Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Okay I have yet another question for you all. :)

I am currently feeding Royal Canine Puppy food and am slooooowing switching over to Evo Red Small Bites. I have been researching that dogs only on Evo act as if they are starving all the time because you feed half of Evo what you would feed with other dog food. Soooooo, I am trying to figure out a filler food to feed with the Evo. I was thinking about canned Pumpkin.

What does everyone else use or think about that?

·
Registered
163 Posts
They don't need a filler food with Evo. Sure, they might be eating less quantity than other foods, but that doesn't mean that they're getting less calories or nutrients. Filler isn't necessary and just creates excess waste.

Evo is a GREAT choice for a small puppy and you want them to have a hearty appetite and eat everything you put down (carefully measured!) right away.

I feed Evo btw for both of my dogs. 9 days out of 10, they eat it all up. Some days they don't eat everything but that's okay.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Our vet had us put canned squash or pumpkin in with Cassies food because she was getting so fat even though she only eats what Gabie eats - I think ha ha - anyway - it seemed to satisfy her. We only give them 1/2 can each of wet Pedigree. It doesn't seem like that much - can't understand why she is sooo fat, when I was grooming her the other day I had to pull the skin on her back by her tail to make sure I got all the hair lol - poor Cassie! lol

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I never realized people do filler food's at times. My Pitbull, Lotus, is a tubby girl. She is 8 yrs old and I just can't keep her weight down. She eats less then the recommended amount listed on the bag but that still doesn't do it.

We tried a weight management food from Eucanuba (sp) specially designed to get the weigt off quick and then you change it to the light food. But she was going bald with in a week and a half. She is so sensitive.

Now she only gets 3 measuring cups of food and she is 95 lbs. Thats not much for a dog her size (10-15 lbs of that is extra weight). Unbelievably she still has a lot of muscle.

I need to look into a filler food that would work for her special needs. She cannot keep gaining weight or keep this weight on..... we'll have problems.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Yes Cassie is very heavy also - she loves the squash or pumpkin - she lost weight then we stopped doing it and she gained again. I think we need to do it for her all the time - she is constantly going to everyone elses bowl to trey and scrounge food! Teddy too!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would wait and see how your dog does with just the Evo before adding any fillers. Some dogs are just eaters and will act as if they are starving no mater that they just ate 5 minutes ago. All of my dogs save for Cici are free fed and they just eat when the get hungry and none are over weight. Cici on the other had will eat until she throws up or its all gone which ever come first. But I think its because she was starved as a puppy/young adult.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My pup will eat 4 cups of food if I put it down..he'll gorge himself.

As pet owners, we alone are responsible for our pets weight and condition. I think one of the biggest mistakes that people make is not taking into account the treats that we feed our pets.

Treat your dogs diet just like you do yours. If you have ice cream every day, are you going to gain weight? Yes! Now think in terms of metabolism and activity level. Ever noticed that 100 pound girl that can eat anything she wants and never gain a pound? Dogs can be the same. The back of the bag is NOT going to be perfect for every single dog. If your dog is overweight, cut back on the food.

A filler isn't doing anything magical for your dog. It might give the illusion that you are giving your dog more food and less calories overall, but it isn't doing anything special. Just cut back. Control your dogs if they are trying to steal food from each other. Feed them in separate rooms if you must.

Some dogs can free feed, some dogs can't. I would say that most can't. I have one of each personally.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
See now for me Pamela, my dogs eat seperatly and obviously don't free feed. Im one who likes to monitor what my dogs intake is on food daily. I don't do treat's that often or do they get table scraps often.

I feed premium food as well. Im definatley going to talk to my vet on what foods I can add so I can cut back her food even more. Im sure they will have some good sugestions for a dog with a sensitive system like hers.

Thanks for the filler info. I didn't realize that was a option but if your vet suggested it then mine may have some suggestions as well.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Pamela,

I do know that the wet food is definately more tasty but does seem to pack on some additional pounds. Do your dogs like dry food? Dry food may help your dogs feel like they are getting more food since they have to chew it. It takes longer to consume then wet food and it will help keep those teeth healthy.

When ever I needed to pack on a couple pounds quickly prior to a show I would feed canned. They can't resist it and it always did the job. lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Canned actually has a lower caloric density than dry food. Of course dogs will eat it much more readily, but you'll have to feed a greater quantity of it or do it in addition to the dry food that they're already eating if you needed weight gain.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The calories depend on the food your feeding. Im sure some are lower but not all.

I do think the best healthy decision on what is best for your dog (filler, canned, dry etc) should be left to a proffessional if a pet owner is having issues.

Thanks again Pamela for the filler info. Im planning on researching that with a few other things. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well the reason wet food has less calories per a given amount is just because of the water. Wet food is 75% water and dry food is only 10% water. So yeah..individual foods will have different values of course, but wet food (of an equal amount) will always have less calories than dry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, so far so good. I have been feeding Cardi small amounts of Evo for a little over a week now and he is doing great. I am going to start going from a 10/90% ratio of Evo/Canine to a 20/80% ratio and see how he does. I think after he is switched all the way, I will monitor how he is acting as far as weight gain/loss, and might add a small amount pumpkin to his meals just to fill his stomach.

Thanks everyone for all your heplful info. This is such a great forum!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That makes sence about the canned food.

With my girl Lotus, she doesn't get much food at all. I have already cut back and she hasn't lost any weight... at all. My thinking is, if I cut her back a little more and suppliment it with a small amount of filler, then that would cut some calories and she would still feel full. Still thinking about it though.

My husband and I were discusing getting her a treadmill last night. Plus due to the colder weather, our walk's are less frequent during this time of year.

Speaking of my walk's.... I look pretty ridiculous! I have my 3 yr old son on his quod, Im pushing my 1 yr old in his jogging stroller with one hand, and two dogs on leashes with my other hand. lol What a walk! :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow...that sounds hard! I can barely manage my two dogs at the same time...I typically walk them separately =/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts