Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So I *may* getting my very first -female- purebred toy poodle soon. I have four males now. What can I expect from a female? (I understand that all poodles, and dogs, have different personalities. I just want some insight and perspectives from current and past female poodle owners).

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
When I got Willow the breeder gave me a packet within was a paper describing what each sex was like. It said the girls like to smell flowers. I thought, "Yeah, right." But, sure enough, Willow stops to smell them. Heard girls love you and bots are in love with you. That may be true.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My honest opinion, is that I love female dogs, but from medium size upwards. The tiny females are over-the-top with drama. Yappy, dramatical, and emotional. The tiny males, to me, are still a low level of those qualities I described. The mid to larger size males are not so emotional, but full of comic, fun and laid back attitude, and the mid to large size girls are very lovely. I have found that larger breed females guard you, and are the caregiver to you, while the male, looks outwards to the perimeter. I did check in with my breeder before getting my male toy poodle, Fenton. She did share that a neutered male is awesome and will love you very much whereas the female toy is more subjective, more emotional and in her opinion, prefers a man over a woman. If I lived alone, I'd have a female toy, maybe. I love the feminism of a dog, but I don't handle the drama all that well. In larger breed female dogs, the drama seems to flip into nurturance and deep caring. In the toys, my experience was the attitude of "its all about me". Period. Just my experiences. (Said with love).

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not aware of any personality differences. I grew up with a female mini, who was patient, easygoing, smart, and very athletic. I now have an 8-month-old female toy, who is lively, smart, adventurous, sociable, a mellow traveler, and very athletic. She's still a puppy, so it's too soon to predict whether she will be patient and easygoing, but she already travels well in her crate and never makes a fuss, so I think she is definitely headed in that direction.

·
3,110 Posts
Hey all! So I *may* getting my very first -female- purebred toy poodle soon. I have four males now. What can I expect from a female? (I understand that all poodles, and dogs, have different personalities. I just want some insight and perspectives from current and past female poodle owners).
Of the 8 Toy Poodles that I've had over the years, 5 of them were males. So that means I've had 3 females ( Trixie, Trina, and Kaydee). My first Poodle was a male. I have never noticed any difference in personalities between males and females. They each had their special traits. With that said, with my last two being females, and with all of my cats always being females, I just personally prefer females. Have never been able to explain why that is. It definitely has nothing to do with anything being wrong with the males. I guess I just like to have an all female clan in my home for now on, lol.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I don't think that they can be characterized by sex - I have had 8 girls, and all of them different (but certainly none of them like Kassie describes). The only for sure difference is how they pee - girls don't lift their legs to mark, and they don't pee on their own front legs or chest.

·
3,110 Posts
I'm not aware of any personality differences. I grew up with a female mini, who was patient, easygoing, smart, and very athletic. I now have an 8-month-old female toy, who is lively, smart, adventurous, sociable, a mellow traveler, and very athletic. She's still a puppy, so it's too soon to predict whether she will be patient and easygoing, but she already travels well in her crate and never makes a fuss, so I think she is definitely headed in that direction.
That's a wonderful description of a Poodle, regardless if it was male or female,
:)

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
From my immense sample of one poodle and one papillon, I would say that the main differences between males and females come from the fluctuating hormones of an intact female - and you will remove the fluctuation if you spay. Beyond that, I think the variation of temperament within the genders is at least as great as between them!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I had one male and 7 females, I really could not tell a difference all toys, however, with the smallest toy 3.5 lbs. she it is all about her, and she wants held 100% of the time, and I would say she is the smartest poodle I ever had but I prefer the female as I can dress them up and they love it

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had one male and 7 females, I really could not tell a difference all toys, however, with the smallest toy 3.5 lbs. she it is all about her, and she wants held 100% of the time, and I would say she is the smartest poodle I ever had but I prefer the female as I can dress them up and they love it
The only dog I have that loves getting dressed up is my ugly little boy mutt!

I've always been told that girls tend to be sassier, they've got that little bit of an edge. Boys are often softer. And I feel there may be some merit to it... but I also realize it could just be that I notice it more because I unconsciously look for it. Hard to tell. Every dog is a spectrum though, so who knows.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
In my experience, Girls are more bossy than boys. But then this could be misogynist BS.
Eric
LOL In all of our family dogs, that has definitely been the case! My little Zooey is the epitome of bossy, and then we go visit home, and Scout (shih Tzu) bosses her around. So yes, I would characterize girls as more bossy, but also super sweet and loving--extremely affectionate.

Boys, in my experience of my own and other people's, are more easygoing and want to please a little more, making them easier to train.

Just speaking in general terms, of course ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
My Addison is the sun and the stars and the moon and... Ok seriously. I love her. She is not too clingy, however, if the boys are getting love, she wants it to. She is a happy, silly girl and I think, quite bright. I adore her and so has everyone who has gotten the chance to know her.

She is 8 months and a standard and I should add that though I do own two little Maltese boys, I have never had a poodle boy for comparison.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I haven't noticed a difference between the two except for their pee habits. And even then, one of my female dogs growing up would lift her leg to pee on occasion. Never got it on her own front legs, though. :laugh:

Prior to Archie, the two dogs I had that were the most velcro-glued to me were both female, while the boy dogs were more equal-opportunity. Now Archie's imprinted like a duckling on a momma duck while my female dog goes for whoever's available (and/or has food). I didn't notice a big difference between my boy foster poodle and the girl foster poodle personality-wise, but they were with me for a pretty short time.

Like someone else said, there seem to be more differences between individuals of the same sex than there are between the sexes as a whole.

Oh, females will tend more toward being persnickety about peeing on wet grass and things like that, since they come into more contact with it than a boy dog does. At least from what I've seen.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
One difference I noticed on many occasions is: that dogs will poo every day in the same selected (and often remote) place. Bitches will poo anywhere that takes their fancy.
Eric.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hilarious thread. I can tell no difference between males and females, except peeing and potential humping, and not having cycles.

I've had awesome dogs of both sexes and various breeds. When I chose my current spoo I went strictly by temperament and health testing back 3 generations. I let go of any preference for color, sex, etc. in the selection process. I am so glad I did. I looked for almost 9 months and he is awesome.

Ha ha,I thought I wanted a grey or other colored female, any color but white...... ended up with a cream/white male that met my specifications. I couldn't be happier.

And.... he smells flowers .... doesn't pee on his legs .... loves all people (except two - one of them ended up in court the next day for exposing himself in the women's room, I am not sure what was wrong with the other) ....... smile :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I only have a female myself, but I train with folks who have both and they say the females are more intense while the male spoos are more laid back. Obviously, that is second hand but it does appear to be true in class anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts