Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of clippers to attempt to to Cozi's trims on my own. I had too much fun!!! Granted, she does not look perfect, but I just did face and toes and while her toes were a bit difficult, the face was pretty fun! She was such a good girl...

I groomed my parents bichon for the last couple of years and it took me HOURS to brush, bathe, and hand scissor her.....Cozi was done in 20 mins! Wow I can't believe I never knew how fun it was to do a quick trim on a poodle... Now I definitely want to see if I can keep it up on my own...we'll see!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Well done!!! I love a clean shaved poodle fft (face feet & tail) and I dunno how so many clients can leave their dogs for 6-10 weeks without going mad with the beard their dogs grow, I'm surprised more don't at least shave their own dogs faces! hehe. It's so satisfying doing your own grooming, it may not be perfect, but hair grows, and you can get better next time!

You'll have to show us some before & after photos sometime!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I completely aggree with FD, especially since the whiskers grow faster then the rest of the hair on the face and it starts looking awful! I shave my boxers whiskers off often (she needs it done atm...) and she looks so much better.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Good job! :) It's so much fun to groom even when you do simple things. They make a big difference don't that :)

Hehe I agree FD, when I was able I did Jazz and Saleen's faces weekly almost without exception. We've gone a month between for the last couple of months and OMG I hate it!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Good for you!! I love grooming my own and it took me months to get pretty good at it (I do the full body grooming for the continental cut). I still stand back often and critique what I have done and look for ways to improve. I so much love the time I spend with them during the grooming process.

Remember, practice makes perfect...and your little one will get used to having feet done. However, I dont think most dogs ever really love to have their feet shaved. I consider it good if they stop yanking the foot away just as I am going to shave of a hank of hair. LOL

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Great for you and yes it is grat Mommy and Me time with your poo. It has become theraputic for me to groom. Also satifies my creativeness too.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I just bought a set of clippers to attempt to to Cozi's trims on my own. I had too much fun!!! Granted, she does not look perfect, but I just did face and toes and while her toes were a bit difficult, the face was pretty fun! She was such a good girl...

I groomed my parents bichon for the last couple of years and it took me HOURS to brush, bathe, and hand scissor her.....Cozi was done in 20 mins! Wow I can't believe I never knew how fun it was to do a quick trim on a poodle... Now I definitely want to see if I can keep it up on my own...we'll see!
What clippers do you have/did you use?

I saw some little ones made specifically for little faces, but I'm kinda nervous to do it on my own! So good job!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the encouragement!!! I will definitely be continuing trimming her on my own and am excited to try different things.

I just bought a wahl set at walmart for like $30. I ALMOST got the one for "little faces" too but I figured even though this one was cheap I could at least to some body clipping. So far so good!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement!!! I will definitely be continuing trimming her on my own and am excited to try different things.

I just bought a wahl set at walmart for like $30. I ALMOST got the one for "little faces" too but I figured even though this one was cheap I could at least to some body clipping. So far so good!
Thanks! I'll have to go look and see what my local Wally World has. (Although, to tell the truth, I am kind of afraid to even touch his fuzzy body! I could royally screw THAT up! lol)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts