Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peggy emits a horrible fishy smell when she is scared or excited. Just now it was so intense, she left a wet spot on the couch and I had to pull it all apart to wash the cushion covers.

My minipoo mix scooted like crazy and needed her anal glands regularly expressed (according to our vet) but I never had to deal with that SMELL. Meanwhile, Peggy's anal glands are apparently fine, but this horrible fishy grossness has been happening since she was 9 weeks old.

Anyone else have this issue with a spoo puppy?

Our groomer has advised against touching them unless absolutely necessary. And since she's not biting at her backend or scooting or showing any sort of discomfort, it seems like they're physically fine.

Perhaps too much information (but if you've read this far, you're probably not squeamish): She has the best bowel movements of any of my dogs. Regular. Perfectly formed. Perhaps a little on the small side. I do give her a small amount of fruit or veggie fiber every day and I add water to her kibble.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Peggy emits a horrible fishy smell when she is scared or excited. Just now it was so intense, she left a wet spot on the couch and I had to pull it all apart to wash the cushion covers.

My minipoo mix scooted like crazy and needed her anal glands regularly expressed (according to our vet) but I never had to deal with that SMELL. Meanwhile, Peggy's anal glands are apparently fine, but this horrible fishy grossness has been happening since she was 9 weeks old.

Anyone else have this issue with a spoo puppy?

Our groomer has advised against touching them unless absolutely necessary. And since she's not biting at her backend or scooting or showing any sort of discomfort, it seems like they're physically fine.

Perhaps too much information (but if you've read this far, you're probably not squeamish): She has the best bowel movements of any of my dogs. Regular. Perfectly formed. Perhaps a little on the small side. I do give her a small amount of fruit or veggie fiber every day and I add water to her kibble.
Misha has issues with anal glands. He does not scoot but does seem to want to mess with his back end. I never knew there was an issue until one day one of the glands started leaking and he smelled terrible. I express them myself and it isn't too hard. I've done it twice now and they've been pretty full each time. Personally I think that if my dog was smelling fishy or leaking I'd consider it time to check them. That stuff is horrid.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I think she needs them expressed as soon as possible, no matter what your groomer says.

Yes, we try to avoid emptying anal glands as much as possible, but some dogs just need it.

Merlin scoots and doesn’t need his glands expressed and Beckie never, ever scoots but she needs them expressed. So this scooting theory is false.

Last time I went I waited too long (I’m not used to having dogs who need it done) and the fishy smell was bad. We went and her glands were full. She will lick herself more when it’s bothering her.

So yes, go ! It must be uncomfortable for Peggy.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I would have the vet do it, and ask that you be shown how to do it yourself. While you may have no desire to do it yourself, it is good to know how.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I took my 4 year old mini mutt to the vet recently since I noticed the nasty fishy spots a few times over the course of about 3 weeks. No previous issues. It actually happened when we were cuddling, not during moments of excitement.

My vet was not very worried about it, since the dog was showing no related signs of discomfort. They expressed her glands, and sent her on her way. There were no signs of infection or other issues.

I'm interested to follow the discussion on this subject.

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my 4 year old mini mutt to the vet recently since I noticed the nasty fishy spots a few times over the course of about 3 weeks. No previous issues. It actually happened when we were cuddling, not during moments of excitement.

My vet was not very worried about it, since the dog was showing no related signs of discomfort. They expressed her glands, and sent her on her way. There were no signs of infection or other issues.

I'm interested to follow the discussion on this subject.
Have there been any episodes since then? And you're right - it has happened during cuddling, too. But at 6 months, cuddling is still pretty exciting to Peggy ?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Have there been any episodes since then? And you're right - it has happened during cuddling, too. But at 6 months, cuddling is still pretty exciting to Peggy ?
No episodes since the glands were expressed, but that was only a few weeks ago, I can't remember exactly how many, maybe 2.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Thank you both!! Do you recommend having the groomer do it or our vet?
Here it’s now illegal for groomers to do it. I’d recommend the first just to make sure everything is okay, but then if she needs it regularly, a groomer should be fine.

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
I would take her to the vet. Buck had his gland expressed once and it hasn’t been a recurring issue. He didn’t scoot, but stood most of the night. We started our morning the following day with the first vet appointment and that disgusting fishy odor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts