Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just brought home our toy poodle, Toby, 2 nights ago. We are kennel training him because we both work full time, so we just come home on our lunch break. the first night, he only whined for 1/2 an hour then slept through the night until 6:30 am.

Last night was miserable, though. He barked like crazy about every other hour. When I get him out of his kennel he is shaky and anxious ... and it is quite a fight to get him to go in there at all. He is happy as can be when he is with us and he is doing well with eating and potty training.

Are we doing what we should be? Any tips?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I leave the kennel door open all day, I never put paris in without her favorite treat. Now if i give her the favorite things she runs into the kennel to eat it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
What is your normal schedule with him when you get home?

I know time is limited on your lunk break, so he probably only has time to come out for a quick potty session...but try to take him for as long of a walk as you can in that time to help him release some energy.

I know you haven't had him long but its not too soon to get him used to a routine. I would recommend coming home, taking him on another walk before you give him some off leash play time where it is fenced and safe for him. I would feed him soon thereafter...and maybe a bit of training like for sit or down after his potty break.

Just remember to let him rest for a while after eating so his stomach doesn't get upset...maybe that would be a good time to lay in his crate with the door open with a favorite toy.

I have found that my toy girls drive me nuts if they don't get at least one walk (but 2 or 3 is better) and some play time outside at least 2-3 times per day OTHER than their potty breaks.

I know its a lot of work but he is young and has tons of energy for short amounts of time...in a few months he will settle into your routine and will take to the crating easier as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When we get home, we let him out right away and let him run around to let out his energy. We then take him right outside to go potty. Then we just play with him and he eats and rests. we have just started taking him on walks, he is still a little scared of cars, etc. but he is getting used to it and I think he'll love it. Is there a certain way to teach him how to go potty while we are on a walk?

He is 9 weeks old -- is he ok to sleep through the night without a potty break and also get through the day with 1 potty break first thing in the morning and another halfway through my 8 hr work day? He hasn't gone potty in his kennel, so I think he is ok, but just want to make sure I shouldn't be waking up in the night to let him out. We did try that once, but it just makes him freak out in his kennel even more after we put him back in.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
When I put my dogs into their crates I always give them a treat, a nice soft chewy treat, they soon are happy to get in. Having said that, it does take a little while for the pup to learn that making noise is not going to get them "out". It is a new and, to them, scary situation. I have found that letting the pup learn that all that noise is not going to get them anything, after a few nights they settle in and get to understand the routine. If your pup is not soiling during the night, I would not let him out in the middle of the night for making a lot of noise as this will only ingrain this action as ok to do.

Also, one thing I have found that is very helpful in teaching the pup not to be over anxious in their crate, is when I do get up or get home and go to open the crate to let the pup out, if it is whining and bouncing against the door and going nuts to get out, I tell the pup to Shhh or say "quiet" and tap the door whenever they jump against it and when the pup sits back and is quiet for a few seconds, then I let them out. I make them sit quietly a little longer over time and it doesn't take long for the pup to realize that making noise and bouncing does not get them out, but sitting and waiting quietly does. This also seems to teach them to be more calm and quiet in general in the crate.

It may take a few nights of broken sleep, but he should learn in not too many nights that making noise doesn't help. To me, that is the worst part of a new puppy, those few nights of hearing them complain. :)
Good luck with your little darling!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts