Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done most of Miracle's grooming myself since I got her because she is easy to groom and I learned some new skills. Unfortunately, I injured my wrist and I am now to the point where I am having problems holding grooming tools. I also just moved to a different area so I needed to find a new groomer anyway and I am asking for suggestions on how to find the right person for a dog like Miracle that might become aggressive (growl, potentially put teeth on skin and potentially bite down- she has put her teeth on my skin before and not bit down when I was clipping her nails) when anxious.

I spoke to my other dog's grooming place today and I didn't get a good feeling. Should I request for a groomer to meet Miracle first and pay this person for his/her time, or maybe just see if they can handle clipping her nails? Should I find a groomer that only clips one dog at a time? I even thought of using a mobile groomer that will come to the house.

I correct her behaviors but I am not harsh about it. I want to be able to see how a potential groomer interacts with her- would that be too much to ask? It's hard to just go by reviews.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Your dog might react very different with someone else. Merlin is very anxious and I can’t do his nails anymore but the groomer has no problems (she puts him in a suspended pouch and he is okay).

If you don’t have a good feeling with the person you spoke to, find someone else. Then when you find someone, maybe for the first time stay close. Maybe not in the room, but outside the door, so you can hear what goes on.

You might be surprised. Good groomers have a way with dogs, they see so many...

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I have a wonderful groomer and have recommended her to friends who have difficult dogs. My one friend has rescue toy who hated being groomed. She had taken her groomers at Petsmart, Petoco, even at her vet. All said she was so difficult and PetsMart said they could no longer groom her. She has now gone to my groomer about 4x goes on a regular schedule now and it is going well. she is not nearly as anxious going or coming home. My groomer only does 1 dog at a time, so she schedules so that when you come in the one she has is finished and leaving or has left. sometimes while mine is being bathed the other before him leaves and the next one come gets bathed while we leave. She is so good I best never move.

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
I think good groomers have a special calm confidence that helps dogs who get anxious when being groomed. Remember too that an outside groomer doesn't carry the same emotional state to the work that we do. Also my mom uses a mobile groomer. she used to have a bricks and mortar shop but gave it up for the mobile business not quite a year ago. One good thing is it is a one dog at a time operation.

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miracle's previous groomer she went to a few times specifically worked with rescues, but unfortunately, she is too far away now. If she trusts the person grooming her, she will let them do what needs to be done. She really is the sweetest dog when she knows and trusts someone. The person I spoke to yesterday had an attitude and just basically said "well, we've all worked with dogs with behavior problems here" when I was asking about specific groomers. The person didn't take the time to listen to listen to my concerns, but that's how it is with a busy grooming business I guess.

I'll keep looking...I think a one dog at a time option would be the best for her.

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
Yes, it sounds like you should move on from those folks. It is too bad you hurt your wrist, but I guess we should all really have a back up plan for situations like this. Moving didn't help you out here.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
I wonder if you call the local dog rescues and explain to them, perhaps they have known groomers who they know are good with rescue dogs?

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
Good thought there Skylar!

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
I believe most groomers are so businesslike and emotionally neutral (not forgetting, skilled!) that even difficult dogs submit. My last Scottie had to be muzzled at the vets in his later years, for anything having to do with his feet or legs. The groomer never had a problem. I did witness a first time Pom being fired as a client at my groomer’s. “We can’t work with a dog that bites!” Imagine my worries when I brought my Tasmanian Devil puppy in. He submitted. With an experienced groomer, he’s in great hands.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
One suggestion is to read yelp reviews, another is to go to the salon and watch them work. I did the latter with my puppy Sachii and they were all very good. The owner has done show clips so we decided on a modified show clip; this was a couple months ago. He stands perfectly and is extremely calm.

So last month, I took a chance taking my other poodle, Bella, to her. Bella has always hated it when I groomed her, especially drying and clipping. Well girlfriend allowed herself to be bathed, dried and clipped without the drama, and even sat quietly in her cage until I picked her up. Her groomer said she was touchy about getting her toenails trimmed but she came through. I was impressed and wished I'd found this place nearly two years ago.

I've since been able to bath and dry Bella w/o the drama, and she even tolerated me doing a face shave. Maybe she figured she'd rather stay home for me to it. The next time her coat needs a trim, however, she'll be going back there.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the advice :) I am going to visit a new pet store/grooming salon tomorrow and I am taking Miracle with me in case she gets to meet any of the groomers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you find a groomer you like, and you have the time to do so, (and your dog doesn't mind riding in the car,) you might ask if you can bring your dog in a few times for a meet and greet, tour of the shop, some treats, and then leave. This will make your dog more comfortable with the smells and sounds and people of the shop. I also agree that good groomers have a firm, no-nonsense way of handling dogs that cause them to co-operate.
Good luck finding a good groomer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have done most of Miracle's grooming myself since I got her because she is easy to groom and I learned some new skills. Unfortunately, I injured my wrist and I am now to the point where I am having problems holding grooming tools. I also just moved to a different area so I needed to find a new groomer anyway and I am asking for suggestions on how to find the right person for a dog like Miracle that might become aggressive (growl, potentially put teeth on skin and potentially bite down- she has put her teeth on my skin before and not bit down when I was clipping her nails) when anxious.

I spoke to my other dog's grooming place today and I didn't get a good feeling. Should I request for a groomer to meet Miracle first and pay this person for his/her time, or maybe just see if they can handle clipping her nails? Should I find a groomer that only clips one dog at a time? I even thought of using a mobile groomer that will come to the house.

I correct her behaviors but I am not harsh about it. I want to be able to see how a potential groomer interacts with her- would that be too much to ask? It's hard to just go by reviews.
Dogs4Life, I can only recommend one in CT, who recently groomed the very overdue Ricky and did NOT hurt him, as the previous groomer did. I gave her a laundry list of his ills, ranging from pin in leg to dislocated shoulders to disc disease, and he came home unscathed.

Speaking of which, I could not watch him die, and found a board certified neurosurgeon, and the surgeon was very pleased. Ricky was on his feet next day and eating like a champ. I am visiting him today, and taking him home on Monday. His vet said to give him Trazodone because he is a hyper dog.

I am very happy with my decision. I am sure his recovery will be tough, but I believe I did the right thing.

Thank you to everyone here for your info and good thoughts.

Dogs4Life, let me know if you need that groomer name in CT.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it took me a few months, but I finally found a really great groomer for Miracle! They are new in the area. I visited a few other places, but I just wasn't happy with the vibe at those places, so I did the best I could grooming her myself the last few months. Today I took her to this new place and they were amazing with her! The groomer spent 5 minutes just talking to her and petting her while I was still present, and someone else answered a bunch of questions that I had. When I picked her up, they said she did really well. No growling, no biting, no muzzle needed, and multiple staff members took turns interacting with her and holding her. She did great! What a relief.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I am so lucky to have a great groomer. My neighbor was asked not to bring her rescue poodle (maybe been a large toy or mini size) back to petsMart for grooming. I was told she hates her feet being touched. I told her about my groomer and now her dog no longer minds getting groomed. You just need to find the right one. I would check with your local poodle club or rescue for recommendations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts