Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I’m looking for a fish oil supplement. I want to add some to both my spoo’s diet. But I’m concerned about quality as well as affordability. I’ve googled and found that apparently a 50 lb dog would need about 1000 mgs a day. Seems like a lot, but if true that would mean I’d have to stop eating to afford some of these products. 😁. Question is, what are you using and what is it costing.
Have a good 4th and be safe

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add:
What about CBD oil and
Chondroitin and Glucosamine as supplements? My girls are almost 9 years old and one of them has a fair amount of trouble getting up. I think she actually doesn’t move sometimes because of the effort involved. I don’t think she’s in pain but I don’t know. It’s so hard to tell. Perhaps osteoarthritis, so these supplements I’m hoping will help without going to an NSAID or steroids. Just want her to enjoy her life

·
Registered
205 Posts
For fish oil, I’ve used Icelandic Pure, Grizzly Pet Products, and Nordic Naturals (which is what I take myself) when I don’t have fresh/frozen fish on hand. I usually prefer giving whole food as opposed to supplements, but that’s not always possible.

Don’t have any personal experience with CBD oil, but my holistic vet likes the brand HempRX. You can buy it from her store here.
I would avoid CBD treats that are cookies as wheat can often be inflammatory. Recent research suggests better absorption when giving CBD in small amounts of fatty foods between meals. I’d probably suggest trying peanut butter or eggs.

When it comes to joint health, I use Connectin by InClover or Winpro Mobility. I also feed foods rich in beneficial nutrients like beef trachea, chicken feet, and green lipped mussels. Primal makes a pretty good green lipped mussel “elixir” that I add to my pups’ food once in a while. Since your girls are a bit older, I’d probably go for one of the supplements in this category in addition to the food.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I give whole fish rather than just the oil. Usually sardines, herring, smelt, and mackerel. For joint health I give green lipped mussel which contains natural glucosamine and chondroitin. They're really excellent for older dogs.

If I wanted to just give oil rather than fish, I would use human grade krill oil. You only need 1/3 the amount for equal effect to fish oil. They sell it in gel pills and I think you'd only need one pill a day for a spoo.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
We used to give our St. Bernard glucosamine and chondroitin. It really helped. Our vet recommended using human supplements, as they were far cheaper than the dog version. You'd need to get the dosage right, of course, and possibly break pills.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone,
I really appreciate the help. I will be checking all this out in the next few days. I’m anxious to get this started, especially for my little sweet girl Belle. She’s had the most trouble.
I so wish we could do away with the need to celebrate our independence by blowing stuff up. Not looking forward to this evening as my girls will be very distraught. I’ve come to dred the holiday. Doesn’t make any sense to light fireworks in an area that is always at risk for wildfires.
It’s not like we don’t have enough troubles.
Sorry about the moaning, be safe everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts