Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started using a flea collar as I was going to board my mini for a few days; it was required. She became very lethargic and quiet after a week or two. I thought is was medicine she had been on previously, at first. However, I took the flea collar off and by the next morning she was much better. Fine, in a few days. It was one of the Bayer ones, Seresto. Perhaps others are aware of this possible reaction, but thought I would mention it. Net research indicates reactions are much more common than initially suggested.

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
So disturbing :(

We want to board Peggy for a week in the spring and I am trying to figure out the safest possible flea preventative that they will accept. I've never used one on any of my dogs, collar or pill.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Maizie got VERY sick from the Seresto collar! I have switched to Simparica flea control (it's a chewable tablet taken monthly) and all of our dogs do well on it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bravecto works well for Jessie.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will talk with my vet; I assume they are prescription. I would rather leave her off of it. She has had two fleas in five years. I think we can avoid ticks. What do people think?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I use Nexgard on all 4 of my dogs for over 5 years without any adverse reactions. My daughter recently switched one of the dogs to Bravecto, since she only has to give it, I think every 3rd month as opposed to monthly. So far so good. My cairn has reaction to flea bites and she hasn't had one in 6 years now. We live in the South and there can be plenty of fleas. I do not like collars or topical.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I will talk with my vet; I assume they are prescription. I would rather leave her off of it. She has had two fleas in five years. I think we can avoid ticks. What do people think?
If you've only had 2 fleas in 5 years, I would skip flea meds! We have to give them in California, a flea fest.

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
Maybe I'm being foolish, but I've just never used them. We've lived in a variety of locations, too, from big cities to crazy humid North Carolina to California's central coast to a remote town in western Washington.

Gracie had fleas once after moving into short-term rental that had previously housed a mostly outdoor dog. I soaked lemons overnight in water, rinsed her with the liquid the next day, let her dry in the sun, and never saw another flea.

Maybe just dumb luck?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hadn't heard of lemons. The second time I found a flea on Mox, i washed her with water and a small amount of Dawn soap and vinegar. It worked apparently. And she was softer and smelled better than with the shampoos for dogs. I would only use them if she were a hiking partner or if a sitter requires them. Many do around here.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I haven’t had a problem with the Seresto collar and have been using it for a few years now. It is the only product that has kept the ticks away. Even with the topicals, they would get a tick now and then. However, I truly don’t remember what products I used at this point and it may be there are better products now. A friend of mine uses Bravecto and swears by it.

In this area, upstate NY, ticks are the big problem. Years ago, as a kid and young adult I remember having terrible problems with fleas, and using all those old icky flea powders, sprays, etc. I even flea bombed the house once as it was the era of wall to wall carpeting and they were living in the carpet. Yuck. But now, it’s the ticks, and the risk of tick borne diseases. One of my dogs does test positive for Lyme, although she is asymptomatic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven’t had a problem with the Seresto collar and have been using it for a few years now. It is the only product that has kept the ticks away. Even with the topicals, they would get a tick now and then. However, I truly don’t remember what products I used at this point and it may be there are better products now. A friend of mine uses Bravecto and swears by it.

In this area, upstate NY, ticks are the big problem. Years ago, as a kid and young adult I remember having terrible problems with fleas, and using all those old icky flea powders, sprays, etc. I even flea bombed the house once as it was the era of wall to wall carpeting and they were living in the carpet. Yuck. But now, it’s the ticks, and the risk of tick borne diseases. One of my dogs does test positive for Lyme, although she is asymptomatic.
I know, when we lived in CT, ticks were a big problem. I really think two of my dogs died from Lyme complications, certainly suffered, even with tick collars, meds etc. Haven't had a problem in WA, but we aren't hikers. My last pup took a monthly pill, and she was always sick the day she took it. I think it is a trade off, like human treatments.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The topicals do not work (fleas have become resistant to them), and can possibly have very bad adverse effects.

Seresto and the oral meds DO work, but some have terrible adverse affects. It just depends on how each individual dog reacts. But the most conservative combination that works is using Heartgard Plus and Simparica. I know from experience owning/fostering dozens of dogs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I too have used Bravecto but only occasionally. I’m so cautious about where I take the girls that they don’t seem to have many problems. Especially in winter they always get a blow dry in the garage before coming back into the house. I think that gives me a good opportunity to look closely at their coat and skin. And to blow away anything that might create problems. I use a high volume dryer that really helps with grooming and day to day care Just keeping them dry is such a help. They are so used to it they just sit there and move only when I tell them. They are both such good girls

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I wouldn't use anything routinely unless needed. Two fleas in 5 years is definitely an indication that you don't need to use anything.

When I lived in the north panhandle of Idaho, we didn't have fleas. I guess they just don't survive there. When I moved back to western Wa, my poodles had fleas about twice in a summer or two. (I forget the details) I gave them those chewables...I think the one that begins with an N. lol...can't remember for sure that EITHER! Grrr. Anyhow, they did all right with that. But I didn't continue giving that if I didn't see a flea or any flea dirt when combing. It's particularly easy on a white dog when running the water over him....if there's a flea, chances are good I would see one running around. Ewwww. I hate fleas. We have ticks, but not the kind that cause Lyme's. I use to pick ticks off past dogs but haven't seen one on recent dogs. Weird. Anyhow, haven't seen a flea in several years. So no way would I recommend pumping that toxic stuff into your dog if you don't have a flea problem. Keep an eye out for signs or symptoms and only use if needed. If you live where there is Lyme's disease and lots of ticks, maybe that's another story. Maybe you do need to use something routinely. I don't know much about that because we don't have that here. Or heart worm.

From time to time, I'll put some insecticide on my lawn if needed for other things like crane fly larvae if there's a heavy infestation. And that will kill fleas too. But I don't use it routinely either. And of course, wait till it's rinsed and dissipated before letting the dogs out on it. Of course, that doesn't help if they pick up a flea somewhere else. But it may cut down on the chances a little. Anyhow, for some reason, I haven't had any fleas for ages. This seems to be a recent phenomenon because in past years...way back, all our dogs always had fleas unless we treated them. It seems like fleas are dwindling hereabouts, which I don't understand because it's a mild climate. But we did get a few days of freezing temps. Maybe that helped. (?)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Pb you are maybe thinking of Nexgard? Small flavored tablet for fleas and ticks.
Where I live (Ontario) heartworm is a concern, I have always preferred Heartgard for that but I have also used Revolution (don't care for that) Advantage multi, and recently Spectra- none with any concerns/ reactions.
You would think that working in a vet clinic, where I see fleas a lot, that I would bring them home. But I've only given the occasional flea prevention and none of my animals has ever had fleas.
Since moving a few years ago we do often get ticks in the spring, a dose or two of Nexgard or Advantix does the trick. Again none of my dogs has reacted, but I have seen a percentage of dogs with local skin reactions to the Advantix. Applying Vit E oil to the skin is what is recommended and does seem to help. It can be applied before/with the Advantix to prevent reactions.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm in southern ontario, and we've now got black legged ticks, lone star ticks, and heartworm circulating. The vet put Annie on Interceptor Plus, and then Bravecto at 6 months and claims he doesn't think the others are that effective. She got an engorged (thankfully wood tick) at 5.5 months, and got a few dead ticks on her over the summer. I ended up switching to revolution plus after 6 months, as breaking the "oh so palatable" large chew into tiny pieces that she would eat (and spit out) mixed with cheese, or stuffing a bunch of pieces down her throat was way too much work. I also risked having the other dog in the house, who avidly watched, steal the rejected "treats".

I'm quite worried about ticks - we picked more than 20 black legged ticks, mostly unattached, off my friend's dog on a camping trip a few summers ago and he now has Lyme. I also have picked one off me, and had to take the round of antibiotics.

Have to decide what to use for this spring - debating between Revolution plus again, or Advantix + whatever heartworm med is in an "Easy to stuff down the throat" pill format, or the smallest chewable.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm in southern ontario, and we've now got black legged ticks, lone star ticks, and heartworm circulating. The vet put Annie on Interceptor Plus, and then Bravecto at 6 months and claims he doesn't think the others are that effective. She got an engorged (thankfully wood tick) at 5.5 months, and got a few dead ticks on her over the summer. I ended up switching to revolution plus after 6 months, as breaking the "oh so palatable" large chew into tiny pieces that she would eat (and spit out) mixed with cheese, or stuffing a bunch of pieces down her throat was way too much work. I also risked having the other dog in the house, who avidly watched, steal the rejected "treats".

I'm quite worried about ticks - we picked more than 20 black legged ticks, mostly unattached, off my friend's dog on a camping trip a few summers ago and he now has Lyme. I also have picked one off me, and had to take the round of antibiotics.

Have to decide what to use for this spring - debating between Revolution plus again, or Advantix + whatever heartworm med is in an "Easy to stuff down the throat" pill format, or the smallest chewable.
For Want of Poodle, I'm in southern Ontario too. We have only ever seen dog ticks, but I do know that deer ticks are prevalent fairly close to us. I know of quite a few Lyme+ dogs (and my niece's husband was recently diagnosed too). If/when we take the dogs hiking or camping I will definitely be using a tick prevention.
Revolution is not great though, as it only covers dog ticks and not deer ticks which are the most concerning. I would highly recommend that you look at Nexgard Spectra- it's a small chewable tablet (like the regular Nexgard if you ever used that) and it covers heartworm, ticks, and fleas. It was our most commonly used prevention last year- first year it came out- and I didn't hear any complaints of it not working.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Oh wait, sorry I just saw that you said you used Revolution plus. That one is supposed to kill deer ticks. I don't know of anybody using that so can't say how it works. I was disappointed in the regular Revolution that they initially claimed killed ticks but then it takes several days and only some types, so I'm kind of biased against it lol.
ETA- now that I'm thinking more, isn't Revolution plus only for cats?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Oh wait, sorry I just saw that you said you used Revolution plus. That one is supposed to kill deer ticks. I don't know of anybody using that so can't say how it works. I was disappointed in the regular Revolution that they initially claimed killed ticks but then it takes several days and only some types, so I'm kind of biased against it lol.
ETA- now that I'm thinking more, isn't Revolution plus only for cats?
Grr... you are completely right, of course. I was already concerned about the 3 days thing, but figured since it was just for the shoulder season of the fall and I had no camping trips planned it should be fine. Just checked the package which I still have, and it is just Revolution - and doesn't kill deer ticks. This is (yet another reason) why I dislike my vets office - I'd asked for a topical effective against deer ticks!

Do you have any recommendations for an effective topical? I like the sounds of the Spectra though, if it's a small tablet.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I think it was Nexguard Starvt. But I've used others in the past. Anyhow, I was just doing a little reading and I take that back that there are no ticks that carry Lyme's here in Washington. There are but it's pretty rare. It really is an awful disease. And of course, there are those other diseases that ticks carry. I remember when I lived in another county in Washington, had acreage in the country, had horses, my Lab would come along with us when out riding. She got ticks on her often and I'd pull them out with tweezers verrrrrrry carefully. Nothing ever seemed to happen to her though.

Here is something I read that's down right creepy but there are some tips which everyone probably already knows if you live in areas with all these creepy insects. But just in case...And for those of us in Washington, even though these things are rare, they can still be there.

Here's a U.S. map where each dot is a reported case

1 - 20 of 21 Posts