Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My pup's 8 months old, and I think she may be getting into her first heat. She's very interested in other dog's urine when we're out for a walk so much so that I end up often dragging her along. Is this a sign? Also more vulvar licking. My vet said best to wait 'til she's close to or has had a first heat cycle before spaying because there are growth hormones that are necessary for gaps in cartilage to close. Also wondering if her recent development of a red eyelid, maybe conjunctivitis?, is linked with the hormonal changes. I read on a dog health site this may be a factor. She does have a vet appointment on Thursday. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Being interested in other dog’s urine is not a sign of being in heat. All dogs are, males and females. It’s more of a sign of growing up... Urine spots tell a lot to a dog, that’s why it’s called « pee mail ». Let your dog sniff (when you can), it’s important to them.

Best way to tell if your dog is in heat is the swelling of the vulva. 8 months seems a little to be in heat, but it’s not impossible. I agree it’s best to spay after the first heat and/or around 12-14 months old.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts