Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just returned from our first outdoor trial. It wasn’t scheduled to be an outdoor trial but running outdoors is the only way to hold trials now. It is the first AKC agility trial to run in NY after COVID. There were multiple safety precautions, and I felt very comfortable with how it was managed.

I ran the two older girls today, Lily and Misty. Lily (poodle mix, dog in my avatar) Q’d in 2/3 runs and the one she didn’t q in was my fault, I sent her to the wrong jump...stupid handler! I was bummed because a q in that would have been her Excellent title in jumpers and weaves, but totally my fault. Misty OTOH (Bichon mix) decided today she was a bloodhound, and spent the first two runs with her nose to the ground sniffing her way around the ring. Ugh. The third run was better and even though she didn’t q, she did settle down and work the course.

Tomorrow is Gracie’s agility Quinceanera. We will see how that goes! Gracie is a mini poo, and is 18 months old now. I only entered her tomorrow so I can devote the day to her. She is doing good in class, but the distractions of a trial are different. Either way, it will be a nice day outside with her doing something we both love...a qualifying score would be nice though!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Congratulations! That’s a great result if you’re not accustomed to outdoor trials. I may need to trial outdoors now to stay safe. My one attempt with my spoo was several years ago and kind of a disaster. My beagle thinks that an outdoor trial is just an opportunity for sniffing. Or, an indoor trial in a fairgrounds building!

Just received a premium for a September trial in an indoor soccer facility. We had so much fun there last year, but it’s difficult to predict whether trials of this size can be safely held indoors (given rising rates of COVID in states that reopened).

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outdoor trials do present challenges, but it was lovely to be outside and have room to spread out. Both positives and negatives to it. I signed up for another trial in two weeks that will be a similar format.

Scooterscout, I hope by September we are able to compete indoors, safely. It all remains to be seen.

I was happy with Gracie’s performance in her first trial today. She qualified in standard, which was very nice. She had moments of brilliance in jumpers and weaves but decided to add an extra tunnel into the mix so got an off course. Overall, I was very pleased with her, both in and out of the ring.
I attached a pic of Gracie with her first blue ribbon, and more importantly, first qualifying ribbon!

Attachments

Reactions: FloofyPoodle

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks PTP! She was in her element, strutting around the trial like she was born to do this. Was quiet and calm in the crate while I worked in the ring and was just plain happy, and her usual social self. After managing reactive dogs in agility, it was refreshing to have this bubbly, dog/people/kid friendly dog. I’m very excited at the years that lay ahead!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Very impressive and congratulations to you and all your dogs. What a great little agility dog Gracie has become to have done so well in her first trial outdoors.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Skylar, I am looking forward doing more outside trials, and am so pleased with Gracie. Here’s another picture I edited to be a little better, I’m not the best photographer! The professional photographer was only there Saturday and she was entered on Sunday. I was bummed as I wanted a good pic of her. Oh well, next time!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,478 Posts
Congrats on the outing. It sounds like your guys handled the addition of all the outdoor distractions decently.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bondimom and Cowpony- it was lots of fun! The outdoor distractions are tough, we’ll need to keep working on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts