Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to brag about my crew. There was a lot of fireworks in the neighborhood last night, but none of my dogs barked, only once did they even bother to lift a head, they did not even care.

In prior years, we spent Fourth of July in the basement watching TV with the dogs because Tucker hated the fireworks and would be shaking all evening.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I just had to brag about my crew. There was a lot of fireworks in the neighborhood last night, but none of my dogs barked, only once did they even bother to lift a head, they did not even care.

In prior years, we spent Fourth of July in the basement watching TV with the dogs because Tucker hated the fireworks and would be shaking all evening.
My dogs are the same. Lots of fireworks to be heard from my house. I make sure they go outside for their last bathroom break before it starts, then after that it’s bedtime and they don’t pay any attention to it. They’ve never been close to fireworks, I think that helps.

I can’t believe people these days still bring their dogs with them to see fireworks. Then you see posts on Facebook where the dog slipped their collar and ran away. That makes me mad.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
All my pups did well last night. It wasn't as bad in my neighborhood as previous years. But I had them all done for the day by 8 PM and put them to bed. I fell asleep by 9:30 and really didn't hear much .

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yesterday was the loudest 4th I can remember. The local fireworks show was going on and it didn't end there...heard fireworks for 3 hours or so. Both dogs did great and didn't even flinch when I had to take them outside in the middle of it. I was surprised.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine asked to go to the garage bathroom during the loudest part of the celebration. I was actually surprised, as it's noisy in there too.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Good job, Suzy's crew! My Maltese Zooey didn't hear them at all, even the booming ones when I took her outside to potty!! Such a blessing she has become deaf to them, as she used to be fried all night from them.

The spoos barked a bit, but were more curious than scared. I gave them treats. Then they all came in and went to bed without any problems. The fireworks went on for hours--seemed longer than most years.

My dad's poor little Shih tzu had a terrible time. She was never afraid of fireworks, but after my mom died, she developed a fear.

Went to the dog park today and many people reported scared dogs. It just makes me so sad. I hate fireworks because of what they do to pets and people with PTSD.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I hate them too MF...how so many animals are terrified. And think of the wild animals out there with no walls to deaden the sound a little bit.

I went up to the street to our neighborhood party. And left the dogs at home with the tv on. Normally, Matisse couldn't care less about them and Maurice is only a wee bit nervous, not terrified. But my new city where I moved a little over a year ago has outlawed them entirely. However, I live on the outer edge of the city limits so there were some but a fair distance away, as there are big, alfalfa fields next to me on two sides and my neighbors on the other. I'm very happy my town has banned them. So at least the ones we did hear weren't very loud. And even then, not that many people do them...lots of retired people around here.

When they started, one lady left the party early to be with her dog because that dog, a rescue has lots of fear issues and even with tranquilizers and the Prozac which he's always on, he is a mess. I think they should outlaw them except for one location where the city does a display. At least they wouldn't be popping off all over the place. Poor animals.

·
Super Moderator
5,103 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what the "trick" is with fireworks. My last dog was totally unconcerned, and yet, when I got her at 4 months, she'd had no prior socialization. And honestly, I didn't really know what I was doing so her socialization after that was spotty at best.

I wish I could remember what I was doing with her the first time she heard them. She'd have been about 6 months and it was clearly uneventful, considering I have no vivid recollection of the night.

This time around, we play recordings regularly for Peggy and have done so since she was about 10 weeks old—always during play or relaxing chew time, always with positive reinforcement. But now, at 4 months, she's suddenly starting to look unsure when she hears those same recordings. Nothing major, but a definite pause in what she's doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts