Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I noticed my dog was a little gimpy today. Upon closer inspection he seems to have scraped up his front pads. I don't have any dog salve at home right now (only one w/ cortisone and I don't want to use that till I ask the vet on Mon). Is there anything else in my house that may be safe until I can get something on Monday. Not bloody or anything (little scrapes )just a little worrisome, he is licking ( a little). I do have something to make him relax if that continues.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi Everyone, I noticed my dog was a little gimpy today. Upon closer inspection he seems to have scraped up his front pads. I don't have any dog salve at home right now (only one w/ cortisone and I don't want to use that till I ask the vet on Mon). Is there anything else in my house that may be safe until I can get something on Monday. Not bloody or anything (little scrapes )just a little worrisome, he is licking ( a little). I do have something to make him relax if that continues.
you can use Vaseline petroleum jelly, it also has healing properties and should seal his pads from bacteria or inflammation happening.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that does remind me that we have Aquaphor at home, that may do the same.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Roxy - don't forget to wash the area with warm water and mild soap. You can also dab some hydrogen peroxide on the area to clean out any possible infection. It will sting a bit.. but will help. I was recommended by my vet to do this for Snoops after his neuter... just for a short while though.
You could also put a wee bit of neosporin on the area and wrap it up with gauze until you get him to a vet.

Hope your pup gets well soon!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I do have a natural product that cleans and heals so I did that already. Doesn't seem too bothersome yet, maybe he'll rest for a couple of days and it will heal. Let's keep pur fingers crossed! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
did he "burn" his pads from running? those can take a bit to heal. keep them clean and use something like neosporin. i keep baby socks in my first aid kit for injuries - i don't know how many times i have handed them out to friends and people with injuries at agility trials/dog shows. they come in very handy - keep itty bitty and a little larger. socks are great as they keep the dirt off but let the air flow - don't get anything fancy - just plain cotton baby socks. if the sock gets wet - change it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I did email the vet and he did say to go ahead with Neosporin. The aqauphor did help yesterday so we should be on the road to recovery. Just soft walking in the house ( no dog parks or rough roads) until it looks great again. Hopefuly that will be quick.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Glad he's doing better. I found him some high fashion attire to wear during his recovery. LOL! OK...the first one is funny since it is for a toy, not to mention that a boy would never wear pink. The second ones though are for a big dog and look more masculine. What a dapper looking guy he would be!

Hehehehe.... Oh, come on now. Poor thing needs to protect his paws.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P.S. I don't think it was a burn but I am not sure. He was at the dog park on Friday but it was warm but not Hot!! It's a mystery at this point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts