Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've done it before on our old standard foster, but she had a really coarse coat so it was sooooo easy to do since the hair didnt keep falling back down like it does on Atticus. I was expecting it to be extremely hard on Atticus but it wasnt as hard as I thought it was going to be. I was kind of hard to make him even all over and puppy hair is impossible to work with, and it makes it even harder when they dont want to hold still and keep wiggling! I took about a half in off all over in length and shortened and rounded his topknot so he doesnt have his crazy hair, and flat head in the back anymore. I also shaved his tail and the hairs that were poking his eyes. I had so much fun with his topknot I was scared I would get too carried away and chop it all off, but I thought it came out pretty good I might even make it a little shorter. I'm going to give him a bath tomarrow and try to even it out a little more. It's impossible to make it look even, his sides are curly hair and the rest of him is straight and wavy hair and he hates his feet and legs brushed. I wanted to try and shave his feet but I knew that would turn out a disaster so I decided not to. He had a bath yesterday but I couldnt find my scissors to trim him up so decided to do it today. I didnt want to bathe him 2 days in a row.
You probably cant tell I even did anything by the pics, but just thought I'd share, lol.

I dont have a pic of him standing up from before his hair cut, but here's one of his crazy top knot before.

after

^that spot on his back is so hard to do (and looking at the pic, I forgot to do along his belly)! At one point it will look even or shorter than the rest then I look from the side and its still a lump! lol. I'll work on that tomarrow, he had enough for one day.

I'll post more pics tomarrow after his bath and I do a little more scissoring. I was just so happy with how his topknot turned out I had to share :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
he does look really cute.... would say tho wait till he is bath and fluff dryed till you do scissoring as you will get the best finish

you have got a good shape on his face tho

well done

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
From one newbie at cutting/trimming I would say you did great! I can't critique and it would be hard to on him because he is so precious! He looks much improved from lil Mr. Crazy Hair :) Good Job!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think you did great! I use to scissor Bailey into a "puppy trim." He's a drop coated breed, so I know how hard it can be getting the hair even. I was always a bit happier w/ it a few day after; it looked more natural at that point.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
oh he looks good!!! I think you could take a bit more off his topknot, he looks a bit like someone who has a big forehead & receding hairline! hehehe. Just needs a touch off to bring it down to balance how short it is on his face, but all in all it does look good; well done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts