Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
for so long. Tomorrow, I am leaving Sammy alone for about 8 - 9 hours. My daughter will be able to come back home and let him out about 4 hours after I leave. She will most likely be back home 4 hours after that and I should be back within the next hour.

I know many dogs are alone at home for this long, but Sammy has never been left for this long. I am SO anxious about leaving him. However, I will be driving for the whole 8-9 hours and think he is better off being left in our ( dog safe) bedroom.

This will be the first time, since he came home, that I will be away from him for more than 3 hours. I'm a nervous wreck! It will be okay, right?

Premium Member
I think he's going to be fine 馃.

Up until they were near 9 months old we'd left our boys alone for no more than long enough to go out to dinner until the day DH got admitted unexpectedly to the hospital for pneumonia. It was probably 5 hours later that I got back home to check on them. They were fine :).

It's a bit late for this option this time, but you can get a very nicely featured, inexpensive security camera to keep an eye on him when you do go out. I have a Wyze Cam Pan. You can see, hear, and speak to your boy with it. There is no requirement to pay any additional fees to use it. It's been working steadily for two and a half years.
https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-1080p-Indoor-Camera-Vision/dp/B07DGR98VQ

Premium Member
I think the most important thing you can do related to this is to let go of your anxiety which will be telegraphed to Samie. We never say goodbye to our dogs unless one of them happens tobe right by the back door when we are leaving. If that is so then it is just a quiet be good or take care of the house and no big petting rituals. Make leaving very quiet and matter of fact.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
We got home after about 10 hours and Sammy was still alive. He was VERY happy to see me. I have read that dogs cannot tell time, but Sammy definately acted like he was left for much longer than usual.

I am still glad we left him at home. He would have been miserable strapped into his car seat for 10 hours.

Premium Member
Good to know you both made it thru :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts