Poodle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To new and current puppy parents/fellow poodle owners,

I’m currently doing some research on how new puppy parents find advice on raising their puppy and how comfortable they feel doing this online.
I’d be really grateful if you could spend a few minutes answering the follow questions:

1. Where did you look for advice when raising your puppy?
  2. Do you struggle to find unbiased answers to your questions?
  3. Have you ever felt judged for choosing an option that suits your lifestyle that others may disagree with? I.e leaving the puppy to cry out on the first night.
  4. Have you ever felt worried about asking questions online because of peer judgement?
  5. Did you/do you ever feel overwhelmed by your puppy and feel unsure if that is normal?
  6. Have you ever felt worried about forgetting important steps in your puppies development? I.e how far they can walk at what age, when you should increase food measurements.
  7. Were you aware of key stages in your puppies life? I.e fear stage?
  8. Are you currently using any apps to record your puppies or dogs progress?

Thanks so much for your time!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @Eilish - How will these answers be used? Is this just for personal interest? Academics? A news story or article you’re writing?
Hi PeggyTheParti,

This is for personal use, I'm interested in how people are finding information online about their pups and whether it is easy to obtain unbiased answers. I've been raising my now 9 month Standard Poodle and I've just been wondering if something is missing online to help people find answers that is right for them. I just wanted to see if others feel the same. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
1-2. I had my first dog well before the internet, and I got books from the library, as well as my own copy of Dog Training My Way by Barbara Woodhouse. Here I often see Ian Dunbar recommended. I do think it’s helpful, especially for those new to dog ownership, to find one voice you can listen to and follow for most things. Your main reference, because there are a lot of different opinions and it’s helpful to think “this is the one I’m following”.
3-4. when I was younger, I worried what others thought about everything. I’ve realized everybody is soworried about themselves that nobody’s paying attention to me. People can judge for anything. That’s on them; I don’t have time for it!
5-6. no, but I’m rather laidback in dog-rearing as well as child-rearing.
7. yes, it is helpful to know the timelines.
8. no

·
Registered
703 Posts
  1. Where did you look for advice when raising your puppy? - Online, facebook groups, poodle forums, youtube videos
  2. Do you struggle to find unbiased answers to your questions? - No, I don't. I ask for several different opinions, and its easier to filter out whats bias,
  3. Have you ever felt judged for choosing an option that suits your lifestyle that others may disagree with? I.e leaving the puppy to cry out on the first night. - No, its my dog. Your opinions do not need to reflect my opinions.
  4. Have you ever felt worried about asking questions online because of peer judgement? - No, because I strongly believe in what I believe in. Judgement and critizism is a way to learn and grow. I take it as a learning curve, not a personal attack,
  5. Did you/do you ever feel overwhelmed by your puppy and feel unsure if that is normal? - I do not have a puppy, but it seems super normal.
  6. Have you ever felt worried about forgetting important steps in your puppies development? I.e how far they can walk at what age, when you should increase food measurements. - When i fostered puppies, I felt nervous about if I where doing something right. But, I navigated it.
  7. Were you aware of key stages in your puppies life? I.e fear stage? - yes, its kind of obvious when puppies are in fear periods!
  8. Are you currently using any apps to record your puppies or dogs progress? - I use google docs and google docs, and puppr to track my dogs progress :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts