Poodle Forum banner

First time dog owner -- help!

1573 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jester's mom
My husband and I just brought home our toy poodle, Toby, 2 nights ago. We are kennel training him because we both work full time, so we just come home on our lunch break. the first night, he only whined for 1/2 an hour then slept through the night until 6:30 am.

Last night was miserable, though. He barked like crazy about every other hour. When I get him out of his kennel he is shaky and anxious ... and it is quite a fight to get him to go in there at all. He is happy as can be when he is with us and he is doing well with eating and potty training.

Are we doing what we should be? Any tips?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When we get home, we let him out right away and let him run around to let out his energy. We then take him right outside to go potty. Then we just play with him and he eats and rests. we have just started taking him on walks, he is still a little scared of cars, etc. but he is getting used to it and I think he'll love it. Is there a certain way to teach him how to go potty while we are on a walk?

He is 9 weeks old -- is he ok to sleep through the night without a potty break and also get through the day with 1 potty break first thing in the morning and another halfway through my 8 hr work day? He hasn't gone potty in his kennel, so I think he is ok, but just want to make sure I shouldn't be waking up in the night to let him out. We did try that once, but it just makes him freak out in his kennel even more after we put him back in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.