Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get Annie into dog training classes basically since I got her without success. She's a year and a half now, and today had her first ever class (my first ever class too). It's an intro to manners for dog sports class. I was nervous, as she has some excitement based reactivity if there are other dogs who are barking/bouncing, and focusing with other dogs has always been a challenge as she would rather play than work.

And she did great, far better than I had any right to expect or had even hoped for! If she is even half as good next class, I will be very happy.

She focused almost the entire class, and only barked once. The trainer was very good, cheerful and positive, the class is small (4 people),and the other dogs were good too. The trainer actually said that she was disappointed there wasn't more reactivity, as she likes being able to demonstrate how to politely deal with reactivity in a class or sport situation.

So - thank you all for all the training suggestions I've gotten over the last year, they definitely set us up for success! Annie already knew/understood almost everything I was asking of her, and if she didn't, it was relatively easy to communicate what I wanted.

She did a great job of settling at my feet in front of our socially distanced chair while we weren't working and mostly ignoring the other dogs. She even sprawled out fully on her side and relaxed a few times while the instructor was talking.

It was a 45 min drive, so I got there 15 min early, took her for a 10 min country walk on a long line to burn off some energy before we started. Class ended up running 1:20 min, so by about 50 min in she began loosing focus, then at she started showing me where the gate was, and requesting we leave now, as she was done. It was 31 C (88 F) and humid in an outdoor covered arena, she had finished the water I had brought from the car, and honestly, I was hot and tired too!

That was also when she barked (other dog was barking), and decided that the exercise we were working on was boring (sending over a mini jump to get to the trainer with a treat in a bowl), and would be far funner if she ignored the boring treat, and just tried to kiss the trainers face instead. Silly poodle.

We worked on recalls with a new word, walking near other dogs, look at me with the dog in other places than in front of you, stay on the table, some intro to agility stuff. Lots of fun.

Then after class we drove to a park by the river, walked in the river a bit to cool off, she stood in line for ice cream with me, and then we went to the pet store to buy treats and dog food (and mostly ignored the scary cat), and drove 45 min home.

I have a VERY tired poodle now.

I need to remember next time to take some mini play breaks during class next time, as Annie likes silly time almost as much as treats, and her brain was pretty fried by the end.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
That is just marvelous!

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hah, the after class river break was very unplanned. My Alberta-born self melts after 25C, or even 20 C with humidity. I saw the turnoff to the river park, the sign for ice cream, listened to my hot panting dog and suddenly, we were parked.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Great start to your first class.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Sounds like a great day!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We graduated!!! She had gotten comfortable enough as of our last class to engage in some poodle mischief, plus we were doing too many reps for her poodle brain, but we graduated!!! Yay us.

Best poodle mischief was flyball practice... trainer had Annie's favourite kong squeaky ball loaded. On her third run, she ran, grabbed it, realized there was a bucket FULL of balls next to the turn thingy, dropped her ball, hopped to the side, and rooted around the bucket pulled out a tennis ball, and returned to me over the jumps with her new toy... I laughed... silly dog.

There are two more 4 week sets of classes offered. I really like the trainer, so Annie and I are going to sign up for the next set.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
We graduated!!! She had gotten comfortable enough as of our last class to engage in some poodle mischief, plus we were doing too many reps for her poodle brain, but we graduated!!! Yay us.

Best poodle mischief was flyball practice... trainer had Annie's favourite kong squeaky ball loaded. On her third run, she ran, grabbed it, realized there was a bucket FULL of balls next to the turn thingy, dropped her ball, hopped to the side, and rooted around the bucket pulled out a tennis ball, and returned to me over the jumps with her new toy... I laughed... silly dog.

There are two more 4 week sets of classes offered. I really like the trainer, so Annie and I are going to sign up for the next set.
Congratulations!!!! Are you going to celebrate? What's included in the other classes?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congratulations!!!! Are you going to celebrate? What's included in the other classes?
Next classes are 4 weeks of just flyball, 4 weeks of just agility. No celebration, Annie was too tired lol! The classes always run about 1:15, and by 45 min she tells me she could leave now and reminds me where the gate is.
20200713_222327.jpg
This was her last night.

I am also considering a scent class that is being held elsewhere soon, but it is such a long drive and I dont know what my plans are for the fall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts