Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you find a good groomer?

How do you know your dog is being well taken care of while there (I read a story on here about someones dog falling off the table XD)?

And how do you make it easier for your dog to adjust to going to the groomer?

(Sorry to sound like such a noob, but my grandmother used to groom the entire families dogs, and now she moved across the country ha ha. So I really have no idea.)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well first I would find out what groomers are in my area.

Call them up and ask: Do they crate? Do they use a noose? Do they tranquilize? How long does my dog have to stay? and any thing else you are concerned about. You can also ask for references and speak to other people who have used them before.

I would look for a groomer who works alone or in a small shop because most of them have the time to do one dog at a time.

To make it better on the dog, make sure they potty before going and have not eaten with in 1 hour before the appointment. For puppies and dogs who have never been groomed before I would just make a bath appointment at first then just a bath, feet, face and tail and then depending on how your dog did go on to a full groom.

Do you brush Ben often?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you know any other poodle owners or owners of other dogs who need regular grooming/clipping? I called someone I knew and trusted to get a recommendation and it worked out very well for me. She recommended a groomer who focused on a positive experience and Murphy loves going to the groomer and always looks great. She also works out of her home and only has one dog booked at a time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I do have a friend that gets their dog groomed regularly, but they bring her to PetSmart... which I don't particularly like, and have been told to stay away from.

And I do brush Ben regularly, which he doesn't particularly enjoy, but is ok for. =]

Thank you Purple Poodle, I was worried I would come off as neurotic bombarding the people with so many questions, but I will for sure do that!

Thank you very much guys!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm a groomer, and I love for people to ask these questions!
It is so much better of an experience for both dog and groomer if the owner does some pre-training. Get your dog used to having his feet handled!!! Practice holding his paws, gradually increase the time. If you have a stable non slippery table, it's also good to get him used to being on and standing on that. Do lots of what your dog might consider "invasive" handling...see if he will allow a stranger to do the same (ie handling his mouth, private parts, lifting his legs, etc.)
I only groom one dog at a time, but I think that is a rarity...honestly it's hard to cover expenses that way!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts