Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone

Our poodle does not arrive until late summer, but I am doing so much research right now to be prepared. My husband and I recently had 2 beautiful German Shepherds, that were a huge part of our family and are missed terribly. They both died at 10 years of age.
This will be our first Standard poodle.
My question today is regarding "annual flea & heartguard" to protect against fleas and heartworm. With our shepherds, we did this anually, starting in June of each year. Will this be necessary with our poodle as well?. I am currently researching all information on vaccinations and 'overvaccinating', and I want to know about the flea and heartguard for Standard Poodles.
I find being prepared and well read to be quite Productive!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your help and advice.
Macker

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would do HW medication without a doubt! There are really not that many reactions with HW meds, and the disease is so bad that its not worth the risk (obviously dogs can die from it, but if they do survive the worms have already done an immense amout of damage!!).

Do you have alot of fleas/ticks in your area? I would go as needed on that depending on how bad they are in your area.

Edited to add Congrats on your new baby!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yes your dog should be protected against heartworm, no matter his or her breed.

you should do this year round, many people take a break from heartworm preventatives in the colder months, but they wouldn't if they understood how heartworm preventatives work.

A mosquito bites your dog, and heartworm larvae are let into the bloodstream (the mosquito carries them) the larvae swim around in the blood stream and maturing into adult heartworm, and reproducing little larvae of their own, which are then picked up by more mosquitoes and transmitted to other animals. A heartworm takes 2-3 months to mature into an adult, and an adult can live 2-3 years before dying off.
Now what heartguard, or any other brand of heartworm preventative does is kill the larvae ONLY. Essentially your pet gets infected every day/month, and you then kill those larvae each month.

If you take a break in the winter, you could still have active larvae present in your pets blood stream.

I personally do not take the chance of allowing heartworms to mature, I keep my pets on preventative all year.

Fleas: I use a preventative year round because I live in an area that is warmish all year (North Carolina) and I also am a groomer in a salon where animals do haave fleas sometimes, I can not afford to be having my dogs itch all their hair out, get tapeworms from fleas, or be unhappy. my mom lives in Michigan, and does not work in an environment where she is constantly exposed to fleas, and she takes her pets off of flea prevention after the first few frosts.
If I lived somewhere that actually had real snow :smow: and did not worry about constantly bring fleas home, I would take mine off of preventative in the cold months.
I personally love comfortis (flea tablet) and advantage multi (flea,tick heartworm,and more topical)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,
Thank you Bigpoodleperson for the information and the congrats, though the wait is difficult, it will be well worth it!!

Hi Frostfirestandards, your information is enlightening and helpful, and we will definately do the heartworm year round. It is scary to think that the adult heartworm can live that long. I live in Ontario, Canada, and the winters can be looooooong, and cold and generally yucky, so I guess fleas will not be a problem then.

Thanks again for taking the time to write

1 - 4 of 4 Posts