Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darcy has twice now scared the cr*p out of me by getting treats stuck in his throat. I have learned my lesson to make the treats as small as possible, but have also found a first aid course taking place in June that I could go to. Has anyone done a pet first aid course? Is it worthwhile?

This is the description:

Sunday, June 13th

A ONE DAY 'PAWS ON' COURSE

(Sun 8:30am to 6pm)

A one day 'paws on' course designed to give pet lovers the necessary information and skills required to stabilize an injured animal until qualified veterinary care is available. Course topics include artificial respiration, CPR, airway obstruction, bleeding and wounds, shock, poisoning, eye and ear injuries, bone and joint injuries, preventative medicine, parasites, injuries from heat and cold, artificial respiration, CPR, airway obstruction. Content applies to both cats and dogs. Students will practice banding and rescue techniques with real dogs - you can bring your own family dog (or share one!). Naturally any attending dogs must be quiet and friendly and you must provide proof of vaccination. COST: $185.95 per person (includes First Aid manual, test + GST) All registrations must be received one week prior to the course date to accommodate shipment of manuals. Please contact Blair Keetch - [email protected] to register or call 416 360-7297 ext 222.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Wow... the cost seems rather high to me, but maybe the prices have gone up since I took my pet first aid/CPR courses. Our local red cross teamed up with our humane society and both my daughter and I took the classes - I KNOW I wouldn't/couldn't have paid close to $375 for both of us to attend, but I don't remember how much it was exactly... (for some reason $60 per person sticks in my mind - and it's rare that ANYTHING sticks there! :wacko:) :lol:

First Aid Skills Can Help Save a Life ?Your Pet?s

I felt it was very worthwhile when I took the course and I really wish I would've kept up my certification (which I didn't...) but I'm not sure I'd do it again for $185+

We covered first aid/illnesses/injuries etc., and CPR using stuffed cat/dog resusci-dummies (which were sort of creepy!) We each received pet first aid books and wallet cards saying we completed each course (and the date by which we were due for recert - which I didn't do. :()

I think a pet first aid/CPR class is a wonderful thing for any pet owner to experience, but the cost of the one you mentioned just seems a little pricey to me... :eek:hwell:

Reactions: Brenda-A

·
Registered
478 Posts
That cost is high. I think I paid $100. It is worth it for the peace of mind. I haven't had to use it, thank goodness.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Red Cross offers a Pet First Aid course where we live (Whatcom County). It is a 4 hour course & costs $50. Included is a Pet First Aid booklet that you get to keep.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does seem expensive, but I looked up a few other courses in the area, and they were in the same ballpark. Must be that exclusive "Toronto" pricing. :(

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Must be that exclusive "Toronto" pricing. :(
Well, that's just not right!! Grrrr! So, here's the deal... If that's what the going price is for pet first aid courses in your area, and you're OK with paying it (because there just isn't anything cheaper) I'd say you should go for it. You may be amazed at how much stuff you probably already know, but there will be things you pick up that may make a big difference someday and I always feel that quality education is priceless!! IMHO... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts