Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my poodle will be a year old in a few weeks. The breeder advised I should hold off on a full groom to avoid damaging his coat while it transitions from his puppy coat to his adult coat.

I can’t seem to find concrete information on when his coat will finish changing so not sure when to get him full groom.

Just wondering what’s an ideal age to schedule a full groom? He’s gotten puppy cuts (face, paws and bottom) eventually I would like to keep him in a teddy bear/lamb cut.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The poodle with the bandana is Obi, the headless poodle is how I want his coat to look like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
You can schedule a full groom ASAP, if you want. Buck came to us with several FTT’s and baths under his belt. I waited until his vaccinations were done and then off to the groomer he went and ever after. I don’t understand why you would wait for coat change for a full groom when you can stay ahead of the mats and tangles with one.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
We're always puzzled when we hear members reporting that the groomer says that the adult coat would be damaged by grooming the puppy coat.

It's just not true.

As Mfmst said, you really don't want to go thru the matting of coat change with unnecessarily long fur, That's a nightmare.

As Dechi said, it's so important for a poodle to get used to full grooming early in their lives. The longer you wait, the harder it is for them to accept it.

Whoever ends up doing the lifelong grooming will probably throw you a party for making the process easier for your pup, and by extension, for the groomer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
He's very cute! I love reds in teddy trims.

Not grooming can be more damaging to the coat, especially if it gets Matted. Trimming the coat keeps the coat stronger and it's better for the dog to learn how to be fully groomed at a young age. That was bad advise! Only breeds with double coats are damaged when clipped. I starting to trim divas coat at 12 weeks.
The dog on the right is a doodle it does have a good finish though. you wont have a problem getting a good finish on your dog but it depends on the groomer. Good scissors, good scissoring technique and of course a good fluff dry will achieve the best results. I've worked with groomers that don't fluff dry poodles! so they don't have a good even finish so you may want to check yours will fluff dry.

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts
Our groomer, who I adore, has also advised against doing any body clips until Peggy's adult coat is in. So this is upsetting to me! I want to trust her.....

She does see Peggy once a month for sanitary, face, and paws, and to build a relationship with her/get her comfortable with the grooming process. And oh boy is it ever working! Peggy loves her.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Our groomer, who I adore, has also advised against doing any body clips until Peggy's adult coat is in. So this is upsetting to me! I want to trust her.....

She does see Peggy once a month for sanitary, face, and paws, and to build a relationship with her/get her comfortable with the grooming process. And oh boy is it ever working! Peggy loves her.
She may be saying that because it's more difficult to work with the soft puppy coat, especially with the legs. But I've been giving Misha full body trims every 2-4 weeks since 12 weeks and at 7 months his coat is getting much easier to work with. I don't know that I'd trust a groomer who says that either. You might ask why and see what she says.

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts

She may be saying that because it's more difficult to work with the soft puppy coat, especially with the legs. But I've been giving Misha full body trims every 2-4 weeks since 12 weeks and at 7 months his coat is getting much easier to work with. I don't know that I'd trust a groomer who says that either. You might ask why and see what she says.
She says it damages the texture of the coat and, if I understood her correctly, makes it harder to manage when the adult coat starts growing in. Not quite right, I guess?

To be fair, I DO adore Peggy's puppy fluff. And I know it'll be a distant memory before we know it.

She's getting loads of exposure to the sights, sounds, smells, and tediousness of grooming with her monthly 90-minute appointments.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Top show dog owner/groomers scissor their dogs coats very early and often if it damaged the coat they certainly wouldn't be doing it. It certainly doesn't damage the coat. I was never taught this when training and my tutor also owned poodles.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Pup go for it, take him to a groomer now or you will have a nightmare on your hands, he won't know how to behave and he will mat up. It doesn't damage the coat.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

Puppy coat change can start at 9ish months and last till 18+ months old. I honestly don’t know anyone that could maintain an entire dog with 18 months of growth ESPECIALLY during coat change where dogs can matt within days. Even show dogs only keep that much growth on their topknots and necks and they are bathed, dried, brushed, and banded/wrapped weekly or sometimes even more often during coat change.
What’s gonna damage the coat (but not permanently, nothing you do during grooming as long as you don’t somehow damage the skin by burning it or something will permanently damage the coat, the damage parts will just need to grow out to be cut off ) is constantly dematting a dog to try to maintain a year plus worth of growth through coat change and that dematting that damages the coat will encourage more matting creating more damage. This will also make the dog hate grooming.
Some old school poodle people even shave their 8 week old puppies ‘bald’ cause they believe it improves texture!

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts

Puppy coat change can start at 9ish months and last till 18+ months old. I honestly don’t know anyone that could maintain an entire dog with 18 months of growth ESPECIALLY during coat change where dogs can matt within days. Even show dogs only keep that much growth on their topknots and necks and they are bathed, dried, brushed, and banded/wrapped weekly or sometimes even more often during coat change.
What’s gonna damage the coat (but not permanently, nothing you do during grooming as long as you don’t somehow damage the skin by burning it or something will permanently damage the coat, the damage parts will just need to grow out to be cut off ) is constantly dematting a dog to try to maintain a year plus worth of growth through coat change and that dematting that damages the coat will encourage more matting creating more damage. This will also make the dog hate grooming.
Some old school poodle people even shave their 8 week old puppies ‘bald’ cause they believe it improves texture!
It didn't make a whole lot of sense to us, but I've just been so grateful for this groomer. Didn't want to make a fuss. Thank you (and to everyone else!) for your insight.

At Peggy's December appointment, I'm going to say it's time. Her coat looks gorgeous for a few days after grooming, but it's already too much for us to maintain properly. The upside is it forces us to keep working with her on brushing.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I would want my poo to have had a full groom before ever taking it home the first time! This makes no sense. How can it affect their coat? The biggest problem would be if they were not later able to tolerate being groomed in my mind.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Clipping and scissoring does not damage the coat! I am amazed that anyone thinks that. Any puppy who is not being shown in conformation is better off clipped short - really short - maybe 1/2 inch of body coat. That will be easy to keep free of mats. Topknot, tail, and bracelets (if used) are, of course, longer.

Those of us who show in conformation can hardly wait to put a puppy into an adult clip because the puppy clip is so much more work.

And all the people who mentioned that poodles who are groomed regularly from the time they are 4 or 5 weeks old are much less upset by being groomed - good for you! That's absolutely true.

Little babies need to have only face/feet/tail clipped and nails clipped/ground. Once the body coat is over an inch long it can be cut back. Many show puppies have their body coat cut back severely at about 3 months of age - sometimes that results in better coat texture. I've not tried it myself.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I’ve also been told it’s best to groom early and often. Your breeder must be mis-informed.

Gracie has a beautiful, thick coat and has been regularly groomed since she was 6 weeks old or so. Still has a soft puppy coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
She says it damages the texture of the coat and, if I understood her correctly, makes it harder to manage when the adult coat starts growing in. Not quite right, I guess?

To be fair, I DO adore Peggy's puppy fluff. And I know it'll be a distant memory before we know it.

She's getting loads of exposure to the sights, sounds, smells, and tediousness of grooming with her monthly 90-minute appointments.
Hmm. I do know that it is sort of easier to trim a lot off at once than it is to just trim a little. You get a more even cut because it gets picked up better by the comb. Other than that I'm not sure there are valid reasons. I have only experienced increasingly easy grooms as my pup's coat grows in and the texture is improving. Still soft but getting much denser. It likely is just something she has never experienced but avoids because of misinformation.

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts

Hmm. I do know that it is sort of easier to trim a lot off at once than it is to just trim a little. You get a more even cut because it gets picked up better by the comb. Other than that I'm not sure there are valid reasons. I have only experienced increasingly easy grooms as my pup's coat grows in and the texture is improving. Still soft but getting much denser. It likely is just something she has never experienced but avoids because of misinformation.
I'm hoping to surprise my husband just before Christmas with a full body clip.

For Peggy not for him! ?

Our groomer seems to be coming around to the idea, and as long as Peggy still has her nice clean feet and face, I'm okay with saying farewell to some of the fluff. But I'll sure miss it.

I'm forever fighting puppy fever, even when I'm in the thick of raising one. And that sweet puppy fluff is going to be calling my name.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'm hoping to surprise my husband just before Christmas with a full body clip.

For Peggy not for him! ?

Our groomer seems to be coming around to the idea, and as long as Peggy still has her nice clean feet and face, I'm okay with saying farewell to some of the fluff. But I'll sure miss it.

I'm forever fighting puppy fever, even when I'm in the thick of raising one. And that sweet puppy fluff is going to be calling my name.
Haha I thought I felt that way too until I cut it short one time and loved it. It is so much easier to brush and dry and it shows off their beautiful athletic bodies. I enjoy growing it out to a point as well though. But recently the tk got trimmed way back because I just could not deal with brushing it out anymore. Once it's frustrating to both me and the dog it's not worth it. I'm sure both Peggy and your husband will love how athletic she looks with a clip!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Anyone who would recommend to not groom at a very young age is very inexperienced. Are you sure they really have experience? I only deal with both breeders and groomers with a lot of experience. None of them would ever suggest what was recommended to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts