Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clark is nearly 10 months old.
He is displaying some unusual behavior which can be attributed to adolescence.
He has started crying in his crate at night and he has also been pooping in the house.

Prior to this point in Clark's life, he stopped eliminating in the house when we began to teach him to go outside. He also did not cry in his crate at all.

I was thinking that perhaps Clark needs more exercise. The only problem is that the weather has been extremely hot recently. Our vet has warned us about outdoor exercise due to Clark's tiny size of 3.8. We have also been advised to wait until Clark is 1 years old before fixing him because he is so little. He isn't marking or humping so waiting has not been an issue so far.

I feel like such a bad mom. I was so smug because I had a practically perfect puppy and now he's acting up. Maybe it's because I have never had a dog before so I am making stupid mistakes. Help!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I feel your pain with the teenage period. Gracie is seven months and the halo has a little tarnish on it now, lol! The crate and housebreaking are OK but she’s been very bratty at agility training class lately. She was doing so good and the last couple classes it's like someone took her brain away. But this will all pass.

A couple tips-

For the crate, take him out when he whines to make sure he doesn’t have to go, but make it no nonsense, all business, and no playing. Then put him right back in and if he whines, let him. Don’t take him back out. He’ll soon get the message as long as you’re consistent.

For housebreaking, take a few steps back and treat him like he's a little puppy. Crate him when you can’t watch him, take him out every couple hours, and praise and reward when he goes outside.

And you’re not a bad mom, you just have a bratty teenager.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kind words! I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Today I let Clark outside twice instead of just once after he ate.
He pooped outside! I gave him a treat.

Now he's curled up and sleeping. The heat makes him very tired even though I'm careful not to keep him outside for a long time.

When Clark cries in his crate, we ignore it unless the crying is very insistent. At that point, we let Clark curl up next to us and he usually falls asleep. At that point, we put him back in his crate and he goes right to bed.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
AH- success with potty training! That was fast, good work.

About the crate though....that little, 3lb Clark has got you figured right out. When the whining gets insistent is exactly when you have to ignore it. Otherwise, you’re sending a huge, very clear message that insistent whining will get him exactly what he wants- a trip out of the crate and into the coveted space in the big bed.

Now, at ten months, if he’s reliably housebroken (at least at night), you may decide to let him sleep with you. That’s up to you. But if you want him to be in the crate, make sure you’re sending him consistent messages.

Consistency is huge in dog training, and not always easy, and these poodle can wrap you right around their little curls!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AH- success with potty training! That was fast, good work.

About the crate though....that little, 3lb Clark has got you figured right out. When the whining gets insistent is exactly when you have to ignore it. Otherwise, you’re sending a huge, very clear message that insistent whining will get him exactly what he wants- a trip out of the crate and into the coveted space in the big bed.

Now, at ten months, if he’s reliably housebroken (at least at night), you may decide to let him sleep with you. That’s up to you. But if you want him to be in the crate, make sure you’re sending him consistent messages.

Consistency is huge in dog training, and not always easy, and these poodle can wrap you right around their little curls!
You're right! We are letting Clark play us for fools.
I think it's because we're not used to hearing him cry at night. Clark is completely potty trained at night and until recently, I thought he was completely trained but he is being a teenage butt. :D

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Lol- teenage butt, got one of those too.

It’s hard to listen to them whine, especially when you have to get up for work in the morning!

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
Maybe you can get a tiny flirt pole to exercise him in air conditioned comfort. Running through their short list of obedience commands wears out their teenage brains. Keep treating and celebrating outside successes. Have fun with your tiny teen:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts