Poodle Forum banner

Feeling guilty

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Lesleeluvspoodles 
#1 ·
I want to make sure I am doing this right. I am trying to establish a routine the best I can but I have to put him in a pin sometimes. Need to heat my back or ice it 10 minutes or wash my hair....that takes the longest. He cries the calms and cried and calms. He is potting outside very well but I put a pee pad in there he will use it. not my floors though thank goodness. Idk didn't ask or pay attension if breeders did so makes me think they did. Any advise? Am I ok? I just don't want to mess him up. Today I have an appointment and IDK if I should pen him or crate. I'll be home it is 45 min by phone. Sorry for so many questions. TIA

Also in another post someone mentioned pet insurance. Should I get that through the vet?

#2 ·
45-60 minutes? That's a good opportunity for additional crate training. Take him out for pee/poop before crating him, have your meeting, take him out to his potty spot after 60 minutes. If no potty after 5 minutes, put him back in for 15 more minutes. Try again. Repeat every 15-20 minutes until he pees or poops. Then let him out and about after he goes.

#5 ·
When my puppy was young, if I was nearby but couldn’t supervise I put my puppy in his pen. If I leave the house or taking a shower where I’m not nearby to come quickly if puppy has a problem, then I crate.

My puppy is now 9 months old and has earned the right to have some freedom in part of the house if I’m not easily accessible. When I shower, he’s in my bedroom on the bed waiting till I’m done. When I’m cooking he’s on his mat or in the family room.

However when I leave the house for more than a couple of minutes he is crated.

I crated my older dog till she was 1.5 years old and I will probably do the same with my puppy.

It’s a safety issue. When he’s in his crate he can’t get into trouble. He can’t chew on something inappropriately, pull paper off a desk to shred or knock a garbage can over and eat something inappropriately. He has never done these things but I don’t want him doing it when I’m not in the house and can’t respond quickly.

My puppy loves his crate and has decided he prefers to sleep in a locked crate instead of the bed. Both my dogs will go in their crate when they want alone time.

#6 ·
I think that penning him or crating him is a good thing to do regularly. You're keeping him safe and out of trouble, and boundaries early on can help prevent separation anxiety later!

You clearly care and are asking for advice when you need to. You're doing your best and your best is pretty darn good! We're here for you and I think your little man will turn out great.

As for pet insurance, it's not something you get through your vet. There are various pet insurance companies that offer it and it reimburses for some medical costs. My pups are insured through PetsBest, but there's a lot of them and some are better for certain things than others and the costs can vary. Some people prefer to "self-insure" with savings. That's possible, but it can be hard if you're not starting out with savings and there's an issue early on. Also for various reasons some people aren't able to have savings at all, but can add the $$ for pet insurance to their budget. It depends on what your situation is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.