Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My name is Abe. Wow everyone here seems so helpful. Well I was recently given a poodle mix about a week ago. Her name is Luna and she is a poodle mix, I am still tying to find out what "mix" she really is. :tongue:

Anywhoo, she is adorable, but I do have s few questions since I am a first time dog owner:

1.) She is only about 10 weeks old and she has been with me for about 8/9 days, is it still normal for her not to respond to me when I say Luna. I am trying to do it with treats. it worked with potty, but sometimes she just completely ignores me and stares at me like " are you calling me? Oh well.:banghead:.."

2.) She is not a very affectionate puppy. She licks when she wants to, but sometimes seems more like i dont care! Lol. She seems to like other people more than me... I dont know why?

I'll leave it at this for now, but any advice or suggestions will be great. I love my new baby, but it can be very frustrating! I dont want to be the bad guy! Lol. She is "play pin" trained and does pretty good, but its her listening that is driving me nuts! Haha. I know she is a baby still, so HELP!:rainbow:

Muchas Gracias!
Abe

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Maltese... that's what I was trying to think of in the post you put in the photo section.

10 weeks is a little young for a puppy to learn to focus intently on any one thing. If she had litter mates then she probably doesn't understand a human dog bond just yet. My new puppy is the same way. She is much more interested in the other dog's in our home than she is in us. She really doesn't cuddle at all.

Are you planning to take her to a puppy kindergarden class of some kind? A positive training class like that can go a looonnnggg way in helping a puppy and a new owner learn to communicate with one another and build a stronger bond.
I can't wait, I signed Saleen up for a kindergarden class taught by another trainer in my area that starts next Saturday. LoL, some students in one of my obedience classes laughed at me for it. I said, "see even the dog trainer has to take her puppy to training classes" :) I can't wait to see more photos as your girl grows. What a darling little thing she is!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you checked to make sure she can hear you? Sometimes pups are deaf or mostly deaf and cover it up by figuring out your body movements and hand gestures. Just a possibility.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The deaf thing was my first thought too. I see more and more dogs that are deaf. I hope she's not but does she respond to hearing other noices? Maybe test her and rule that out.

I would also agree Maltese and Poodle is what she looks like. I love her bright white color.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Wonder if my hubby is deaf??

If she is hearing impaired that definitly makes training a must. Hopefuly she just has selective hearing (which I suspect is the case with my usband as well)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have one poodle and one maltese and I am not sure I agree about the maltese being

part of the mix.

She looks pretty pure poodle to me.

That angle is hard to see potential other breeds in her.

What does her tail look like?

A maltese tail curls up and around like a C or an O.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New Pictures to help decide!

Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions!!!

I just caledl her owners/breeders and they tell me comes from a parents that are both toy poodle?? So I really do not know?
She is only 10 weeks and weighs about 4 pounds. I think she might grow to be bigger than a toy????

Thanks again guys!!! I love this forum. Im just trying to get in tune with my dog and understand all about this breed. I never expected to have this type of dog, so it just amazes me how great they are!

Abe

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I can definately see Maltese in her too. I'm horrible at guessing what breeds a mix has in it, but this time, I'm pretty confident. She is adorable, no matter what she is! I wish you luck with her and you should look into puppy kindergarden as suggested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts