Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to try an all-over simple short cut for a while but couldn't bring myself to do so. But I've finally done it and I do really like it! I had to let Misha's paws and face grow out for a month. I can't stand beards but this kind of plush look is quite nice. I might try sculpting it so it looks more terrier-esque. One reason I've been wanting to do this cut just to have photos of it to show people how poodles can be super versatile in how you groom them.

20210308_172517a.jpg

20210308_172157a.jpg

20210308_172648a.jpg

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He looks fantastic! Can’t decide what’s my favourite part, but I think maybe the paws.
Thank you! I do love the way the paws look, but they are sooo much more messy this way. I have finally confirmed to myself that yes, clean feet are CLEAN!. These fluffy paws keep getting all sorts of sticky substances and burrs caught on them. Granted, it does take a lot more time to keep them shaved. So there is a tradeoff. While I'm super busy, I'll let him keep his fluffy round feet. I can't make any promises once I have more free time though lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Thank you! I do love the way the paws look, but they are sooo much more messy this way. I have finally confirmed to myself that yes, clean feet are CLEAN!. These fluffy paws keep getting all sorts of sticky substances and burrs caught on them. Granted, it does take a lot more time to keep them shaved. So there is a tradeoff. While I'm super busy, I'll let him keep his fluffy round feet. I can't make any promises once I have more free time though lol.
Ha! It’s easy to enjoy Misha’s beautiful styles when I don’t have to maintain them myself. Our trainer very tactfully commented on Peggy’s current look today: “Well..... At least she’s not matted.”

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! It’s easy to enjoy Misha’s beautiful styles when I don’t have to maintain them myself. Our trainer very tactfully commented on Peggy’s current look today: “Well..... At least she’s not matted.”
Hahaha! But it's true! Any clean poodle without matting is a happy dog. And you are making great strides with the grooming! I groomed a friend's elderly maltese a bit ago and was reminded how hard it is to work on a new breed.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Misha looks amazing!! I didn't think he could get any cuter. It will be a very long time before I get another Poodle, but I will also love their coats and how you can trim it. Do you want Misha to look kind of like an Airedale Terrier?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Misha is looking good. I love the cleanness of these lines, lets me admire his build. You are an intrepid groomer, doing what works for you and Misha even when your fan base is surprised. I remember once telling someone who had reservations about maintaining poodle hair that it is relatively simple to run a clipper over a poodle once every month or two for a retriever clip. Well, I no longer think it is quite that simple, lol.

You and I are on the same schedule lately with grooming. I took a bunch of hair off Violet due to my mom needing so much care. She has been in a Miami with leg warmer-style bracelets, top knot taken down to long ears with fluff on top. She looks girly, but so much less hair. This week when I redid her I began her first donut mustache. I love clean faces, but I did promise my husband that I would at least try a fluffy face.
(I still struggle to get decent stacked photos of her, but the first photo is after the first trim down, the second shows 4 weeks growth of a fluff face).
tempImage5fYT2u.png
tempImagel6eiEG.png

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I've wanted to try an all-over simple short cut for a while but couldn't bring myself to do so. But I've finally done it and I do really like it! I had to let Misha's paws and face grow out for a month. I can't stand beards but this kind of plush look is quite nice. I might try sculpting it so it looks more terrier-esque. One reason I've been wanting to do this cut just to have photos of it to show people how poodles can be super versatile in how you groom them.

View attachment 474447

View attachment 474448

View attachment 474449
I love this look. May have to ry this one. Since grooming myself I've learned I'm not that good at it, especially the paws. While I prefer clean feet I can't perfect them, there are always little pieces around his toes that I simply have trouble getting and I'm very apprehensive doing in-between his toes and pads, so there is always a little something poking out and I don't like that look. Leaving a little growth seems like a good fit.. Right now Renns top knot is way to long as well as his ears. May I ask what size blade you are using over all?

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
625 Posts

View attachment 474447

View attachment 474448

View attachment 474449
I really like this style!

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I love this look, he looks elegant. I‘m surprised how much I like the longer fur on his face.

Do you think you will get questions about what kind of dog he is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love the cut! It’s nice and clean and can see his beautiful eyes. And I really admire anyone who grooms their own dog. I bathe my 5 year old toy and have shaved his face but I don’t think I could ever groom Winston (5 month old spoo). I’ve only ever bathed him and managed to trim his nails. Maybe after a few expensive trips to the groomer, I’ll change my mind!

Love the palm trees in background too! Very envious as I am looking out my back patio doors to snow.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
View attachment 474448

, View attachment 474449
He’s such a beautiful boy, I think he looks wonderful—that’s going to be so much easier to maintain...until you decide to let him grow out for a different look! 😉

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I love Misha’s new look ! He is such a good representative of the breed and has such a nice body I think he would look good naked...

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
What size blade did you use? Did you do the legs with the same blade or different? Or is the whole body with the same blade?

·
Registered
275 Posts
He looks very handsome! I really like this streamlined look. I think it's what I will aim for with Oona this summer (with much lower expectations for how close I can get to this, lol). Though I agree about the fluffy feet. Now that we are into mud season and her feet are getting shaggy, I might trim them clean again to see how much it helps. So maybe this look but clean up feet and maybe face a little more often.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
117 Posts
How handsome is he!!! 💙
This was our old spoo's normal look with just a little longer on top. I loved how easy it was to maintain and keep brushed. Now that I'm keeping Winnie's feet clean I may never let them grow out but this will probably be her most common trim also. Misha is a gorgeous dog and a wonderful example of a poodle.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts