Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my first attempt at spiffing up Lucy's feet... She did SOOOOOO well for her face and the feet were good, but I think it tickled more between the toes... I did one at a time with some breaks in between (for me as well as for her!) I know there are still some fuzzy spots (those darn toes are so bumpy and lumpy and there are nooks and crannies... I had no IDEA!!) :)

In the pictures where you see her face, she hasn't become a bi-color poodle all of the sudden... She and her "niece" Chalumeau (my daughter's year old spoo) were playing in the back yard and had a grand old time digging a big hole in the sandbox (and then I think she rolled in it!) :rolffleyes:

Here's my girl!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!! Fluffyspoos, my original goal is to get proficient enough to keep her beautiful between professional grooms... If, in time, I get comfortable enough to do more, I will do more... I would love to be able to maybe do every other full groom - until I know what I'm capable of, I'm definitely going to build a relationship with a good pro groomer so she can have it done right periodically!

We obtained the grooming table for free (long story having to do with a rescue spoo we took in last winter and re-homed.) and I'm currently using my daughter's grooming equipment, although my clippers are scheduled to arrive any day!!

We'll see how comfortable I get with sharp instruments! lol!!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
You just have to learn your equipment and where the red zong spots are on a dog that you need to be careful around. Your groomer's going to be very impressed that you're doing her face and feet at home, and it looks good!

Normally when we have clients at my salon that 'trim' their dogs at home it's normally a hack job with kitchen scissors where I'm surprised they didn't cut the dog, and then we have to figure out how to fix it.

When I get my standard I'm totally going to make grooming videos to help people online.

Did you get the clippers that have a blade that's screwed onto the clippers, or ones that you take out and replace for other sizes (like #3, #4, #5, #7, #10, ext)?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wow those look really good!! I can't ever get the feet to look smooth and clean like that. There's always scragglies, and my clippers get way too hot too quickly for me to spend a lot of time working at them.

Ooh FluffySpoos, you should definitely make grooming videos whenever you get your poodle!! I love watching grooming videos online. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get the clippers that have a blade that's screwed onto the clippers, or ones that you take out and replace for other sizes (like #3, #4, #5, #7, #10, ext)?
The ones that I'm expecting to be delivered are the kind with replaceable blades. It's an Oster Power Max with a #10 blade. I also ordered a #15 and a #5F. I'll add to my supplies as I figure out what I may need - and maybe sell the stuff I don't.

The ones I did Lucy's face and feet with this time were a pair of mini clippers/trimmers that my daughter had on hand... they came in a box that says "Oster Simply Pink trim kit... Delicately trims face, paws & ears..." I don't think she'd used them more than once and they were just in the drawer... They seemed to do the job for now. (oooooh, I just noticed they're in the 2nd two pictures above - they're sitting on the grooming table beside Lucy!)

Thanks for your compliments, too! I know I'm not ready to try anything major yet (but she's only 10 1/2 weeks old, so I'm not in a huge hurry!) If I can get good at the FFT, I'll be happy!

I have a DVD that was made by Annette Shepard which has helped me see what I'm supposed to be doing. It's not a great quality video, but it's better than having no resources at all to view... and it's better than the "free" ones that came with Katy's clippers!! Videos are good!!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fantastic job :cheer2: PLUM !!!!!

Is your pup from RebelStar :) ???
Thanks!!! :) My puppy is from Arreau Red Standard Poodles in Ontario. I've seen Annette's website and read her stories... The one about Jenna broke my heart! I ordered the DVD for my daughter, but I'm the only one who's taken the time to watch the whole thing (several times!!) I'm anal that way! :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks for posting about that video : ))) !!! That is a GREAT find ! So it shows "how to groom the poodle" from start to finish ???

PS: Yes, just horrible what is happening "out there" : ((( One almost can not trust anybody with one's dog :(. I know of such stories about some handlers and even ...oh well ... better not to go there ; ) ...

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.ehow.com/video_2348289_poodle-dog-grooming-front-paws.html?optype=video

I know this has been posted before but some of the newbies may have missed it. Ehow.com has everything, how to groom feet, face, hindquarters, sanitary area... etc! check it out! pretty cool!
Thanks, heather!! I've seen some of these videos, too. Her dogs are SOOO good on the table!

One of the nice things about Annette's video is that she does an 11 week old standard poodle puppy from start to finish (including bathing, force drying, clipping and scissoring). It shows how a puppy may not stand perfectly still all the time and how to handle that. By the time I'm done watching that segment (like 4 times now...) I start speaking with a southern twang! :) Annette's from the south and it shows in her accent!

I just want to thank everyone again who've left encouraging, supportive statements for me! I want Lucy to always look her best (because I know how beautiful she can be!!) I love my daughter's spoo and I know Katy loves her too, but you guys should SEE her!! lol! She is soooo in need of a groom and Katy just doesn't take the time to do it. We do insist that Katy keeps Meau matt-free so brushing/combing does get done, but that's the minimum... Luckily she has a pro grooming appointment tomorrow... I'll post some before and after pictures so you can see why I'm so gung ho on keeping Lucy neat! :) Thanks again! Mwah!!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for posting about that video : ))) !!! That is a GREAT find ! So it shows "how to groom the poodle" from start to finish ???
The video has lots of segments... One is specifically an 11 week old baby, starting with FFT, brush out, complete bath, force dry, clipping, scissoring, nails, etc... other segments include how to line brush a poodle to ensure no mats, ear plucking, nail clipping/dremeling, etc... She shows a complete lamb cut on one of her adults plus lots more...

If anyone would like to borrow it and would be willing to pay for shipping to get it back to me when they're done, I could share! I've done this on one of my horse forums before and was able to share some of my training videos with people who couldn't otherwise afford it... Send me a PM with your address if you'd like to borrow it. I do want to stress that I'm a very honest person and I believe the best of others. I would be willing to loan this DVD on a two-week basis but then I'd want it back (in the same shape I lent it!) in case someone else would like to borrow it. First come/first lend... Lemme know!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
You are fantastic!! Her feet look terrific, we know what a remarkable job you did on her face and you are inspiring people!! Trillium has been on ebay today looking for clippers so she can try doing Betty-Jo and Jenny's face, feet and tail between grooms. I do not think you are going to have any problem at all getting good enough to do every other groom yourslef. Like you said, no big hurry, so keep doing what you have already done, getting more and more comfortable, and you will do just fine!! WAY TO GO!!!!

PS., Rory's Mommy called tonight from OKC to let me know how wonderfully he is doing. Fitting in beautifully and they are just adoring him too!!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Cherie!!! I do so love my little girl! :) I'm so glad to hear that her brother is doing well in his new home with his new family... Wouldn't it be cool if we could all meet in OKC someday?? :) Hugs!!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Well, Vicki mentioned it again and I am eager to go. It would either have to be Spring, or the following year because I will have pups again next Fall. But, lets keep planning and talking and make it a reality. I think it would be amazing!! Hugs to Princess Lucybug!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, she looks amazing! :D Do you mind me asking what cut that is? This is pretty much EXACTLY how I want my pup to look but I have no idea what it's called, LOL. I don't want his hair TOO long or poofy just so it stays clean better but that beautiful look with the clean face and paws is perfect! Does she also have hair on her tail? I'm not a fan of shaved tails at all myself. Please let me know, I am eager for your response! :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts