Poodle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Anything you can do to prevent even a single puppy taste of garbage will serve you well in the long run. It's much harder to erase that delicious memory than to prevent it.

Bathroom trash tends to be extra tantalizing (used tissues, sanitary products, etc). I keep one bathroom garbage can on the back of the toilet (an inelegant solution, I know) and the other in a cabinet under the sink. Peggy's never attempted to get at either, but every puppy is different.

She does occasionally nudge open the kitchen cabinet, to take a long sneaky sniff of the trash and recycling. But so far no nibbles. I suspect it'll happen eventually, though.
Oh no, sanitary tissues! I am so glad I got the covered trash can. I think the only time one of my cats was ever interested by the trash was when he ate dental floss. Once. I ended up pulling it out of his behind and it was an unpleasant enough experience that he hasn't done it in the 9 years since. It will definitely be a change from what I'm used to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My last dog had a real thing for used tampons. Barf. She was also obsessed with used earplugs. You know those bright orange foam ones? I'll be honest - it was pretty funny when she pooped them out on walks.
That is funny! I'll take poop any day rather than the sanitary products being fished out of the trash. Ugh, so gross.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That is funny! I'll take poop any day rather than the sanitary products being fished out of the trash. Ugh, so gross.
It's a dog thing. I know Misha is bad enough that I don't even allow sanitary products in the bathroom trash. They have to go in the impenetrable kitchen trash. As annoying as that is. I have a swinging lid trashcan for the bathroom and Misha has been good about not touching it. He was never allowed in as a puppy though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Should I worry about cotton balls when we play in water such as a kiddy pool or the ocean when he is a bit older?
I feel like your momma instincts will help you determine when it's appropriate, like a splash versus a hose-down.

As far as puppy proofing...

My bedroom will be the least puppy proof place but it will be off limits to the dog for at least a few months. My closet has a curtain in front of it (I would have to cut through tile to put a door in so not an easy fix) and lots of stored stuff at the bottom. But it will also be the cat room with cat litter and food and scratchers and a kitty (baby) gate. I'll have time to try and figure my closet out (I have a ton of archery equipment in there that needs to be in an airconditioned room so the garage is out and as we are in Florida, no attic or basement, so that's a tough one).

I'll be moving to my office to sleep with the pup there. The closet here has a door and all the shelves here are cubes with puppy stuff. (Can puppies open the giant cube drawers? Please tell me those are safe.) The crate will go here. The only worry is the cables from my computer system/work station/really expensive gaming rig. All the computer components are on a desk but the surge protector/USB is giant and I have floor space only. I am still looking for solutions to the cables.

The living room issue again is the TV and the boxes, players, gaming systems, and all their cables. Part of me thinks I need a baby gate in front of my entire setup. Otherwise, there really isn't anything not put away there in a cube (love those things). And I will have a playpen for the living room so (hopefully) no free unsupervised roaming there.

The kitchen and dining area... I am thinking about whether I should put child proof locks on those (and the bathroom cabinets). Everything else is put away or really, really high (so high I need a ladder to get to). I also bought a lidded trash can for the bathroom, the kitchen has a trash can in the cabinets.

The yard is fenced in and I have a screened in porch at the back of the house. Nothing there that I can think of that needs modification.

So really the cables and electronics are my biggest worry. I've had 3 cats in my life and not a single one was ever a chewer of cables (though I did lose a few yummy purses to one of them). Unless I am missing something critical...?
I don't think puppy will have any interest getting into the cubes, but there's a lot that you're just going to have to wait and see.

Basil's never been curious to go behind my parents entertainment system or my parents desktop eoffice cables, so I don't know what you can expect. I only have a laptop and 2 fan cables in my apt, and she's never been interested mouthing them. There's no entertainment factor; it's not like they squeak or are furry. It is still good that you've thought about it. Keep and eye on it and wait and see. You'll know if puppy starts to chew on something undesired, then you'll be quick to give them a chew toy.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Paradoxically, the best way I've found to curb Peggy's curiosity is to let her be curious. Rather than scolding NO all the time, I let her sniff and explore, and then I praise her for moving on.

9 times out of 10, that's all she needs

The absolute worst thing you can do is let your poodle think something is forbidden fruit. This is why Peggy has swallowed hair scrunchies on multiple occasions.

😭

·
Registered
407 Posts
I usually search the past posts to get my answers but "buy puppy" ends up with a lot of breeder and buying a puppy posts. And that's not what I am looking for. So if there is already a post of all that I need to prepare for a standard puppy, please send me a link and ignore here. :)

I'm not even looking for brand recommendations, but I wanted to share my "to get" list and see if I've missed anything on it, or just didn't think of something. This is my first dog and poodle so I'm super nervous and the time to get Fenris is getting closer and closer soooo slowly but surely. So I'm preparing. I've gone through quite a few different sites and list suggestions but am I missing anything poodle specific? I really, really feel like I'm missing something...

Here is what I've got (or am in the process of ordering/researching) so far:

Health:
Vet/Vet Appt
Pet Insurance

Safety/Comfort:
Crate
Playpen
Bed
Blanket
Collar
Harness
Leash
Car backseat cover
Seatbelt
Camera
Kitty (baby) gate
ID tags

Food/Waste:
Portable water bottle
Food/water bowl
Poop bags
Poop bag dispenser
Pet enzyme cleanup spray
Dog food
Treats
Puppy pads
Portable bowl

Grooming: (I'm getting just the basics for now)
Greyhound comb
Slicker brush
Pin brush
Dryer
Wipes
Dog shampoo
Dog toothpaste/toothbrush
Nail trimmer
Detangling spray
Zymox with hydrocortisone

Training/play:
Snuggle toy
Puzzle toys
Chew toys
Training treat pouch
Plush toys
Rope toys
Puppy training class
Clicker

What am I missing?
I won't comment on most of the items on your post since others have addressed quite well. But as regards the health insurance, if you plan to get it, I would encourage you to have it in place before you even bring your puppy home. If you wait until you have the pup and have to go to the vet for something other than the initial routine checkup you can run into issues with the insurance company potentially declaring what you went in for as a pre-existing condition and give you grief about future coverage. A friend of mine had this experience. I had advised her to get a plan in place before she brought her puppy home but she got caught up in other things and didn't. Before she could get coverage, the pup had some kind of skin issue that she had to go to the vet for and when she applied for the insurance and submitted her vet records for review, as you have to do if you don't get coverage before bringing the dog home, she had to jump through hoops with the company, have her vet write letters about the diagnosis, etc. because they wanted to decline coverage on any future skin problems as a pre-existing condition. She did ultimately prevail, but it was a pain in the neck to deal with. And it's not just her company, they all look to exclude whatever they can as a pre-existing condition if you don't cover from the very beginning.....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You are wise to think of the cables. I didn't! At 16 weeks my spoo puppy chewed into my sons computer cable, got a huge shock and ruined the cable, fortunately not the computer itself. He did teach himself a lesson that way to leave cables alone!

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Since you are so well prepared, I will just caution you that puppies don't read the puppy rearing manual. You may get the one puppy that thinks liver treats and hot dogs are absolutely disgusting.

There will always be something you didn't think to prepare for. One of my friends had a dog that liked to lick toads and taught her other dog the habit. Seriously, what puppy manual tells you to clear your yard of all toads lest your puppy discover their psychotropic properties, go down the path of addiction, and become the neighborhood amphibian pusher?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I won't comment on most of the items on your post since others have addressed quite well. But as regards the health insurance, if you plan to get it, I would encourage you to have it in place before you even bring your puppy home. If you wait until you have the pup and have to go to the vet for something other than the initial routine checkup you can run into issues with the insurance company potentially declaring what you went in for as a pre-existing condition and give you grief about future coverage. A friend of mine had this experience. I had advised her to get a plan in place before she brought her puppy home but she got caught up in other things and didn't. Before she could get coverage, the pup had some kind of skin issue that she had to go to the vet for and when she applied for the insurance and submitted her vet records for review, as you have to do if you don't get coverage before bringing the dog home, she had to jump through hoops with the company, have her vet write letters about the diagnosis, etc. because they wanted to decline coverage on any future skin problems as a pre-existing condition. She did ultimately prevail, but it was a pain in the neck to deal with. And it's not just her company, they all look to exclude whatever they can as a pre-existing condition if you don't cover from the very beginning.....
Thanks! Yeah, I'm planning on calling around this week and having it in place by the time he comes home. I have a pre-existing condition and I don't want to deal with the same BS with the pup.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Since you are so well prepared, I will just caution you that puppies don't read the puppy rearing manual. You may get the one puppy that thinks liver treats and hot dogs are absolutely disgusting.

There will always be something you didn't think to prepare for. One of my friends had a dog that liked to lick toads and taught her other dog the habit. Seriously, what puppy manual tells you to clear your yard of all toads lest your puppy discover their psychotropic properties, go down the path of addiction, and become the neighborhood amphibian pusher?
Lol, that is true!!

Though being a south Floridian I know about clearing toads out of the backyard, there is an invasive species of toad down here that is poisonous to dogs and recently they seem to be up and about a lot (probably the huge amounts of rain) so there are posts on all the Florida doggy forums about it. But I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Yikes, and some toads are very poisonous if you travel! Sometimes the dogs even die!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts