Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first attempt at any sort of pattern, or at least maybe it will evolve into something..

I was going to wait until he had more coat to play with but I figure might as well do a band now and then just tweak it as his coat grows, it will be a project.

I'm not real happy with the band, i didn't curve it correctly like FD did on Paris i just tried to do a pants/jacket sort of trim.

I wish I could get better photos of Vega standing but unless someone is distracting him for me he always stands kind of weird if I put him up and then tell him to stay..for some reason he always looks like he wants to hurl...lol

Anyway... enjoy!

FD.. if you feel like drawing on the pictures feel free, i'd love to have an end idea in mind of how I want it to look.

Unfortunately ill have to make his tail that goes on forever work into it somehow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Are you going for a Dutch type cut? I think the band looks good but I think you need the shaved neck to balance the band.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The owner of this shop actually wanted me to do a band around his neck, he's never had one so I was nervous about doing something like that but now that i see it in pictures I think it would look nice.

I really don't know what i'm going to do with him just yet. So far just playing around with what I have as far as coat goes.. but it will grow and im sure i'll keep messing with it.

I think I will do the band around his neck though. I'm just not sure what to do with that tail.. lol

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I think with it being a straighter band, it probably would look better with the shaved neck too. I couldn't shave Paris' neck because she just has so much I think I'd cry if I had to shave it off at the moment! lol

With Paris' band I need to move hers forwards a bit, to her last rib to balance her having a big neck etc, so if you want to go for the look of a desi rather than a dutch, your band will need to move forwards too I think, as well as curving more into a nice 'V' on the spine.

I'd be inclined to try out shaving his neck; he doesn't have way too much hair to have to re-grow if you don't like it! You can probably widen the band on his belly in that case too...

His tail I think is fine as a long fuzzy 'pipe cleaner' so it sorta matches his legs (though a bit fuzzier)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
If you're not attached to the neck hair and don't normaly keep a "crest" on him then I'd so go for it with clipping his neck. I think you'll find that you like it.
The necks not so hard Aiden, getting the base of the topknot right (I like the little point at the base on my shaved necks but it's a personal choice) is what I find to be the hardest part. Otherwise I just extend the clipper work I do for clean face all the way around the back at least the width of the blade assuming I haven't done a deep V for the throat already, which I usually do on my own girls.
I used to do a lot of dutch clips (at petsmart of all places - go figure) and got really good at them. I haven't even seen one in person since I moved on to bigger and better things though. I sort of suck at them now lol which would be why poor Jazz got clippered short all over right before christmas to hide how ugly I had made her with my first attemp at a sweethart pattern. Thankgod it was MY dog is all I can say, but I figured out the mistake and learned from it so yay for that at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts