Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had written to a few breeders. One just a nice note wrote back. I looked at so many. I *think an AKC linked breeder listed this breeder on her links. no address listed on website or Facebook but I am 99% sure near Cherry Hill NJ.

today as I read more I did find a rant from a few years ago on a miniature poodle forum that this breeder is not reputable, though someone did mention the dogs she breeds are health tested.

is there anyone I can ask about this person? I am unsure if mentioning a breeder or kennel name is an ok action.

I can imagine an unhappy buyer trying to do unwarranted damage but can also sadly see many breeders lack of ethics.

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
If you're not quite comfortable giving the name just yet, you can use the Search or Advanced Search function for the breeders name and see if there's been any discussion here already. Was there any description of why the breeder was considered not reputable?

Also, as PTP said, it's definitely ok to ask for feedback on a breeder you're considering.

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
Was the complaint from a buyer of a very shy, pale red poodle girl? Further down the posts there's mention of the puppy and mother having osteochondrodysplasia?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the complaint from a buyer of a very shy, pale red poodle girl? Further down the posts there's mention of the puppy and mother having osteochondrodysplasia?
I cannot find the shy poodle thread. Not my day for successful searches, which is unusual.

the breeder I contacted has been mentioned here, Darkover poodles. Saw neutral posts here and also suggestions to contact her too. at least that is all i found. The negative thread was on another forum which I cannot find now. Grrr. Also a nice recommendation from an owner on Reddit. the other thread was very negative, while also saying she health tests her dogs. But said her prices were too low. Odd comments, right?

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
I hared off after one of the breeders that Darkover has linked on their website, so NM on the shy red pup question. I was off target there.

The mentions of Darkover on PF all seem positive, with the usual cautions to do your own follow up. I personally would have them on my follow up list.

We're used to doing general web searches for info on everything now but you have to consider and question the reviewers knowledge. I will look at reviews, positive and negative, from owners out in the wild but follow up very carefully.

I don't doubt their positive or negative feelings and experiences but I will question how informed and knowledgeable they appear to be, and if they're experienced with poodles and conscientious poodle breeders. Then I come to PF to see what I can find.

As an example, the shy, red poodle posts I mentioned above weren't on PF. I found very little online from or about the breeder but did find that the person's complaints of the health and temperament issues were based on an incomplete understanding of the science, and possibly miscommunications between them and the breeder.

Without other evidence, I'd file that person's complaint in the dismissed without prejudice category. It'd take more evidence for me to rule out that breeder based on that one complaint.

This goes both ways. If I find a lone voice praising a breeder I wouldn't automatically assume they're a good breeder, especially if there's experiences or information on the negative side noted.

You just need to know what to look for in a breeder and then investigate and weigh your own findings.

I'd follow up with Darkover and see how you feel about each other. If this works out, they'll be a source of support for you and Pup, for Pup's whole life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts