Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jenna has been free fed for 4 years now and I'd like to get her on a schedule, iv'e tried feeding her when we get up and when i get home but shes not eating! So far what iv'e done is that i offered her her food and wait 5 minutes and if she doesn't eat i put it back away till her next meal but she rather eats her 1 1/2 cup of food in the morning and doesn't eat at night or eats at night and not in the morning. Is it better just to let her eat all through the day Or how can i get her to eat both her meals ? ( Shes a standard poodle and weighs about 65 Pounds , according to the feeding chart she should be eating 3 cups a day )

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The reason I prefer schedule to free feeding is that free feeding causes food to loose value and makes training more difficult, because you don't have that option as motivation.

That said, except for that reason, as long as your dog is self-regulating her weight and not overweight, there's really not a reason she MUST be on scheduled meals.

If you really want to do it, I'd put food down for meals, leave for 10-15 minutes, then take up and don't worry about it. She will eat when she's hungry. The most important thing is not to fuss over the food, don't stand over her begging her to eat, don't pick up the food and add things to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts