Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to give a big thank you to Australia and New Zealand for sending much needed fire fighting assistance to California. I know we have poodle forum members on here from those countries, and just want to let you know how much your help is appreciated.These fires are really scary.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
These fires are really scary. I hope nobody any of us knows is in harms way.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Fires are definitely scary. I remember as a child I lived in NY and Staten Island was ablaze with fires one April. I remember collecting our dog and going house to house to get way from the fire ending up on the beach. Luckily our house remained standing with my dad on the roof pouring buckets of water on it but others weren't so lucky. We had a collie back then and we lost him about a week later. I think there was just too much smoke around for an old dog.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Wow Mufar, when were those Staten Island fires? I don't remember anything about that. On Long Island in the area I live wild fires are virtually impossible, but in the Pine Barrens out east they are actually an important part of the ecology. For the pitch pines to open their cones and release seeds there has to be the heat of a big fire. Also the fires clear the deciduous undergrowth that would out compete the seedling pines. There was a very extensive pine barrens fire in 1995. It has been very interesting to watch the ecological processes at work, although the fire was scary when it happened.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
April 20 , 1963
https://www.silive.com/specialreports/index.ssf/2011/03/firefighters_watch_helplessly.html
http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?topic=15789.0
I'll never forget it. I was 11 years old. I remember coming home for lunch as my friend were having tomato soup and I didn't like tomato soup. Good thing I rode my bike home saw fire and ran to the house. I did save my neighbors shetland sheepdog, she lost her house and all her possessions as many did. My brothers helped fight the fires, water pressure was low.My mom till the day she died talked about losing all her good pots & pans and they were needed to fill with water to help fight the fire. At first I and my grandmother taking the dogs went house to house as as the fire spread we carried what we could, I also remember carrying someones bird cage with heir parakeet. Eventually we went on to the beach, I only lived two blocks from the beach and it is etched in my mind seeing the homes smoldering with only the chimneys remaining. We were very fortunate that my dad was able to get on the roof to keep it from catching fire. To this day I have a very healthy respect for fire.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I feel so sorry for those people in the area of the fires, it has to be terrifying to go through this. Thank God I have never experienced it personally and pray I don't in the future

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
NPR had a short segment on the visiting Firefighters from Australia and New Zealand. They were explaining that terminology was different to it was critical that they understand and use the American terminology to avoid any confusion.

We're thrilled to have their much needed help. Those fires are scary, deadly and soul sucking events.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
I'll never forget it. I was 11 years old. I remember coming home for lunch as my friend were having tomato soup and I didn't like tomato soup. Good thing I rode my bike home saw fire and ran to the house. I did save my neighbors shetland sheepdog, she lost her house and all her possessions as many did...
It's an understatement to say I'm glad your father didn't lose his life trying to save the house, but two other things struck me. You were a really thoughtful kid to save your neighbor's dog. The other is kids are no longer allowed to leave for lunch, at least in most schools.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts