep when I worked at the vet clinic. I didn't like it.

I honestly hear good things about comfortis but I am not comfortable giving an internal preventative that has to be given every month in order to work (heartworm preventative excluded in that statement). I like the Adavantix because I have found that I can control how much and how often the dogs are treated. I get a good 6-8 weeks of 100% flea freedom out of half a dose each for the spoos. I also treat the yard though and do a lot of flea prevention in the house. The topicals are not the only thing I use, and this year I'm going to experiment with some dietary changes and see if they yield results to lessen even more my use of them. My dogs have been getting ACV in their water daily and I'm surprised to say that seems to have helped slightly. They are less likely to pick up fleas, though it's not full proof. Going to try Flea Treats (do a keyword search) this year as I've heard some great things about them from other groomers here in the south. I really like the protection from mosquitos since we live close to several small steams and wetland type areas, and by close I mean they are IN our neighborhood lol. I have never seen a tick on any of my dogs before, no matter what I am or am not using. Though I've seen them on plenty of client's dogs... ewwww!!

The vet cautioned me to wear gloves when applying a medication for an ear infection several months ago, suggested I not apply it at all while I was pregnant. She wasn't sure it was hurt me or baby really but she said you never can be to careful. That got me thinking and back to researching and I am leaning more towards some of the more "natural" flea fighters. Somebody posted a recipe for a flea spray they made and took with them to dog shows last year. Sounded like it smelled good and I want to try that. You can find all sort of recipes and tips/tricks online for that kind of thing but with a grain of salt of course. Natural doesn't always = safe.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Has anyone heard of At Last fly spray (I know we have some horse folks here) This is supposed to be a cedar oild based "all natural, organic" spray. They make one for dogs to repell fleas and other bugs. A rep brought me a sample this past summer but I was soooo ill from 'the sickness' I couldn't stand the smell and gave it away. I can't find it anywhere around here though I might have to order a bottle to try out on the dog beds and stuff.

I did some research on the oils in it at the time and of course for every article you find that says it's 100% safe you find one that says it might not be.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wonderpup you said "I get a good 6-8 weeks of 100% flea freedom out of half a dose each for the spoos." Are you getting the correct weight size Advantix for you spoo and then only putting on half? That would be a great cost saver if I understand what you are doing correctly. Plus you indicated you use it every 6-8 weeks with out a problem, that would be great also.

Like I stated I've used Frontline in the past, but our mosquitos are getting worse each year and I might want to protect her against those blood suckers also.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have any of you heard of or used Diatomaceous Earth? I was doing some research on non-chemical alternatives to ridding fleas (as my 3 week old niece will be coming to stay with us in the very near future). Here is the link I came across:http://eartheasy.com/live_non-toxic_flea_control.html

Oh and I also understand this just kills the fleas, so I will have to invest in something that stops the life cycle.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Have any of you heard of or used Diatomaceous Earth? I was doing some research on non-chemical alternatives to ridding fleas (as my 3 week old niece will be coming to stay with us in the very near future). Here is the link I came across:http://eartheasy.com/live_non-toxic_flea_control.html

Oh and I also understand this just kills the fleas, so I will have to invest in something that stops the life cycle.
I have been using it for about 3 years now. Its can bee applied all over the dog, your yard and be given as a de-worm. We have even had friends put it in their carpet and let it sit over night then vacuum and it kills just about any kind of bug. It will even keep snakes away lol.

Be sure to get the food grade though ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I ordered some from Amazon last night and did NOT get the food grade. I got one that was for insects and gardens. Is this NOT ok to rub into the coat or consumption? I probably wont' be giving it as a wormer since it's not food grade. I will have to order some more. I ordered a 1.5 lb bag just to test it and see if it works. This is what I ordered, as I didn't want to spend a lot of money at first: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQT1HQ/ref=oss_product

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Eartheasy sounds interesting. I use beneficial nematods in the yard to control several different pests that are prevalent here in Texas. They will feed on fleas, termites, fire ants, june bugs, ECT. It can take a couple applications to get their population up and a few weeks for them to get rid of the pest population. They are natural and keep infestations from neighbors taking hold.

Only caution is not to apply chemical fertilizer as it will kill them and to keep the ground moist. There are several organic fertilizers available. Course, I like to recommend the one my husband sells through AGGrand at

http://trulube.com Click on Online Store then Click on the AGGrand tab (upper right corner)

http://www.pethealthandnutritioncenter.com/store/product/beneficial-nematode-control-for-fleas/

I like the above site for nematodes. It explains which varieties work best for your area and pest problems. They might seem like they cost a lot, but it's a lot less than a termite treatment (at least for my yard).

I still use Interceptor and Advantix. There are a LOT of mosquitos and some ticks in my area. Once I find a more natural way to go, I will certainly like to find a better alternative.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have to do more research on nematodes. They sound like they would work great in our flower beds? Nothing grows in them at the moment but I think the cat and dog do some traipsing around in them and that might be where some fleas are invading.
I just came across the eartheasy site while doing some flea research, I like the website. It has some pretty fun and interesting bloggage and articles. lol.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
This whole thread makes me glad I live in North Dakota!! I've never had a single flea on any of my pets - I've never had one in the house - I've never seen any in the yard - EVER!!! When I managed the humane society, we'd occasionally get flea infested dogs in but they were usually farm dogs or neglected, abandoned, etc... A couple of good flea shampoos would usually eradicate the problem... I used to use a flea and tick product on my dogs when I worked there because they would run in the fields/pastures around the shelter and pick up ticks like crazy (I got tired of ticks crawling off of the dogs and onto ME in bed!!) :scared: I think it was Advantix and it seemed to work just fine.

I guess the lack of high flea population is one good thing about the deep freeze we have to live in for 6 months out of the year!! :smow:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts