Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lacey went into her first heat today, 4/20/20. When I groomed her a week ago I noticed her vulva had definitely grown in size, but I wasn’t sure how far off that meant her cycle would start.
I guess she’s not considered a puppy anymore? She’s 9 months and 3 days old, right at the age the breeder said most of their minis go into heat.
I suppose today was her last walk for awhile. I’ve done some research on this but I will have to look into it more.
My baby is growing up :*)

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts
Aw! Congratulations on becoming a little woman, Lacey. :)

Peggy had her first heat in February and is definitely still an adolescent. I'd compare it to calling a teenage girl an adult because she's had her first period: Her body may be sexually mature, but she still has a lot more growing to do! Then again, spoos do take longer to reach full maturity.

My husband still walked Peggy while she was in heat, albeit cautiously and never far. He felt okay about it, whereas I preferred to stick to our fenced backyard. It was a really cozy, sweet time with her.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
She may be a young lady now, but I'd still say she's a puppy for a while yet. I also don't have any issue walking dogs in heat in my area. Especially with little dogs, you can pick them up if you need to. But we just don't have a lot of loose dogs around.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as walking, I have neighbors the next block over that let their dogs run off leash in their non fenced small front yard. Eye roll. I can see their yard clearly from my front yard. I don’t know if they’re male or female dogs or if they’re neutered. I’ll have to ask them when I see them out.
Lacey has a 3 year old unneutered yorkie poo boyfriend named Baxter who lives a few blocks away. I see them out walking often so I’d have to be vigilant and let them know. She saw him 2 days ago and was acting kind of jumpy even though he’s so submissive with her. Now I know why.
I’ll drop some pics of Lacey wearing her stylish new diapers for the first time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I’m so thankful she’s been groomed before this happened! I’ll definitely keep this thread updated on how she does.
I just sang the chorus of “I’m Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman” by Britney Spears to Lacey while petting her head. My boyfriend is a fake Britney fan and doesn’t know that song. He asked me if I was losing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts