Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes, this breed is harder than I thought. My little Ginger is a sweetheart but makes me a nervous wreck. Several things concern me. #1 she will not eat! I have even tried making her own food, I searched recipes and made food which she loved the first day, but I swear she will not eat the same meal twice! I have tried all sorts of "healthy dry foods" she will not touch them. She will go for 3 days without eating. I have given her raw meat which she will eat one day but not the next, no two foods twice... The second concern is she is so attached to me if I leave the house for even the shortest period of time all she does is cry at the door till I return and when I return she is beside herself for several minutes till she calms down. She has to be right next to me all the time. We have 3 other people in the house but I am the one she must be next to always. #3 she will turn 13 months next week and has not yet gone into heat, I guess that is not that unusual, but different from our prior dogs which were English Bulldogs (the most relaxed dog in the world). I have always wanted a poodle and my hubby really wanted a dog since it's been a couple of years since our last dogs passed. . She has not had any vet visits outside of her visits to receive her shots with the Pandemic we haven't gone out much. Any advice on how to raise a healthy happy poodle is much appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
congratulations on getting a poodle. It does not sound like you dog is treat/food motivated. You could try taking her dogfood for the day and do training and reward with the kibble. Mine is 9 months old and kinda independent so I might try this method with her to get her to want to be with me more. Maybe feed her once a day, evening meal and pick it up after 20 minutes and try again the next day. She may like goats milk, I buy Answers. It is also a probiotic and if she is kinda nervous might help with tummy. When you come home ignore her for awhile and see if that helps. If you get down and tell her how sorry you are for leaving her then you might be praising her behavior when you are gone. I love to talk poodles if you want to message me and connect .

·
Premium Member
13,213 Posts
Welcome! If your dog eats food once, and then refuses it, I would consider food intolerances. I cannot tolerate alliums - if I eat onions or garlic or leeks the results are decidedly uncomfortable. The body tends to remember foods that make it ill as poisons, and take care to avoid them in future. It may be worth looking at a restricted ingredient diet - one that avoids common proteins like chicken and beef.

Reactions: twyla and Yellow

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

#1 she will not eat!
Good ideas from Yellow and fjm.
Has she been this way since she first came home with you or has it developed later?
Does she ever show signs of gastric problems?
Is her weight stable and in a healthy range for her height?
Is she on a regular meal schedule?
Do you calculate generally her daily calorie intake?

If it's not an intolerance for a specific protein or other ingredient, then it may be the notorious Poodle Picky Eater thing, sometimes encouraged accidentally by a loving human.
I have what I'd describe as an indifferent eater, or so I thought for almost his first three years. In his case it turned out that I just hadn't struck on a kibble the he really likes, no, loves.

The usually suggested tactic for a picky eater is to not give in. That is, if you want to feed kibble as the base, pick a kibble that has gone over well in the past, put it down at meal time and if it's not eaten in 30 minutes, pick the bowl up and try again at the next meal time (dry kibble with no additions only). The reasoning is that a healthy dog may pass up a meal or two but will not starve themselves by not eating at all.

This can be tricky with toys due to their smaller size, but if she's not extremely tiny, a missed meal or two shouldn't hurt her. You'd mentioned that she's gone 3 days before, so she should be ok. No treats during this trial either unless for training.

The second concern is she is so attached to me
Some poodles choose a specific person as their own. Do the others in the home share the raising of her? Feeding, walks, play time, combing, brushing, bathing, training? If you're doing most of this, it makes sense that she feels lost when you leave.
Desensitizing her by training for you "leaving" for very short times when you don't actually have to go anywhere. Start by gathering whatever you normally gather to leave then don't leave. Save an email to read for example then pick up your things and put them back. Do this a couple of times a day for a couple of days. Next keep doing that but now pick up you things and leave quietly, no fuss beyond a simple "Be good" or something like that. Go out the door, wait a minute then come right back in. I think you see where this process is going :). Keep building the duration.

If the other household members help with those things I mentioned, ask them to get her to focus on them by playing or combing or a 5 minute trick training session, to distract her as you leave, letting her see you leave with that cheery "be good!". When you return, wait until she calms a bit before greeting her, if she's too excited by your return.

#3 she will turn 13 months next week and has not yet gone into heat
I'd suggest to check with the vet to see if there is any cause for concern. I'd guess not much, but I don't know about heat cycles for toys.

I hope we'll get more input from additional toy owners for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts