Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. My Lucy is 15 weeks old today. I know we are supposed to wait awhile before the first bath with shampoo. But she is beginning to have an odor. She plays with her actual sister almost every afternoon for about 2 hours. They really get rough with each other and it really gets their energy out. But I think all the mouthing & tackling is contributing to the odor.
So my question is when did you give your spoo their first bath with shampoo?

·
Super Moderator
2,236 Posts
I gave Galen his first bath with shampoo at 8 weeks, and I know his breeder bathed him at least once before I got him, maybe even twice.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not sure where you heard that from. I gave Basil her first bath the second day after coming home, like cowpony. They don't always come clean from the breeder, like clothes don't exactly come home clean when you get them from Goodwill. You should totally give Lucy a bath to get rid of the odor.

Does she fit in the kitchen sink?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post-play stink is the worst. It can really flare up my allergies.

Did the breeder tell you not to bathe her? If so, did they say why?
The Vet told me to wait till about 6 months to avoid striping the natural oils. She said I could bathe with water only any time I want, just to be carefull using shampoos.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The Vet told me to wait till about 6 months to avoid striping the natural oils. She said I could bathe with water only any time I want, just to be carefull using shampoos.
Use a gentle shampoo - one that does not irritate the eyes. I use Ring 5 dog shampoos.

I think the vet was basing that on dogs that have fur. Poodles have hair - a very different kind of coat. Just as we can shampoo our hair often, poodles can stand to be bathed often. When I was breeding standard poodles, i always bathed puppies right before they went to their new homes. If they got into their food bowl or into something stinky, I bathed them as needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts