Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peggy has been the worst drinker since day 1. She used to play in her water bowl, which was cute but messy. We solved that by raising it off the ground. But that didn't solve her bigger issue, which is that as she walks away from her bowl, she gets water everywhere. And I don't mean just a few drips. I mean a whole mouthful of water unceremoniously deposited on the floor.

I've heard similar things from other poodle owners, but no solutions until now. A deep stainless steel pail!

Here's the one I got:

Pet Supplies : Indipets Heavy Duty Flat Sided Stainless Steel Pail, 4-Quart : Flat Back Bucket : Amazon.com

That's just one example. I'm sure there are lots of other brands. But because it has hooks and a flat side, I can easily hang it on the outside of her crate with just a tray under it, and we've gone from floor lakes to just normal(ish) little drips:

The key is to get one that's generously sized—ours is 4 qts and so deep, her head practically disappears inside it—but only fill it a couple of inches. That gives the water a chance to run out of her mouth in the time it takes her to lift her head out.

It's not perfect, but it's 80% better. And bonus: She immediately stopped drinking out of the toilets. Hallelujah!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Brings me back to when Fluffy used to dump all his blankets in his water bowl... Ick... That looks like a genius idea! Storing it away for later...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Wonderful idea! How funny that it stopped the toilet drinking?! (A benefit to a small dog is toilet drinking is a non-issue, I’m taking a moment to appreciate that).

I used steel buckets with my aussies years ago. I didn’t hang them, and they did not have a flat side so once or twice they were accidentally dumped. I started using them because they hold a lot of water and are easy to carry/fill/wash.

That’s a cute photo of Peggy.

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brings me back to when Fluffy used to dump all his blankets in his water bowl... Ick... That looks like a genius idea! Storing it away for later...
Ha! So cute when it's not your mess to deal with. ;)

Peggy recently did something similarly silly. She was laying next to me on the couch, and then tilted her head back....back....baaaack....until she'd placed her topknot perfectly in my mug of coffee. Lol. It was like she was ready for a shampoo at a hair salon.

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderful idea! How funny that it stopped the toilet drinking?! (A benefit to a small dog is toilet drinking is a non-issue, I’m taking a moment to appreciate that).

I used steel buckets with my aussies years ago. I didn’t hang them, and they did not have a flat side so once or twice they were accidentally dumped. I started using them because they hold a lot of water and are easy to carry/fill/wash.

That’s a cute photo of Peggy.
It's rather startling to see such an elegant creature doing something so disgusting. I definitely took my mini's size for granted. It's so much easier to poodle proof just the lower two feet of your living space!

At least Peggy's never removed a poop from the toilet like my friend's Golden did. I'm not sure I could ever look her in the eye again after that.

·
Registered
568 Posts
GYAH! Do tell, did she chase down the golden and remove the poop?! Thats one of those memories that could haunt your snuggle time.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
We have a Soggy Doggy Slopmat under our water bowl. We got it when we had our big lab, who could spread water for several feet when he drank. I used to swear he had holes in his lips. The poodles aren't quite as messy, but close, and this works really well.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Y'all should try living with a Giant Schnauzer! They can hold at least a quart in their beards, and just love to come and plop it all in your lap while gazing soulfully up into your eyes. Zephyr is quite dainty by comparison.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Moose, our Great Dane, was such a messy drinker!!!! 🤣 He would drink, look up and water would just pour from his mouth along with drool! He’s been gone almost 2 years and I still will find a spot now and then from him flinging his wet water, drool soaked muzzle around! 🤣I was always wiping the kitchen floor when I couldn’t have his water bowl outside! You had to laugh otherwise you would cry as the kitchen floor was forever wet and dirty. I do so miss that big old goober of a dog! 😥Bobby is quite a tidy eater and drinker and my kitchen floor is much
cleaner and drier. 😊

1 - 12 of 12 Posts