Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this may not seem like a huge accomplishment to a lot of people on this board, but I'm so tickled I could just bust!! :)

I've had Lucy for just two weeks and decided it was time to attempt a quickie face trim. She wasn't really overgrown, but I was alone in the house (no audience) and I know I want to be able to keep up mainentance grooming between "real" grooms so I thought, "What the heck?"

She was AWESOME on the table (thanks Cherie!!) Because I am new to anything having to do with grooming (besides brushing/combing, nails) I took my time and gave us a few breaks (I know - her face is so small, I should've been able to just git'r done, but I wanted it to be a good experience for both of us!!) Each time I'd go back to it, I'd see a fuzzy spot I'd missed and she was happy to let me experiment... might have been the treats she got every time I was ready to take a break! :)

So, it may not be a continental, but heeeeeere's Princess Lucybug with her newly trimmed face!! :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It just occured to me that maybe I should've put this in the grooming forum... Oooops!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
you did a fantastic job :D

I'll be attempting this myself in a few days :|
hopefully Elphie looks half as nice as Lucy xDD lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
She looks great! ! So cute too.... I'm getting up the nerve to attempt a face trim soon....although my pup has grown out so much that now I can't see the pattern :( I might have to wait until next time she grows out, a couple weeks after her groom....

Good job!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awwww... *blush* thanks for all the Kudos!! I've been psyching myself up to do some simple grooming steps since before Lucy was a twinkle in her momma's eye so it was pretty cool to actually do a little "hands on"! It really helps that she was so good for me!

I know the clippers can tickle, but I've been practicing with a small battery operated vibrating device which doesn't have any blades on it (you might see them at bachelorette parties... ummm, yeah...) :) I've been touching her between each of her toes, on top of her feet, on the bridge of her nose, cheeks, under her neck, etc... I've played with it while we're relaxing on the couch, on the floor, and especially on the table just to get her used to the buzzing sound and vibrations. When I finally used the real thing (with the BLADES!! Gasp!) she was so used to me rubbing these buzzy things on her that she really didn't mind! It's kind of like a massage!!

I also cleaned up her tail area this weekend (no pictures of THAT, though!) and I'm planning to play with clean feet this week. I'm using my daughter's clippers although the ones I ordered are on their way to me as I type this... I think I'll be happier when I have my own equipment, too (although I think I take better care of her stuff than she does!!)

Thanks for the encouragement! It really was fun and exciting! :)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
You are incredible!! I have never seen anyone jump in with both feet like you, and you did as wonderful job. I am so glad she is such a good girl for you. You did a better job (WAYYYYYYY better) than trhe three `groomers`who have butchered poor Flynn!! Pretty bad when we have to to a two hour each way rendezvous to get him here to get a decent haircut!! Maybe you sholuld move to the Peterborough, Ontario area and open a shop and put these TERRIBLE `groomers`out of business!! Way to go!!! And tell Lucybug Fancy Pants her human Grandma is proud of her behaviour!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Hysterical!!!!

Either way it worked! ANd you did a great job too, I just did my first the other night and I must say yours looks better than mine lol!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Good job, I know it makes you feel good to do it yourself. I remember grooming my mini schnauzer Beau when I was a kid in 4-H. You'd have thought I was the firts person to ever groom their own dog I was so proud. Hahaha.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
JUST FANTASTIC JOB !!!!! Now really - you have a natural talent for grooming - it is as any other talent - you have it or you do not !!!! Have you ever thought about going into grooming business ???

:beauty::humble::beauty:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Love it! You did great, and she looks beautiful! An accomplishment, indeed. You'll have to continue to show us pics of your grooming Lucy.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I know the clippers can tickle, but I've been practicing with a small battery operated vibrating device which doesn't have any blades on it (you might see them at bachelorette parties... ummm, yeah...) I've been touching her between each of her toes, on top of her feet, on the bridge of her nose, cheeks, under her neck, etc... I've played with it while we're relaxing on the couch, on the floor, and especially on the table just to get her used to the buzzing sound and vibrations. When I finally used the real thing (with the BLADES!! Gasp!) she was so used to me rubbing these buzzy things on her that she really didn't mind! It's kind of like a massage!!
:bashful: SO FUNNY!! Gotta be honest, I thought of doing that with Rogan in the beginning too!! I ended up just running the clippers over him without actually cutting yet, it worked the same way :) but hey, nice to know I'm not the only one with ... um... "a vibrating device with no blades on it"... :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know enough about clippers to be comfortable using them as practice tools (for example, I KNOW that my bladeless vibrating device will not cut her by accident!!) :)

I wasn't sure if I could remove the blade completely before turning it on and "practicing" with it... Also the only clippers we have here are Katy's and they're all corded... my practice device (*blush*) is cordless (of course) and I can use it no matter where we happen to be... It's a "LUCY ONLY" tool - not that I have any other kind!!!!! :)

I also like that it's small enough that I can target between her toes and I know there's no way I'm going to hurt her!!

OK, enough of the talkin' dirty!!! :)

As a state employee, I get tomorrow off of work as a holiday (it's Veteran's Day in the USA) and that's when I'm going to use the real clippers on her itty bitty footums... Acutally, her feet are a very nice size!! I love to play with her feet!!

I'll let you know how it goes!! Thanks again for all the support and kind words. It is so exciting for me to begin practicing keeping Lucy looking and feeling her absolute best!! She SOOOOO deserves it!! L8R

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
OK, enough of the talkin' dirty!!! :)
I think it's hilarious that everyone else has completely ignored this part of the conversation!! lol

Anyway, have fun practising with Lucy's feet!! To me, it's the most fun part to groom! Rogan tolerates feet better then face so I've been able to really get them nice and neat and clean! And it's tons of fun, I often grab the clippers while I'm hanging out in the evenings watching TV and just work away at his little paws bit by bit.... it's my new obsession!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...it's my new obsession!
Well, there are worse obsessions, but I promised to be done with the dirty talkin'! :)

I'm the same way with wanting to do a little bit; often... She's just 10 weeks old so she's not very big yet and I'm always doing a little fussing here, brushing there, nails, teeth, ears, etc... it's not like it takes me long to do it becsuse of her size, but she's learning that when Mom wants to put her up on the table or grabs the brush while we're chillin' in front of the TV, that it will be a pleasant experience and she'll get praise or treats afterward... So far it's working for us! I'm psyched to start on her feet! ;)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Barb told me about this idea on the phone and I thought it was pretty ingenius!! Hey...whatever works. And the good things is, if anyone with a bladeless vibrating device dies suddenly and their kids find it while cleaning the house out, they will just think "oh yeah...that is that thing Mom used to keep the dog from freaking out when she clipped her!!" and THAT is a good thing!!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Barb told me about this idea on the phone and I thought it was pretty ingenius!! Hey...whatever works. And the good things is, if anyone with a bladeless vibrating device dies suddenly and their kids find it while cleaning the house out, they will just think "oh yeah...that is that thing Mom used to keep the dog from freaking out when she clipped her!!" and THAT is a good thing!!
ROFL.... So what you're saying is my sister needs to get a poodle so she and her husband have an excuse? Lets just say she is very drawn to novelties of any kind and shops waaaayyyy to much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts