Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend Mercury and I will be in out first show ever. It is a fun match for the local kennel club and I have no idea what to expect...but we are going to have fun anyway. There will be no points awarded and the whole thing is just for fun/practice which is good because Merc and I are in no way ready for a real show. I don't even know what kind of leash or collar to use or what other equiptment to bring. Are you allowed to use treats in the ring? For some reason I don't think so. I know Im just going to look silly out there, but you have to start somewhere and there will be people of all levels there. Im nervous but excited.

My daughter will be showing Xin, our shar pei, as well and Im sure she will do pretty well. Xin is a well trained girl with a cool head. She will be doing dog show dog club/showing for 4H this year and will be using Xin for obedience and Jupiter for comformation (breed standard doesn't get judged). My middle boy will be using Mercury for 4H for both conformation and obedience. Anyway, (I am SO good at rambleing) if anyone has experience with fun matches Id appreciate advice.

·
Registered
145 Posts
YES you can use treats and you should because you want your dog to associate good times with what happens in the ring!

Practice just like you would for a real show. This is an excellent dry run opportunity. Take your stuff and get all set up just like you would if you were going to a real show. This way you will learn what you have forgotton and what works better next time (assuming you are going to show AKC in the future!) If it is a B match, it will be just like a real show except no points. Everything else is just the same so it is great practice but very relaxed...no need to wear nice clothes. Just have a good time and expose your dog to the sights sounds and sensation of the ring.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
just note that treats/lures/toys are fine in the confirmation ring, they are not allowed in the obedience/rally/agility rings! I'm pretty sure your show is confirmation though, so that's fine. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
show today

Well, today was the fun match and it was just that. Fun. Mercury did pretty well too :) The judge, whose name I can't remember, gave me lots of pointers and said that Mercury is well built, has a great topline, tail set etc and that the only real flaw he can see is his feet are a bit too flat. He said having him walk of lots of difficult terrain could help train him the hold his feet in a more cat like shape. I found that strange as I thought it wasn't something that can be changed by walking on rocks, but what do I know. He won every class he was in except for best puppy over all...or something like that. He won best spoo puppy and best non-sporting puppy. I'm thrilled. It was a kinda small show compared to what I see on tv, but average for around here. No points were gained of course, and I cut his coat in a lamb like trim so I couldn't even show him in a real AKC show in conformation anyway. The judge said that because Merc is a silver the tiny white spot will blend in as he grows and I could just dye it anyway. Isn't that cheating? Anyway, I'm quite proud of my spoo who kicked butt even if he doesn't come from good bloodlines. Yes, I know had it been a real show he probably wouldn't have done as well, but who cares, we had fun. His fav part were the green lamb and the bag of nutro treats he won. I just loves getting to show him off, as shallow as that may sound, and hanging out with him. Sorry for the bad photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You should be proud!
It looks like you both had a lot of fun, congratulations!!!

:D

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Good for both of you! Sounds like you both had a great time and are off and running well! Hope things just keep getting better. :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That is so cool!
Well done you and Mercury on your wins!

Also about the flat feet, our Dobermann breeder told us to give our puppy Dolomite powder, just a teaspoon or two on their breakfast every morning, which helps a lot with their feet. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Congratulations! You have reason to be proud! Merc is very handsome. Love his color. And best of all, you had a blast with him. How cool to win the group, too. I'd say you had a great day. Enjoyed all the pics (including the toy prize).

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Well, today was the fun match and it was just that. Fun. Mercury did pretty well too :) The judge, whose name I can't remember, gave me lots of pointers and said that Mercury is well built, has a great topline, tail set etc and that the only real flaw he can see is his feet are a bit too flat. He said having him walk of lots of difficult terrain could help train him the hold his feet in a more cat like shape. I found that strange as I thought it wasn't something that can be changed by walking on rocks, but what do I know. He won every class he was in except for best puppy over all...or something like that. He won best spoo puppy and best non-sporting puppy. I'm thrilled.

Congratulations, that is fantastic :flowers:. Last Sunday I went with my Monti to our first show and it looks like we won the same prices. We also didn't win the best of show :wink: but it was so much fun and very exciting, right?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
congrats how fun :)

What is a fun match ? is it like a open show ?
If it's anything like here, you just turn up register on the day, don't even have to have registration papers, just have to be purebred. We call it a Ribbon Parade, as the prizes are Ribbons, and other bits and pieces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts