Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got up the nerve, gathered all of my necessary tools and finally bathed and groomed my 2 lovely spoos. My male, Boomer who is a pretty big guy 26" did OK, the cut kind of looks like he went to the beauty school to get a haircut, but what the heck, its only hair. I probably won't take him out to the park to walk for another couple of weeks, but he's clean and trimmed and I even trimmed between his toes! I did nick him once on the back of his foot, I felt bad and loved on him and apologized and kept grooming. My much smaller little girl Laci, was in much better shape, she had had a groom a month or so ago before her hernia surgery (I wanted her to come home from surgery looking fabulous), she didn't have any big mats, and no real issues, I still had a tough time trimming their tummies... Boomer laid on the table, to let me shave his belly, which by the way was a round picnic table in my back yard. Hello Beverly Hillbillies? But it worked, and it was a good height for me and since it was round I could walk around it, it would be better if it were a little smaller though. The bath really was the roughest part, and I was so sore on Monday from all of the bending and crouching. Other than that, for my first time, I think it went well and I saved about $100 (my groomer gives me a great deal since I was one of her first customers when she moved to our very small rural community).
thanks for all of the advice here, it is very much appreciated. I watched a ton of videos on YouTube and there are still some tools that I would need if I do it regularly, like a dryer, which I did not have one, but I brushed and combed them dry for the most part.
thanks again all...

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Doesn't it give you such a great feeling of accomplishment when you look at your freshly bathed and clipped pups (even if they don't look "professional") and know that you DID IT YOURSELF???!!! :)

I remember the first time I picked up a clipper and touched it to Lucy's foot - YIKES! But with time and practice it gets easier and faster and I love being able to keep her looking good without paying the groomer every week or two!

Good job!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it did feel great actually... they are both pretty good in the bathtub and I have a hose sprayer which worked well, I was a little obsessive about getting them rinsed very very well after the conditioner, but their hair looks good and fluffy and haven't seen anyone itch with leftover product on their skin, so I guess I did ok. I figured out that if I sat on the edge of the tub, with my feet inside of the tub I didn't have to bend and reach so much and it was easier on my back and knees. I definitely would love to have a raised tub, maybe I can talk hubby into that in the basement, we're finishing it now, might as well put in things we want now, right?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Congrats on the grooming. I'm just learning to do fft and it sure does give you a sense of accomplishment when they are all pretty again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts