Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Samson is 9 weeks old and just perfect! We’ve had him for 5 days now and he’s settling in well!

A few things has me worried though and I was hoping some experienced SP owners could help out with their experience and thoughts:

When my husband picked him up, the breeder said that one of his siblings had died ofesophageal hernia. We didn’t think much of it.

Yesterday our boy slept a lot. Did play but more sleepy than usual. My two oldest had a bunch of friends over that played with him so he might have been tired of all the excitement and meeting new ppl. In the afternoon I found all of one if his meals on the floor. We thought he had thrown up but had not heard anything - and the food was not digested - Off course I called the vet because I was worried sick! So the vet said if it continues, he want a to sleep all the time and doesn’t engage in play, and with his siblings history of dying of esophageal hernia) we should come in. It didn’t continue but he didn’t eat much more than a few snacks that day.

He hadn’t shown interest for the dog food we had got for him in the first place when we brought him home but ate it after we made it wet with water. Still he didn’t seem that keen for the particular brand.

Today he woke up at 05.00 and vomited bile😳 Again I got worried but he’s been devouring the new type of food we got him yesterday - Norwegian Polar - soft food. He has eaten two smaller portions of that every three hours now and pooped and peed and has been fine.

What should we do? Just see how it goes?
Anyone has any experience they would like to share?

my goodness I thought raising three kids had me worried...now this little guy❤❤❤

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
First thing to do when you get a new dog/puppy is to do a vet exam within the first 48 hours.

Even if he was seen a few days ago, with the symptoms he’s having, knowing his family history and the fact that he is a new dog in your household, I would not wait and make a vet appointment ASAP.

If I remember correctly, you made a post saying how mellow he was. He might be sick, not mellow. One more reason to have it checked out.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes, like Dechi said, it’s best to bring your pup in for a vet visit when they first come home. I’d also suggest you bring in a poop sample that’s less than 24 hours old. Put it in a plastic bag and in the fridge until your appointment. They should test for parasites and viruses, even if the poop is normal right now.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My only experience is that eating something non food or stress can cause a random vomiting and my dog doesn’t chew her food so it never looks digested. The fact that Samson has thrown up twice within a short timespan is concerning. I hope everything is ok with your sweet little guy. Let us know.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My dog was a vomity puppy. He still vomits occasionally. The bile can be simply from his stomach being empty. They will also vomit if they eat and then run around a lot, or drink water and then run around a lot. Mine has grown out of it. Vomiting is now rare. But I would still recommend taking him to a vet so you can be sure. Breeders generally recommend a vet visit within 72 hours.

·
Super Moderator
5,238 Posts
All good advice. I'll just add that puppies at that age require 18-20 hours of sleep per day. It can be hard for children to understand, but they should never wake a sleeping puppy, and if puppy falls asleep while playing, he should be left undisturbed.

We also had to change Peggy's food within a few days of bringing her home. She was vomiting it straight back up, which immediately resolved when we discontinued that brand.

But one of her littermates had a palate deformity that required surgery. Little guy wasn't getting much water. It just poured out his nose. I don't imagine he'd have survived long without quick veterinary intervention. :( Puppies can dehydrate very quickly.

I assume you'd already had him in for a wellness check before the vomiting began?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good advice. I'll just add that puppies at that age require 18-20 hours of sleep per day. It can be hard for children to understand, but they should never wake a sleeping puppy, and if puppy falls asleep while playing, he should be left undisturbed.

We also had to change Peggy's food within a few days of bringing her home. She was vomiting it straight back up, which immediately resolved when we discontinued that brand.

But one of her littermates had a palate deformity that required surgery. Little guy wasn't getting much water. It just poured out his nose. I don't imagine he'd have survived long without quick veterinary intervention. :( Puppies can dehydrate very quickly.

I assume you'd already had him in for a wellness check before the vomiting began?
So in Norway where we live the norm is (if you buy from a registered breeder which we have) that the puppy is delivered with a vet health check up Certificate, Norwegian Kennel club contract and vaccinations certificate. We got Samson this last Monday - and he had an episode of food coming up yesterday at four pm (didn’t have much appetite for that food the rest of the day but playful and active - slept as normal), woke up at 5 am and threw up bile and something hard that fell on the floor but that he just ate right up again. Went out to pee and slept until 07.00 in which we gave him the other gfood that he devoured like no tomorrow. No barfing episodes today, peed as normal and pooped once. The previous days he has pooped twice. This new food is soft and not hard like the other food (Orijen I think the brand was if anyone is familiar with it).

When we spoke to the vet yesterday she said if it stops there’s no need to come in. The vet is aware of the one puppy in the litter dying of the condition.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
So in Norway where we live the norm is (if you buy from a registered breeder which we have) that the puppy is delivered with a vet health check up Certificate, Norwegian Kennel club contract and vaccinations certificate.
It is also the norm in Canada, and I suppose in the States. You should still see a vet when you get the puppy. Lots of times puppies have ear infections, or worms, or other minor problems, even though they have seen the vet when at the breeder’s. It also allows the owner to find out about major problems which require treatment and for which financial help will be asked from the breeder. Especially since most contracts will have certain health warranties.

Really, anyone getting a puppy should go to the vet as soon as possible.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
It sounds as if the vomiting has now resolved, which is good news - it must have been very worrying considering the littermate's issues. It is good that your vet is aware, too, just in case a pattern emerges. I have found it useful to make a note of time, date and circumstances of any digestive upsets or unusual behaviour in my animals. 99 times out of 100 it was just a minor blip, but on the one or two occasions when it has progressed to something more serious it has been very helpful to have a history to give to the vet.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Did I see correctly, that you switched him off the food the breeder had him on? If this is the case and it was a sudden switch, that may cause gastric issues also.

If I misunderstood, my apologies, and if he continues to like and process the latest food normally, that's good but I'm with the others. It's always a good idea to bring a new pup in to your vet for a general looksee and howdydo :)

Reactions: TheHoz

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did I see correctly, that you switched him off the food the breeder had him on? If this is the case and it was a sudden switch, that may cause gastric issues also.

If I misunderstood, my apologies, and if he continues to like and process the latest food normally, that's good but I'm with the others. It's always a good idea to bring a new pup in to your vet for a general looksee and howdydo :)
My goodness, I feel like such a bad pup parent. So we actually never gave him the brand the breeder got him. We just started off the bat with another dry food that he never was excited about. So after the vomiting episode we switched to the food he’s on now that he LOVES but that I’m wondering if maybe gives him a bit of a loose tummy - this might be adjustment though. Also I’m wondering if he’s having some reflux issues.
Guys in short I’m so anxious there’s something wrong with him - it’s actually disturbing my sleep at night and is not fun🥺 Taking him to the vet this week also - just to be sure!

There are constantly so many things that has me worried and making me wonder how on earth will all of this work out...Today we bathed him for the first time and it was horrible. Just whimpering so much and uncomfortable and when we showered his backside and tale it was almost as if he was in real pain. Which I don’t understand because he loves to be scratched on his lover back and just stands there and enjoyes it. We’re almost wondering if it was his rectal area he felt uncomfortable about.
So to the vet we’ll go this coming week - because I’ll have a nervous breakdown other vise and have three human kids to take care of and juggle full time work🤪

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Inexperienced maybe, bad? not a chance! I'd say stick with the food he likes for now since it's already been introduced. If the upset is mostly related to the food change as well as the stress of leaving everything familiar behind (no matter how ok he seems) then his system will adjust in a few days and he'll start settling in to his wonderful new life with his new family :).

Not saying this is your situation but my boys came home from the breeder with giardia. Symptoms developed that night for one and the next day for the other so our wellness check got pushed into the urgent category. They were on meds and had to be tube fed a couple of days to keep them nourished. In a few days they were fine.

Since their GI tract was already upside down, I took the opportunity to start them on a better quality food as soon as they got interested in eating again. It took a few days more to get their systems back on track.

I did a quick check of two of my preferred online medical sites, VCA Hospitals and the Merck Veterinary Manual and am not finding esophageal hernia so I wonder if it has a different medical name? Esophageal issues can be very dangerous but I'd hope that the breeder would have had any siblings checked out thoroughly before sending them to their new homes and that Samson is clear of anything like that. If he has any trouble breathing tho, with his sibs history, I'd get to an emergency vet asap. I don't think that will be the case tho.

Baths aren't usually high on puppies lists. The water may have been a bit too warm or a bit too cool or a bit too strong of a flow. At three years old, one of mine still dives under the sofa when he sees I'm getting things ready for his bath.

The vet visit will give you some confidence. Just write down everything you want to ask. I've had t do that myself to be sure I don't forget something.
Try to get some rest, it's going to be ok :).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for amazing advises and info - seriously it’s very much appreciated❤ It’s so weird - like having your first baby again and not knowing what’s what😂 A little update from today: Samson seriously devours this new food and love love loves it! He’s pooped twice and been super active and harmonic which makes my heart so warm. I think a part of my worries are related to the fact that he’s such an innocent and sweet puppy! His temperament is fantastic and he’s so clever. Already learned several commands and is so willing to learn. Just love this little guy and want to give him the best life! I’ll post an update after vet visit! I would be surprised if there was anything seriously wrong though because he’s active and eats well.

Again thank you for all the responses!

·
Super Moderator
5,238 Posts
I'm so happy to hear he's doing better. And I totally understand your fears. They are such dependent little creatures! We're their whole world. That's a big responsibility. :) Try to see it as an honour and you'll rise just fine to the challenge. And find a training guide that is reputable and resonates with you, and stick with it. Lots of conflicting advice out there about raising puppies!!

We introduced Peggy to a small children's swimming pool before the bath, and she LOVED it. Maybe something to consider? Puppies are resilient, but positive early experiences are extremely important. Anything you can do now to keep new experiences short and positive will help Samson tremendously later in life.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm so happy to hear he's doing better. And I totally understand your fears. They are such dependent little creatures! We're their whole world. That's a big responsibility. :) Try to see it as an honour and you'll rise just fine to the challenge. And find a training guide that is reputable and resonates with you, and stick with it. Lots of conflicting advice out there about raising puppies!!

We introduced Peggy to a small children's swimming pool before the bath, and she LOVED it. Maybe something to consider? Puppies are resilient, but positive early experiences are extremely important. Anything you can do now to keep new experiences short and positive will help Samson tremendously later in life.
I so agree with you! We need to have positive reinforcements. It’s so important for us to end everything with something positive and our little guy has already learned so many commands from sit to heel and in between! He’s such a pleaser and we just love him! Also he’s very food and praise motivated and a delight really❤
You are so right about the training advices - I mean it’s seriously so many different approaches😳😳😳 Our motivation with Samson is that everything we invest in him now we will
get in return 10 folds when he’s an adult boy!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Such a nice family developing with you and Samson. You are all in good hands, paws? When I got my current pup, I was a wreck. I had lost a dog tragically a few months earlier. I was online at night with a vet, in addition to going during the day. Thankfully, a very nice vet reassured me. My pup did get some sort of nasty bug, I think from ducks in the neighborhood, but otherwise has been fine for five years. I am hoping for, and sure it will be the same, for you. I think all new parents, and you were new to puppies, are nervous wrecks. It's a sign of love and a sense of responsibility.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Well your going to be a good pup owner! Because lol yeah you worry and go to the vet to be sure. Puppies really do best if you leave them on the food the breeder had them on for at least a week or and then transition them slowly. 25% new food first week, 50/50% 2nd week and so forth till your on the new food. I have had puppies that fasted almost 24 hours then I switched them without problems. To me it sounds like Smson is doing much better and I am sure you will feel more confident after having the vet check him over. The litter mate dying of an esophageal problem would have had me not sleeping too after he exhibited his eating issues. My guess is he is just fine. It is like having your first human child, I remember when my first child came home (adopted). I use to go and watch her sleeping to be sure she was breathing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been following Samson's journey. How is he doing today? I am a first time dog owner so I can really relate to your anxiety! It will be okay! Do you have a good relationship with the breeder? If so, I find they are a wonderful resource for knowing the family history of your pup and also great for asking questions (no matter how stupid 😄) Also possibly they could connect you to someone who has one of their dogs so you can have a "poodle mentor". Most of what I know I've gleaned from the wisdom of others... It's just like human parenting!

Also do you have a good puppy book? There are many. I liked "Raising a puppy you can live with" by Rutherford. Gave me good basics. You are in the ideal window for socializing! So once your pup's health has settled down, take Samson on lots of outings! And practice gentle brushing and playing with feet, ears, tail so your pup gets used to being touched And this will help grooming go so much better!

Finally- and I almost don't want to tell you (😭😭😭) poodles are so emotionally sensitive Samson may pick up on your anxiety and feel anxious too. My boy (first dog) starts avoiding me if I'm very stressed. He's a very sensitive and soft dog. My girl is fine. She's much more balanced in her emotions. Nothing bad or good, just different... Exactly like people! I find of I practice breathing calmly it helps them focus on me.

You will totally get this. Recently I asked my breeder why she gave me a puppy in the first place...I was so clueless! She said she'd never had a person so dedicated and persistent want one of her dogs. Love can definitely make up what you may lack in experience. And you will quickly learn what you need to know!

Lykke til!

·
Registered
272 Posts
We just got a standard pup month ago. We live in the states. I believe each state has different rules and regulations but we had to take to vet within 3 says. I’d b worried to with liters history too. Did vet give u any food ideas? My puppy teddy is allergic to his vaccines so far and has to get a shot before he receives them then be monitored. They really do a number on his tummy. The reason I’m telling u this is because I started out giving him bone broth then broth and finely chopped(mush) boiled chicken. Definitely helped his tum and got some nutrients. Keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts