Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy Ruger scared me today! He is home over a week now and doing great. Being a good boy in general. So today I decided to clean my hallway closet with his help. I was going through all the shoes and Ruger was drugging them out of the closet so it is easier for me too get read off one's we do not need ;).
So all was going well. I finished the cleaning and he was running in the living room with his toys. That was what I was sure of, so I was closing the closet door and heard the really loud cry. Apparently he ran to the door and put his nose right in it when I was closing it. So he got hit really hard by the door. I thought that I broke his nose. I picked him up and checked, no visible damage. Was holding that sweet nose in my hands until he cried for about 30 seconds, then he just decided to play again. I still do not know if there is any damage and not sure if I should call my vet. I have an appointment on Thursday, day after tomorrow.
That was so scary. And he cannot tell me if he is still in pain.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That sounds scary, the fact that he went back to playing is a good sign. Puppy's are pretty resilient. I imagine you just want to keep an eye on it for a day.

Basil's feet slid out from her suddenly after hitting on the brakes as we were getting ready to go outside THUNK. It happened exactly like in the cartoons. She cried for about 30 seconds while I cottled her and rubber her back in my arms, then she was okay.

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
I hate that terrible feeling, "OMG, I just broke the dog." My scare was when Galen impatiently darted forward just as I was launching a hard Chuck-It ball from the thrower. He shrieked, and then he kept shrieking while running. It must have really hurt. I felt awful. He was fine later.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far he looks OK. Slept, did his business outside, ate his lunch, worked with me on come-sit-paw-down-roll over. Looks a bit calmer then usual, but this may be my imagination. I tried to slightly press his snout and he was OK with it - no signals of pain. Right now he is busy pulling on my pants, so I will hope he is ok.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had to get something from that closet. Normally Ruger would run in it trying to get what he can reach to drug it out. This time he was really keeping his distance from that door. Just a coincidence?

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
If you want him to be comfortable around that door again, time to do some playing nearby! Just behave normally, like everything is fine, and he should be fine. It's possible he's reacting to the bop on the nose, but it's also possible he's reacting to your reaction. If you were upset after it happened, he felt that and it probably worried him. Holding his muzzle after may have also felt like a physical correction, even though it was coming from a place of love.

Like Basil said, puppies are physically quite resilient. They're also looking to their humans to teach them what's scary and what's not.

Peggy hurts herself alllll the time. But she's like a kid and just picks herself up and keeps going. Meanwhile, I'm quietly freaking out. Lol. I'll then make a note of what happened and when, so I can refer back in case it causes problems down the road. Luckily, it never has!

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I just had to get something from that closet. Normally Ruger would run in it trying to get what he can reach to drug it out. This time he was really keeping his distance from that door. Just a coincidence?
I don’t think so. He will be wary of it from now on.

If he’s a toy, they tend to be underfoot a lot. One tip : dragging your feet is a good way to avoid stepping on them. It has saved me from hurting my dogs so many times !

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If he’s a toy, they tend to be underfoot a lot. One tip : dragging your feet is a good way to avoid stepping on them. It has saved me from hurting my dogs so many times !
He is a mini, but only 9 weeks old. And yes - i learned that drugging the feet is the safest way to move around the house. Almost stepped on his little paws couple times.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holding his muzzle after may have also felt like a physical correction, even though it was coming from a place of love.
I know that grabbing may be intimidating, but I just wonted to put some hand worms to his snout - I happened to beleive that hands can heal the pain. I was not holding it tight, just very jentle. He did not look scared of me.

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
I know that grabbing may be intimidating, but I just wonted to put some hand worms to his snout - I happened to beleive that hands can heal the pain. I was not holding it tight, just very jentle. He did not look scared of me.
Then just do some playing by the mean door. :) He'll look to you for guidance, see that you're not scared, and his fear should melt away.

In the end, it may be a good experience for him.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the end, it may be a good experience for him.
It is for sure an experience for ME to look down BEFORE closing any doors. I just did not have a small puppy for over 20 years now, so forgot about all preclusions. It is coming back to me :)
Ruger is a brave boy, he will get over it. He already came much closer to the door when I was taking my coat to take him outside. I was just really concerned about an injury. He looks fine right now chewing on a hard cookie.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If he is behaving normally and doesn't seem to be in pain, I think you can wait until your upcoming doctors visit.

I do the poodle shuffle all the time!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
When Asta was a puppy I stepped on him more than I can say. He also would wrap around my legs and seemed quite surprised when I fell down in a tangle. And so many other weird things that elicited a sharp whine. He bounced back quick from all the trials and tribulations. I would just reassure him that I was sorry with lots of pets and hugs. My attention to him very forgiving.
puppies do bounce back quickly.

·
Registered
Olive, black miniature poodle, 9 months old
311 Posts
Many months ago, I accidentally dropped Olive. She was limping and crying for a few minutes but then she just went to sleep.She never broke anything, it just hurt. If Brownie is doing all right you do not need to take him to the vet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Puppies. My Dad always said the little buggers were suicidal & it was amazing they got to adulthood when things like this would happen. This was usually after he had to cut one out of a pipe or get a pup out of the engine of something where they'd crawled into. I'm glad your pup is alright. Nothing makes you feel lower than to accidentally cause pain to your puppy but most of us have some sort of mishap in the raising of all our pups. I've fallen over them, on them, toppled something off the counter & bonked them,

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Happy to hear that all's well :).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts