Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am at my wits end 馃槄 and it鈥檚 only been 3 days. Bella is nearing her 11th month birthday. She has been getting along with our new puppy, half sister Paris (4 months). But now we have a problem. As of 3 days ago I鈥檝e noticed Bella has started mounting Paris. I鈥檓 not happy about it.
Bella has been spayed since she was 6 months so I really don鈥檛 understand what鈥檚 going on. Does anyone has any advice to curb this behaviour? I鈥檝e been telling her to stop it but i want it gone completely.
Am I over reacting? Is this normal dog behaviour? Is she trying to tell Paris she鈥檚 the top dog?
All incited welcomes please 馃槪.

Super Moderator
Gracie did it her whole life. And, like with barking, scolding does nothing except possibly make it worse.

You can try to avoid the situations that precede it (e.g. getting over-excited ) but I've never seen anyone successfully eliminate this behaviour.

Will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Gracie did it her whole life. And, like with barking, scolding does nothing except possibly make it worse.

You can try to avoid the situations that precede it (e.g. getting over-excited ) but I've never seen anyone successfully eliminate this behaviour.

Will be interested to hear what others have to say.
I don鈥檛 know what her problem is 馃槱. I was literally standing there looking at them and suddenly she hopped on Paris and I gave her the mom 鈥榣ook鈥 and she hopped off. Ten seconds later she was back again 馃槨. Generally Paris fights her off but since Paris was looking at me she wasn鈥檛 aware until it happened.

Super Moderator
It's completely normal and just a part of dog play. It may go away as Paris gets bigger and is less of a target.
While I do see it happen a lot in play, Gracie didn't reserve it for those occasions. In fact, years ago, as we were all gathered around my infant niece, Gracie decided it was a good time to hop onto that poor baby!!! I was mortified.

Thankfully, that was the only time she ever did it to a human. She mostly did it to her "baby brother" (another poodle mix) whenever he was getting attention, or to any dogs that were playing excitedly. She'd rush in and snarl, grab a mouthful of hair, and run away......or hump.

Did I mention she wasn't very well socialized with other dogs?? 馃槀馃槀

Registered
While I do see it happen a lot in play, Gracie didn't reserve it for those occasions. In fact, years ago, as we were all gathered around my infant niece, Gracie decided it was a good time to hop onto that poor baby!!! I was mortified.

Thankfully, that was the only time she ever did it to a human. She mostly did it to her "baby brother" (another poodle mix) whenever he was getting attention, or to any dogs that were playing excitedly. She'd rush in and snarl, grab a mouthful of hair, and run away......or hump.

Did I mention she wasn't very well socialized with other dogs?? 馃槀馃槀
Haha! That's a hilarious story. Misha's better about it now but certainly went through a hump-first-ask-later stage. He would sometimes hump people if they got down on the ground with him, but I think it's because that made him very excited. It was never to the degree that it was a problem. He seemed to think humping was a way to get other dogs to play with him, but he's never tried humping an intact female (even though he's intact). My response to it was always to separate and avoid further contact so that he wouldn't practice the behavior. But the few times he tried humping a dog that fought back probably did more to teach him than anything I did. He hasn't seen many dogs for the last month and a half, so I'm hoping we don't see any regression.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Oh dear Gracie 馃槀馃槀馃槀. That was not very nice.
I hope Misha doesn鈥檛 regress either.

I hope Paris grows up soon then. It鈥檚 a bit unnerving to see my two little baby poodle sisters humping. While I understand dog world is different my heart is unhappy.
Although this will most likely be a fruitless effort I鈥檓 still willing to try and get her to stop this behaviour 馃槱. It鈥檒l be even more mortifying if Paris learns and practices it.
Hoping for the best.

Registered
My girl Sass chose a loose back pillow from a bergere chair. Fortunately, she limited her activity to the living room. We'd be in the family room and hear the heavy velvet covered down pillow hit the floor and then it started. She did this thru the rest of her life while still physically able. No idea what her motivation was.

You're asking about girls but to compare, my boys did it to each other til almost a year old. They pretty much stopped before they were neutered. I don't know how long it was before I realized that I hadn't had to tell either one to Get Off Your Brother! in weeks. I think it was just play/dominance when younger then maybe a bit sexual as they were maturing, but still mostly play/dominance.

Premium Member
As far as girls humping, I tend to think it is a somewhat dominant move. Stella, whom I've only had 1 year, was totally submissive to Zeke for the first several months. Then after a while, when he would do something dominant to or towards her, anywhere in her direction, now she goes and gets a plushie toy and goes at it like a bunny lol. It's gotten pretty common for her to do that. She's never done anything like that with Oscar, but her toys pay dearly.

Registered
I鈥檝e been visiting a friend in the country for exercise, and encountered humping in her 25 pound American Eskimo. It鈥檚 kind of amusing to see this tiny thing attempt to hump a 26鈥 male spoo. My boy is having none of it and corrects her every time. On our third visit she still hadn鈥檛 learned, and I鈥檓 okay with letting my dog do the correcting because of his size. The smaller dog has been through several homes and perhaps there鈥檚 something in her past that led to this. She does鈥檛 have other canine visitors. Otherwise, they seem to play well together.

Premium Member
This is completely normal behavior. It is often part of play and it can be a sign of being overly excited. The only dog that has ever done a lot of humping in our household has been Lily (spayed bitch) with 2 intact males (but mostly Peeves and mostly when they were both puppies).

Reactions: BellasMomZ

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all your insight guys! After thinking about it and talking to other people I now see that Paris started this 馃槀. So she traps what she sews. I鈥檝e been better at stopping it before it happens so we鈥檙e getting somewhere (I hope).

We just had a play date with a spoo (5 years old and spayed). Out of nowhere she started trying to hump Paris 馃槄馃槄馃槄. She鈥檚 known Bella since she first came home and NEVER tried that so I don鈥檛 know what鈥檚 going on. It鈥檚 a crazy world over here in poodle town.

Registered
Thank you for all your insight guys! After thinking about it and talking to other people I now see that Paris started this 馃槀. So she traps what she sews. I鈥檝e been better at stopping it before it happens so we鈥檙e getting somewhere (I hope).

We just had a play date with a spoo (5 years old and spayed). Out of nowhere she started trying to hump Paris 馃槄馃槄馃槄. She鈥檚 known Bella since she first came home and NEVER tried that so I don鈥檛 know what鈥檚 going on. It鈥檚 a crazy world over here in poodle town.
I've heard before that some dogs seem to have a "hump me" sign on them. There must be something we are missing!

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've heard before that some dogs seem to have a "hump me" sign on them. There must be something we are missing!
Paris might just be one such dog 馃槱. I鈥檒l have to get her a little sweater that says please don鈥檛 jump. I don鈥檛 think I鈥檒l ever get over the shock of seeing a 50lb standard trying to jump my 7lb baby.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I called Gracie the "fun police" because she was never satisfied until all the dogs around her were calm. A little cattle dog in our class is the same way. He rushes in and humps all the wild puppies like it's his job. 馃槀
Loool no no no. Well I鈥檓 about to be the hump police 馃槀. There will be no more humping. I don鈥檛 know what鈥檚 in the air this week but they all need to calm down!

Registered
Zoe (11 lb mini poo) humps Opal (60 lb Labrador) daily to remind Opal who is boss around here. It's pretty funny due to the extreme size difference.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts