Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may remember, poor Maizie does not react well to most flea meds. Comfortis gave her muscle spasms. Frontline did nothing at first and then a couple months later made her itch where it was applied. The Seresto collar made her vomit all the time. She also had a seizure or vertigo episode randomly one day and we still don't know what caused it, but it was around the time I removed the Seresto collar. Unfortunately, we are having a horrible flea problem in CA this year, so I was cautiously willing to try one more thing--Simparica. Well, I am happy to report that she has experienced no negative effects after her first dose. This is what we have them all on now, including our shih Tzu who got sick from Comfortis. It seems to be very well tolerated and it's chewable, which is a plus.

Anyone else have experience with this drug?

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
I have no experience with that particular flea medication but it one that my vet recommends, along with Bravecto (which is what we use)

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I haven't heard of that one but will ask my vet about it when we go for a annual in a few months. Presently we are on Nexgard. My dogs have been on it 5 years with no problem, so Renn is also taking it. However he does not like to chew it. I have no idea why the other dogs love it but not Reni boy, I have to smash it and disguise it. He will eat his heartgard but has to play with it some before he does, the other dogs gobble that down too.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
ZM I hope that good situation with no adverse reaction holds and that you can continue Maizie with it.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I too hope it will work for her as long as the fleas are around! Scooterscout, I had read that article, but once you see your dog suffering from flea bites, biting and scratching 24/7, you get desperate.

Glorybee, I remember when you went through that with Cayenne. So scary :( And my Maltese had a terrible reaction to Advantix. Every dog is different and not knowing if and how they'll react to any of these meds is really frightening.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Hopefully that is a winner for Maizie! We are fortunate to not have an issue with fleas here, though I use nexgard for ticks over summer or when we go down the coast. Paralysis ticks aren’t usually found in Canberra but there have been several cases where they’ve been found, so I don’t want to take the risk!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully that is a winner for Maizie! We are fortunate to not have an issue with fleas here, though I use nexgard for ticks over summer or when we go down the coast. Paralysis ticks aren’t usually found in Canberra but there have been several cases where they’ve been found, so I don’t want to take the risk!
Yikes, I don't blame you!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yikes, I don't blame you!

For sure - it’s thought they are carried back from coastal areas on camping equipment etc. We stick well clear of longish grass and scrub over the summer anyway because of snakes but I feel much better if he’s had the nexgard as well.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Thank you, I too hope it will work for her as long as the fleas are around! Scooterscout, I had read that article, but once you see your dog suffering from flea bites, biting and scratching 24/7, you get desperate.

Glorybee, I remember when you went through that with Cayenne. So scary :( And my Maltese had a terrible reaction to Advantix. Every dog is different and not knowing if and how they'll react to any of these meds is really frightening.

Yes that was scary, so I took all of them off it. I used Frontline on the other 2 and did not have any problem, but that I would try all on Advantix and so far it has worked. Each one is different, I have been lucky in general

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Simparica is what the boys were on up to 6m or so. We changed to Bravecto only because Remo is a pill when it comes to taking pills. Once every 3m was easier than every month.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I use Simparica for Gunner my 2 year old Spoo. We have been using it with success for almost 2 years. He had skin reactions Nexgard, and the vet wisely suggested the chewable Simparica. I hope Maize enjoys it as much as Gunner (and as safely!)

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How awful, kontiki :( Wish "they" could come out with something powerful to kill fleas and ticks, yet harmless to our dogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts